Short trips on the CB500x in my local area

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
The first proper ride out on my new CB500x
I felt a bit like I was on a BMW, riding out to a coffee shop LOL. I've owned BMWs!
But it was a nice ride out.
The view point is on the way to Chulaphorn Dam in the Phu Khiao/Khon San area.
N 16.50742 E 101.69127

The road there was good, going through a lot of villages, there was even a bit if gravel/dirt road to contend with, then heading in the the hills and mountains. Coming back I stayed on the bigger roads but even they were good. No stops on the way there or back as it was more of a run out for the new bike.
Once there the view was great. There was a food stand and a coffee place, they grow and grind their own beans.

tl7tU13l.png

OqVmvkol.jpg

dFsUq3Dl.jpg

La7n2eDl.jpg

N8IgfsUl.jpg

Pt2cop8l.jpg

yWZFfF5l.jpg

UhvDun6l.jpg

N2loxJql.jpg

2TWw2Srl.jpg

Wayne

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Love this "I felt a bit like I was on a BMW, riding out to a coffee shop LOL. I've owned BMWs!"
Its good to see everyone has a different riding style & bike appreciation.
Having ridden a 500X that's the last thing I would have thought of, but it's good to know you were sufficiently impressed to call it that way.
Well done.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
A 2 day trip around Phu Tap Beok & Phu Kradueng areas.

12/13 Feb 23

It was great getting out on the bike and doing a couple of days away.
I had just had my 1000km service so it was time for my friend from Roi Et and I to have a ride out.
We planned on going to the Phu Tap Beok and Phu Kradueng areas on some of the smaller roads. This happened on day one but day two was a bit hit and miss.

I was going to meet my mate at a PTT fuel station just outside Chum Phae as it was on the route to where we were going, rather than him come out of his way to come to mine. He had done 170km before we started the trip.

NIu1XIa.jpg

HXGEgN5.jpg

Ready for the off

Once I got to the station it was time for a coffee and wait, I was there about 30/40 minutes before Fred turned up

fMyXJ82.jpg

So, another brew was in order, then a fill up of fuel. We were then off!!

j2n05VW.jpg

Day 1

zwH3ALp.jpg

Day 1 Google Earth

8qppNgQ.png

Close up of the last km's as we close in to the campsite

We had planned on stopping at a waterfall at the start of the trip, (hence the bit that sticks out early on the route) however when we got there it was closed. So we did an about turn and carried on. It was only about 8Km from our turn off so it was no great loss.
The roads on day 1 were great, some long straights, some long flowing corners and some tight hairpins later on. All with a lot of ups and downs, and I don't mean problems. So a good mixed day in my opinion
We didn't have places planned to visit we just stopped as and when for food and photos

jVgwnmK.jpg

Nam Nao

xgmLuRR.jpg

NzsFhO8.jpg

Once we had got some K's under the belt it was time to feed my stomach so we stopped at a noodle place on the outskirts of Nam Nao

EdeHd3N.jpg

lksH4O9.jpg

Tom Yum Pork Noodles

Fed and watered it was time to get a shifty on.

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued

Once we had left the noodle place we continued on the 2216 and followed it all the way to where it meets the 21. We stopped a couple of times on the 2216 to take some photos but other than that it was just time to enjoy the road. The 2216, is about 100km long riding route in Phetchabun province of Thailand. Sweeping curves and tight corners, high elevation, steep up to 12% at certain stages. The best part of all, hardly any traffic.

NCW2hqL.jpg

AfKXmsn.jpg

c1Cn9gx.jpg

NTUo5TJ.jpg

zTzReDI.jpg

SLGCUFP.jpg

From there we got on to the 21 for a bit then turned right at some traffic lights and got on to the 3013, this led us on to the 2372 before we turned right again and on to the 2331, which went up and up to the Phu Tap Beok. The 2331 is a scenic road with some great views of the valley below, lots of bends, and sharp up hill hairpins. You are climbing all the time.
Once we neared the entrance to the Phu Tap Beok National Park we slung another right and head up to where the campsite was.

8XqvzX3.jpg

CFJ4AQ2.jpg

Fred on his CB500x

RBxEiQG.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued

When we got to the campsite we parked up the bikes and went to pay for the pitch. If you don't want to carry a tent they have tents and small bungalows there for you to use. A pitch for your tent was THB 100, about GBP 2.40

auTjolN.jpg

Some views from the campsite viewpoint, we were at about 1600 meters

spldNpd.jpg

gAX5fOf.jpg

JjFNlMs.jpg

This is the road we had just ridden

4TiRLes.jpg

GoQShg6.jpg

Time to set up shop for the night

uYCkkk2.jpg

A room with a view

Reactions: Heineken

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued

When we had got sorted out it was that time, beer o'clock
So we sat and chilled for a bit before going to get some food.

Z6C57yS.jpg

There was a restaurant a stones throw from where we were sleeping, so we walked over a grabbed a bit to eat.
There was a nice view from the restaurant.

xM3GE78.jpg

XKmiap5.jpg

I had a prawn kind of soup with some omelette in it with herbs. It tasted good, but little did I know I was going to reap the rewards later.

eAqTFe0.jpg

When we had finished eating we went back to the tents armed with some more beer and carried on the motion, it was also beginning to get a bit chilly, 15 degrees. Fortunately I had brought my fleece and Fred got in his sleeping bag after putting his fleece on.

vNPQxoc.jpg

We rounded the evening off with a tot of 15 year old Dalmore which I had put in a hip flask

LXfGE2k.jpg

N7IJBro.jpg

As time was getting on, it was time to hit the hay
Then my fun and games began

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued

Well! All was going great, in the tent, nice and warm in the summer sleeping bag until about 0015 hrs and then it hit me, I am glad I woke up. I needed the loo so bad. The toilets were 5 baht a go and I had 3 coins. I managed to get there just in the nick of time. Such pain in my stomach. No loo roll but thankfully a bum gun. Anyway, that was done and I set off back to my tent and as soon as I got there I need to go again, another 5 baht down. Once I had done I managed to get back to the tent and have another 3 hours sleep before it hit me again, my last 5 baht. This time I stayed up as my stomach was churning. Now I think about it I think is was the prawns.
I stayed awake this time as I could not settle. On a plus side I managed to get some night shots of the valley below.
At about 0500 hrs I needed to go again, no 5 bahts, I did however have a tent, and a plastic bag, I will leave the rest to your imagination lol
By about 0600 the shops had started to open and I managed to get some change for the next round.
We were going to go to a temple on the top of Phu Tap Beok with a large stupa but I said to Fred that I need to find a Pharmacy in either Lom Sak or Lom Kao.
I needed some Imodium and quick. I do carry a First Aid Pack with bandages, plasters, and headache stuff etc but I didn't have any Imodium, school boy error on my part.
We left the campsite at around 0800 hrs after my last visit to the loo.

5QrYVqV.jpg

FhZ4FwD.jpg

BlhV3ao.jpg

M06jhtt.jpg

VLyj212.jpg

Just as the sun was starting to break

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued

Everything was packed and we were ready for the off, I had my last visit to the loo then got my kit on.

gICJnGG.jpg

kK15JOq.jpg

bXq1Vgt.jpg

Day 2

E8RqZdz.png

Day 2 Google

On the way down I stopped and took a few more photos, then it was off to the Pharmacy in Lom Kao.

v93U5k5.jpg

Looking back at where we had come from

VZLt7Hq.jpg

5e8XyAh.jpg

That done, we set off on the last leg the trip

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
2 day trip continued, the end

I cannot remember what the route was going to be but we ended up doing the 21, then slung a right on to the 2002 on to the 2140 to Wang Saphung, then south on the 201, past Phu Kradueng and towards home.

Thankfully the Imodium type stuff I had taken was kicking in so that made things easier.

The 21 going north from Lom Kao was not too bad with some long and tight turns with some good straights to say it was a major road.

AVJbQEa.jpg

0OmqWZ9.jpg

I took the above photos when I stopped to wait for Fred as I had lost him in my mirrors for awhile, he is normally right with me or in front paving the way.
Once I had taken the photos I turned round and went to look for him, about 3 k's back down the road I found him.

h5rDiFa.jpg

He was not feeling too great also, but it wasn't the prawns as he didn't have them

We pushed on some more and stopped at a roadside food place for some much needed grub and fluids.

6Nn4Fem.jpg

The food place, approximately N17.20556 E101.159546

CbOM08h.jpg

I had pork fried rice but couldn't manage it all, I did take on some fluids, note to oneself, carry electrolyte also
We chatted about what to do, turn round or move forward, either way was ok for me but Fred still had another 170km to do once we parted.

We decided to move on as there was only about 50km in it for Fred whichever way we went.
So we carried on up the 21 head towards Loei then turned on to the 2002 which led us on to the 2140.

VhpQSy5.jpg

On the 2140

T0blBVl.jpg

A shot near Pha Nok Khao

Once the 201 met the 12 we parted company he went left towards Khon Kaen and I went right to go home.

The trip was good, even though a bit marred, it was good to get out again. It's all part of the trip, good and bad!

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
4 day trip to Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong

Day 1 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - Part 1

Got my usual hot coffee from our business in my flask cup and off I went
Route, the 12, 2216, 21, 2014 and 2113
The day was very overcast as you can see by the photos further down
However it was a good days riding, nice and steady, I try to limit it to between 150 and 200 km a day so the ride is leisurely and not too long. I also keep the speed down, I might have touched 90kmh once lol otherwise, road dictating, I tend to stay at around 80. I ride to enjoy the road and scenery and not blast past.

The first part of the day was taken up with a road that I did on my last short trip, the 2216. I did this road because it kept me off a long main road and also because it’s a nice road to ride
Apart from the short stint on the 12 and 21 the roads were a lot of tight and sweeping bends with lots of up and down. What more do you want!!

ctttZO2l.jpg

za7KWsPl.png

zNJ22HOl.jpg

mVUaHlol.jpg

hTBJtmll.jpg

QObtHw2l.jpg

UTWnnwul.jpg

5hqCvqP.jpg

I4rbKLv.jpg

ov1JYDm.jpg

QrLqd1x.jpg

z81aPmY.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
2 day trip continued

Well! All was going great, in the tent, nice and warm in the summer sleeping bag until about 0015 hrs and then it hit me, I am glad I woke up. I needed the loo so bad. The toilets were 5 baht a go and I had 3 coins. I managed to get there just in the nick of time. Such pain in my stomach. No loo roll but thankfully a bum gun. Anyway, that was done and I set off back to my tent and as soon as I got there I need to go again, another 5 baht down. Once I had done I managed to get back to the tent and have another 3 hours sleep before it hit me again, my last 5 baht. This time I stayed up as my stomach was churning. Now I think about it I think is was the prawns.
I stayed awake this time as I could not settle. On a plus side I managed to get some night shots of the valley below.
At about 0500 hrs I needed to go again, no 5 bahts, I did however have a tent, and a plastic bag, I will leave the rest to your imagination lol
By about 0600 the shops had started to open and I managed to get some change for the next round.
We were going to go to a temple on the top of Phu Tap Beok with a large stupa but I said to Fred that I need to find a Pharmacy in either Lom Sak or Lom Kao.
I needed some Imodium and quick. I do carry a First Aid Pack with bandages, plasters, and headache stuff etc but I didn't have any Imodium, school boy error on my part.
We left the campsite at around 0800 hrs after my last visit to the loo.

5QrYVqV.jpg

FhZ4FwD.jpg

BlhV3ao.jpg

M06jhtt.jpg

VLyj212.jpg

Just as the sun was starting to break

Disento used to be my cure for the liquid squirts & tummy cramps, but sadly you can't get it anymore.

1683903953060.jpeg

If anyone sees any of this for sale, please let me know. Buy it all up.
Disento was amazing, I have had guys on rides vomiting & liquid squirting, but within 10 minutes of 2 Disento tabs they are ready to ride.
The replacement medication I have now is
1683906218204.jpeg

This one Coccila is also very close to Disento.
1683906260254.jpeg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 1 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong, Thailand - part 2

On my last trip I wore my RST adventure suit trousers and off road body armour with an off road shirt.
This time I wore my full RST adventure suit, which I have had for years. It’s well vented and it seems to be working well when on the bike, but the main reason I wore it was so that I can take it off when I stop, as this is more of a PITA when you wear off road stuff.

I stayed in the Na Haeo Resort in Ban Mueang Phrae
Price was THB 690, on booking.com. Rooms were nice, however my first room had a lot of ants, up the walls and in the shower area. They moved me to another room. There is no food here but there is a 7/11 and local vendors selling food on an evening, it’s 5 minutes away on the bike. Pork fried rice and a chicken red curry to take away and eat outside my room.
The bike was parked outside my room.
I would use the place again.

AcrWDFdl.jpg

oJaj3jSl.jpg

fXSChupl.jpg

tdu0aVMl.jpg

PvX9362l.jpg

6SVuk6gl.jpg

IOre2Lvl.jpg

L9q6XjMl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 2 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - part 1

The road today was great , 2195 all the way from my room last night and into Chiang Khan
I followed the edge of the Hueang River from Ban Mueang Phrae to where it meets the Mekong River at the Chiang Khan skywalk then followed the Mekong into Chiang Khan
The road was great to ride, much the same as yesterday, lots of tight and flowing bends with ups and downs over the top of hill and mountain ranges.

EnKH13Xl.png

6enLzgtl.jpg

SFMbFu0.jpg

My first view of the Hueang River

qSzGZ63.jpg

WDePW6Y.jpg

mIv5bIL.jpg

uZ6Z6qz.jpg

aWdI576.jpg

yQw0KkE.jpg

G5jmz3G.jpg

RKWpmkd.jpg

vdwWt6q.jpg

5w5vTMq.jpg

ogS6GYP.jpg

The people in the photo above were moving bales of straw from the bank I was on to the embankment in the middle of the river, they were being closely watched by 2 guys in civvies carrying M16's, possibly Immigration Police to ensure they don't go all the way over the river and in to Laos. I think they were selling the straw to someone from Laos hence it was being monitored

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 2 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong, Thailand - part 2

I didn't stop at the Chiang Khan Skywalk as I was only there 2 months ago when my mother came over, so I thought it pointless to go again
It is however in my opinion a good place to go and visit.
You cannot take your own vehicles to the top. There is a car park at the bottom, there are also some kiosks when you buy your ticket to go up and get issued your red velvet slip over shoes, a bit like those CSI slips over.
Then you get on a large tuk tuk type vehicle and it takes you to the top

077aFGwl.jpg

Where the River Hueang meets the Mekong

jh3IeU9l.jpg

eDgu0S4l.jpg

01tFgh5l.jpg

z18D0Vkl.jpg

ERXZZ0Kl.jpg

Wayne

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wow
ogS6GYP.jpg

"The people in the photo above were moving bales of straw from the bank I was on to the embankment in the middle of the river, they were being closely watched by 2 guys in civvies carrying M16's, possibly Immigration Police to ensure they don't go all the way over the river and in to Laos. I think they were selling the straw to someone from Laos hence it was being monitored."

That's interesting. Did you see anyone from the Laos side come to get a bale?
I'm often astounded about what the Lao come to buy in the Ban Champong Wednesday market near Chiang Khong, as I surely thought they would have many of the same products available on the Lao side, or should be able to produce them themself, but no. Poor old Laos. "The Vietnamese plant rice, the Cambodians watch it grow and the Lao listen to it grow?"

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Wow
ogS6GYP.jpg

"The people in the photo above were moving bales of straw from the bank I was on to the embankment in the middle of the river, they were being closely watched by 2 guys in civvies carrying M16's, possibly Immigration Police to ensure they don't go all the way over the river and in to Laos. I think they were selling the straw to someone from Laos hence it was being monitored."

That's interesting. Did you see anyone from the Laos side come to get a bale?
I'm often astounded about what the Lao come to buy in the Ban Champong Wednesday market near Chiang Khong, as I surely thought they would have many of the same products available on the Lao side, or should be able to produce them themself, but no. Poor old Laos. "The Vietnamese plant rice, the Cambodians watch it grow and the Lao listen to it grow?"
No David I did not, they could have already been helping out, getting up on the bank on the Laos side look fairly easy, it's just my assumption, especially as they were being watched by 2 guys with M16's. Getting the bales from there might have been closer than getting them from a place in Laos.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 2 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - part 3

I stopped at Tha Li for some food and then carried on the motion
Another great day on the bike
The plan was to camp tonight but when I got to where the camp site was supposed to be I could not find it so I ended up in The White House guesthouse in Chiang Khan, N17.89348 E101.65114 not too far from Walking Street. I did a bit of a look see on Booking.com to see if there was any places with secure parking. Then I went to find them before booking. The first one I went to look at I could not find, so on to the second one, the lady there spoke really good English and when I asked her about the parking she said here, just in front of the guesthouse, I said no, so she said I could put my bike inside the foyer. Happy with that.

RAggDhvl.jpg

vD98p7ql.jpg

K914700l.jpg

The River Hueang

0YxB9nll.jpg

hiZM04ql.jpg

The Mekong, just outside Chiang Khan

0Y5uPtQl.jpg

jRv4nUml.jpg

6Kk3U9nl.jpg

w7JI2sCl.jpg

View from the rear of the guesthouse, The Mekong and Laos

Walking Street Chiang Khan

BSx5UWGl.jpg

NcEqonul.jpg

QJ81ASal.jpg

9nhHmksl.jpg

I found this nice little place selling craft ales

UzLsorMl.jpg

2z1vF4zl.jpg

Wayne

Reactions: Ughetto

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 3 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - part 1

It was very overcast all day and I did get a few spots of rain
However it was nothing to wet the roads and spoil the ride
Although getting wet is part of riding a motorcycle it’s better if it doesn’t!
I took the 211 from Chiang Khan on to the 242 into Nong Khai following the edge of the Mekong
The roads yet again were great with yet more twisties and ups and downs coupled with some stretches of dual carriageway
The Mekong looked very dry in some places especially early on after leaving Chiang Khan. It some places it looked like you could walk across into Laos

7afCFSfl.jpg

h4bldwUl.jpg

aOE3AELl.jpg

kKBoqrbl.jpg

rdj2Mq9l.jpg

GovNTOpl.jpg

YUCWwDll.jpg

l7ITr8Ll.jpg

e6DQasBl.jpg

jnTl1wOl.jpg

Udh7dSVl.jpg

fomII0hl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 3 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - part 2

I stopped at Sangkhom for a coffee and some food, the couple running the food place spoke excellent English, they were both in the hotel trade in Hui Hin and Phuket before coming to settle in Sangkhom, the food was tasty
The Coffee Shop is at N 18.062849 E 102.275622 and 2 doors to the right as you're looking at the coffee shop is the food place.

I didn't follow the main drag into Nong Khai, I went on some smaller roads following the edge of the Mekong

When I got to Nong Khai I stopped at the Irish Bar on Walking Street and had a quick pint before going to the hotel

I stayed in the Asawann Hotel near the Asawann Shopping Complex. Rooms were good, breakfast great

6KsEmtTl.jpg

5sP2GYVl.jpg

hiAMMgXl.jpg

mIfZaoIl.jpg

CiNjIacl.jpg

My first view of Vientiane, Capital of Laos

3YHDnivl.jpg

72y9inWl.jpg

NP3xZgZl.jpg

XRMpIuTl.jpg

9BwceCUl.jpg

The Irish Bar, Walking Street, Nong Khai

i9ldjGYl.jpg

OWGDTcbl.jpg

Qa3Qvn0l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 4 - Isaan's northern roads, following the Rivers Hueang & Mekong - The end

When I went down for breakfast it was drizzling, although it was my last day and the ride home, I didn’t relish getting wet through.
Once I had packed the bike it was still coming down, time to go.
A bit of luck, about 2 k’s down the road it had stopped and the roads were dry.
The plan was to take the 2 to Udon Thani then follow the ring road round to the 210, which goes to Nong Bua Lam Phu, then the 228 in to Chum Phae and home.
On my way into Udon I missed the ring road turning as I was in the wrong lane and ended up in a short tunnel, a quick about turn and I was on the right road.
It was, however, a bit of a boring road so I set the sat nav for some smaller roads and had a good ride, eventully!

Total of 790.6 k’s over the 4 days.

34k0plTl.jpg

FGFvw9Yl.jpg

KAOummml.jpg

mnTcKyEl.jpg

4OSALZvl.jpg

dS7srzrl.jpg

jNn1hhCl.jpg

Qw2710Vl.jpg

VhabxYLl.jpg

E3l5hjfl.jpg

zv5XceEl.jpg

suGAyMll.jpg

7fEP67kl.jpg

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
A few hours out doing my 90 day report

That time came around again. It was time to visit my not so local Immigration Office for my 90 day report. Instead of taking the car and going down the main dual carriageway I decided to take the bike and take a more scenic route, going on the dual carriageway is about 220km round trip, scenic route was about 234. Most of the journey was done on Route 2159
I took the same route out and back. Just riding straight there and looking about then on the way back stopping at Mahachulalongkorn Rajavidyalaya University (Chaiyaphum Monk University), Mueang Chaiyaphum, the Chaiyaphum Provincial Culture Centre and the entrance to the Phu Laen Kha National Park.
There was also time for a nice coffee at the Warmhouse Cafe and Bakery at N 16.14639 E 101.90717, very nice indeed
I also stopped at Robinsons in Chaiyaphum to go to Top Market to get some bits I cannot get in Chum Phae.
Anyway it turned a mundane run out into a good run out.

EgI5Ed0l.png

dyU2nbol.jpg

VtGYUlql.jpg

MUzc9kNl.jpg

O7aW4Kzl.jpg

wANtPvCl.jpg

Mahachulalongkorn Rajavidyalaya University (Chaiyaphum Monk University), Mueang Chaiyaphum

u0G1iO5l.jpg

QLWa79vl.jpg

azXDGJOl.jpg

hAYtbndl.jpg

Chaiyaphum Provincial Culture Centre

WB3Lk3Sl.jpg

k6KN4zIl.jpg

nYT93Ycl.jpg

p4lHDgIl.jpg

Clc7Erwl.jpg

Okh0QJql.jpg

Warmhouse Cafe and Bakery