Dirt Bike braking???

Feb 13, 2010
Just went off in search of a trail that would connect me up from the housing construction area on canal road to the reservoir and then through the back side of Doi Sutep to Mae Sa because i know there are some nice trails up top that I found once.

Found the way which was a mix of offroad and some nice single tracks with some diverse terrain, ending on 1096 right at Wawee Coffee by the elephant camp.

One thing I noticed was that in the past I keep losing my "rear" brakes. I have to throw water on them all the time because they get heated up too much. I bought a new pair of back brakes that seemed a bit better ("except they are squeaking a bunch") though I lost them again today going down hill. I've been trying to ride more and brake less and focus more on the line I'm taking and down shifting. I've also lowered the brake pad and been working to keep my right foot more back on the peg.

Any advice that you think I'm missing would appreciate the advice.

Cheers

Aug 29, 2008
dunno, but tried the same today and missed a turn,came out other side of pong yeng, then stopped at wawee.
nice to see elephants bathing while drinking coffee
I'd like to see which route you took to there.
never had a problem with the brake though, I tend to use engine braking when I can

Feb 13, 2010
I tried to go right, right, right.... and hope not to do a full circle.... amazes me how many forks on those back trails of Doi Sutep there are. If you want to ride tomorrow I would be up for it Airikki???

Oct 12, 2005
ChiangmaiDiver - Great to see you out enjoying the trails of Doi Sutthep. Some fun singletrack all over the mountain.

On thing that may help with your rear brakes is that when you are riding your foot may be accidently engaging the rear brake. A lot of times the rear brake pedal is adjusted to sit too high up in its stroke and your boots end up engaging the brake slightly which leads to heated up brakes and boiled fluid. There is a 10 or 12mm bolt adjustment on the pedal that will allow you to lower the brake pedal relative to the right footpeg, and keep you from accidently dragging the rear brake and heating up your brakes on your rides. Might be worth a look.

Best of luck.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ChiangMaiDiver wrote:
One thing I noticed was that in the past I keep losing my "rear" brakes. I have to throw water on them all the time because they get heated up too much. I bought a new pair of back brakes that seemed a bit better ("except they are squeaking a bunch") though I lost them again today going down hill.

Cheers
I wonder what pads you bought & are using?
Goldfren are readily available in many of the big bike shops, but I reckon they are bloody terrible & yeah they "squeak" a lot.
I'd strongly recommend you switch over to EBC. :thumbup:

Sep 27, 2007
Hello Chaingmaidiver, and many thanks for the plug David!

For your dirt bike application I have EBC TT Carbon grade and R Sintered grade pads available. These materials are specially developed for fade resistance and durability for off road riding conditions where you will encounter mud, sand, water etc. I also have an MX-S off road race grade available.
Please PM me for prices, or click the EBC ad banner at the top of the forum to send an enquiry.

As a general maintenance tip make sure your brake fluid is changed at least once a year to help avoid brake fade. Moisture is gradually absorbed into the brake fluid which can vaporise when the caliper gets heated during braking. You can also check that the caliper piston is moving freely and allows the pads to back off the disc when you release the brake pedal. A sticking piston may cause the pads to rub continuously on the disc and cause overheating.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,