DMV inspections every 5 (?) years - only at their premises?

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
The time has come for them to verify the VIN & engine number and whatever else they are checking.
Could we get an inspector to come out for a payment? How do bike shop handle this?

At the Post Office, they wouldn't accept the paperwork due to this inspection.

Location is Nan.

Thanks,
Chris

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
hs0zfe;268094 wrote: The time has come for them to verify the VIN & engine number and whatever else they are checking.
Could we get an inspector to come out for a payment? How do bike shop handle this?

At the Post Office, they wouldn't accept the paperwork due to this inspection.

Location is Nan.

Thanks,
Chris
I have 5 vehicles that all need yearly inspections. I have never had them done at the DMV. In Chiang Mai, there are many inspection shops located around the city and surrounding area. Usually about a 10 min job and about 60 baht. I can't speak for Nan.

Jan 27, 2011
I was just wondering how much they inspect on the 5 year inspections ?? I don't have to worry for another 4 years. But do they do emissions test. The reason I ask is I have changed Pipes and air intake and fuel controller. I am also getting ready to remove the secondary air with the PAR valves to stop the deceleration popping and coughing I get.
Now that I have done this she runs better and a lot more power, but I have changed the emissions a little bit I think.
Am I going to have to worry about this in 4 years???

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Yes, they do an emissions and a sound check. They also check all the lights, horn, etc. Sound scary? With any of the new bikes, I don't think you have to worry about the emissions even with the changes you have made. They are not using a very high standard, just look at what is out there.

As for noise, they started my Yamaha TDM 850 with rather loud exhausts. The two inspection guys just laughed at each other, and then moved the sound pickup (microphone?) farther from the exhaust. Passed!

This is why I always use "off premise" inspection shops; I think they are likely to be far more lenient, especially if you act like you don't understand a word they are saying. If you don't pass at one, go to the next. I have never had to do this, as I always pass and sometimes they don't even bother starting the motorcycle, they just "rub" the VIN number, stamp the form, and you are out of there.

Jan 27, 2011
Thanks SilverhawlkUSA
That makes me breath a little easer. It would be a pain in the $$$ to put it back stock. I just hope they have enough cord on there sound pick up to do the trick.