Don't drop your guard - petty theft

Mar 30, 2010
Good reminder today to all to not drop your guard while travelling.

At Tad Lo today an American had his bag stolen while swimming by the river.

He took his eye off his bag only for a few minutes.

We had just come back from a ride and as we rode in to Tad Lo Lodge I looked over at the main area that the tourists and local kids gather to see how busy it was. Parked the bikes, showered and changed and were having lunch when an American guy came up to us panicked asking if we saw anything. I looked and the same foreigners were there as when we came in but the local teenagers were gone.

To cut long and distressing story for the American guy short. The local kids had stolen his bag and the adults retrieved his passport, bag and some items but the cash, iPhone and other valuables were too hard too part with.

Take care and don't let your guard down. I have the feeling this was not the first time for these kids and won't be the last time after the bag off goodies they have now.

Cheers,
Brian

Dec 27, 2007
Bummer :(

Where is Tad Lo?

FWIW I find I have a lot less problems with theft here than I do in the US...

T

Mar 30, 2010
Agree with you. This can happen any where.
Good timely reminder to all to keep your eye on your gear and not let it out of sight

Could have been a real disaster if he didn't get the passport back..

A friend in Pakse that has lived in Laos said if this happens to call their bluff and tell them you will go to the police and govt officials as they don't want the govt officials involved.

Tad Lo is approx 27 km south of Saravan. 400 metres plus above sea level on the way up the Booleven plataue

Cheers,
Brian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks for the tip off Brian; but I have to say that there could not be too many places in the world were you would leave your valuables alone / unprotected while you went swimming & then expected them to be there when you came back. But such is the idyllic serenity of Tad Lo that perhaps the victim got lured into a false sense of security.

Mar 30, 2010
Hi,

Let me put this in a bit more perspective.

It wasnt like the guy went for a 400 or 500 metre swim around the river bend.

His gear was 10 or 15 metres away. When you get in the river your gear is out of sight. Easy to mis judge.

Point trying to make is. Don't drop your guard.

Dec 7, 2008
Up in Chang Saen about a month ago I had someone try to twist off the locks on my Jesse bags while my bike was parked out in front of the guesthouse. Always remove anything you do not want to grow legs and walk off. Lock all lockable bags and double lock your bike to an unmoveable object or another bike.