Driving or riding a Malaysian registered vehicle into Laos

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by plsclickme, Sep 8, 2011.

  1. Hi All,

    I am planning a trip to either ride or drive (solo) into Laos with my Malaysian registered 4x4 or motorcycle.

    My initial plan is: -
    - entering Vientiane via Nong Khairol
    - out from Huay Xai to Chiang Khong

    Questions: -
    - I do not have green or purple book like Thai registered vehicle, we only have Car/ Bike Registration Certificate, can I cross into Laos with this + my passport and embarkation form?
    - Whne I enter Thailand with either my car or bike, I usually just show them my Registration Certificate at Thai side, I just need to do a temporary import, that simple. And when I leave the Thailand, I just need to surrender the temporary import form.

    Would hope that I could get some information from kind soul.

    Thank you so much in advance.
  2. A few years ago a group of us rode from KL into Laos on Malaysian registered bikes. From what I remember, I went to the Laos Embassy in Kl applied for a visa ( which shouldnt apply to you if your Malaysian ) and also for a temporary import (carnet) for the bike. The whole process was easy and took only a few days. I cant remember the cost. Take copies of your passport and bike grant with you. We entered via the friendship bridge and on the Laos side the formalities took about 30 minutes . We did have to take Laos insurance from a small office next to the immigration. It helped having my Thai speaking wife with us.
  3. Great info Schackster, I had the same info from one of the travel agent at Nongkhai as well.

    As long as I bring along my car/bike registration and as well as passport + embarkation form, I should be ok to go in.

    Once again, thanks for the information.
  4. So far there is no issues for Malaysian Vehicle to enter Laos either from Nong Khai or from Chaing Kong ... We have been there end of last year entering from Chiang Khong and exit to Nong Khai... Just bring along your vehicle registration but for smoother process do get an approval for your vehicle from Laos embassy in KL (optional) ...
  5. Thanks for the information bro!

    I would assume your last trip was riding and wasn't driving, am I right?

    When I went over to China some years ago (driving), I remembered a "tour-guide" has to be on the Convoy's leader car, though we know our way well.

    Thank you once again.

Share This Page