Ego-Less Riding

Feb 11, 2007
So often the FNU and I run into folks on big bikes that are in such a hurry to prove how loud or how fast their bikes are. So it was a great pleasure today as the wife and I were headed back into CM from a 1095 run on the Canal Road being passed by a nice sounding Honda VFR. At the next light, we chatted a bit finding out he was on his way back from Mae Salong (one of our favorite places), and I fully expected the usual "take off like a bandit attitude." But none of that, but a nice sounding buzz from the Honda mill as he aggressively pulled away from the light. We caught up again at the next light and chatted some more and found out he had recently rebuilt the nice looking machine. Again, we both pulled away aggressively but reasonably, neither of us having anything to prove. With all the testosterone-fulled morons we seem to run into (and this includes the Suzuki 850 guy we helped out of the bush), it sure is a pleasure to run into someone that loves motorcycling and doesn't have a big ego to feed. And to that BMW 1200 rider on 1095 just North of Mae Taeng, thanks for the friendly wave!

Sep 1, 2011
Hi there, I have to agree. Generally those who ride because they love the machine not the uniform, are nice to meet on the road. I always appreciate a nod or a quick salutaton of any form. Even as a new-to-Thailand-rider, I realise the futility of trying to acknowledge every bike coming from the opposite direction....But we are all riders no matter what the machine and if we can put a little light into someone's day with a good word or a friendly wave and have it reciprocated, then I'm all for it. As for the guys with the phantom rings and permanent scowls.....they probably won't be riding for long before they find a more effective way in which to annoy people.
Dave.