Enfield brake mod

Feb 5, 2007
Mounted new Boranni aluminium rims with stainless spokes as part of the RE brake project. Went with 19" as I already bought the spokes so no improvement on the tire choices.

Brake rotor is from a Triumph Thunderbird and as I was not sure that it would fit, I cheaped out and did not buy a full floater. The rotor was only 90.00 USD so now that I know it works I will get a EBC floater. Note the rotor diameter compared to the stock rotor

I wanted to have an opposed piston caliper but other than cheap Chinese, dinky, Brembo copies, I could not find one that would clear the spokes. I used a Tokio sliding caliper left over from my Kawi Versys radial brake conversion with EBC-HH compound pads.

The caliper is not a bolt on, and I had to TIG weld an extension to the sliding mount. Now that I know it all works, I will Tig up the stock holes and powdercoat the bracket to match the caliper. I did not like the look of the weenie stock bolts and drilled the fork leg to take a M10 x 1.25 mounting bolt.

14mm master cylinder is left over from the Versys brake mod. I already had SS brake lines and it bolted right up.

My Bullet already had a stock Enfield disc brake upgrade but it was sadly lacking, hence this mod. It is far better now and while it could be better with a radial MC and opposed piston calipers it is adequate for now. This is all part of the plan to build a vintage cafe racer and I am off for a wave tuned megaphone pipe next.

DSC_0063-21.jpg

DSC_0063-22.jpg

DSC_0063-24.jpg

DSC_0063-26.jpg

DSC_0063-27.jpg

DSC_0063-28.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Nicely done! :thumbup: While it's a bit odd to see modern Tokiko and Nissin parts on a Royal Enfield, I can totally understand the desire to improve the brakes. Is this bike an antique or one of the more recent Indian-made models?

Feb 5, 2007
Mine is a 2000, Indian domestic, 535 Lightning, classic engined model. This engine was discontinued in 2008. Basically the same as the 1954 model and faithfully copied for 54 years.

Nothing of the ugly Lightning remains and it is a custom built 5 speed bike with several engine mods. It originally had a drum brake, but I had it built with a RE disc brake when Tim took us on our Rajistan tour several years ago. The RE brake was OK but could have been better, hence this mod.
It still could be better and I will leave that for another day.

Feb 5, 2007
Indian chrome plating seems a lot like Chiangmai single step chrome plating.

Yes both are 535cc but my 535 is a lot different:
Classic engine design as opposed to a unit construction
Muniki 32 flatslide on a match ported manifold VS FI
9:1 compression
Highly modified cylinder head by the legendary Joe Mondello's shop and ACE Engineering in the USA
Cammed
Boyer electronic ignition

The new pipe should wake it up a bit, and I should have more RWHP than the Continental's alleged 29.1 at the crank (about 26 RWHP).
Not bad for a 54 year old design VS a modern FI engine

Even though I have a new aluminium rod, it remains to be seen how long the stock bottom end will hold up under the increased stress and I plan to take the engine bottom half to ACE for a new bottom end, Carillio steel rod, and oiling system mods.
ACE is also bringing out some ratio rocker arms that I plan or install as soon as they are available.

I new want a cafe style fuel tank and aluminium mudguards
The expense continues