Nov 6, 2014
Last time I went was 2 years ago
and 200cc dual-sport worked great.
Still Allowed?

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
I am going to be following along with this post.
Alamo, i have had some reports that 150cc is ok..but now a guy in a Facebook group i am part of is saying he entered 4 weeks ago on a 120cc (not sure what bike with that CC).
Yet, same as David's comments, some have said anything under 250cc would be a problem.
Conflicting reports..and would be good to get a definitive answer on what the minimum CC is currently allowed.
Good luck.
If i find anything out, I will update.
Please could you post an update if you find out also.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The bike festival on in Laos at the moment may have complicated things a little, with authorities closely monitoring what bikes are going to / fro & whether all the rules are being enforced properly.

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Are the rules available online?
At some government website maybe.
I know a
Thai business-man
[seems to know everything 5 5]
maybe will ask him.

Laos officials are the potential block ?,
or Thai?

Last edited:

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
There were a dutch couple who was denied entry at Huay Xay a few months ago - on 125 cc scooter types of bikes.

As usual laws, the interpreting of them and the enforcing of them are very little consistent in this part of the world. I think you just have to rock up at the border and in case they dont allow you in - have a plan B too.

The new laws in Thailand that make permits and guides mandatory for foreign vehicles in Thailand (except from a few neighboroing countries) are for example not enforced at every border crossing into Thailand. Some overland travellers have to apply for the permits with very very comprahensive paperwork and pay a huge amount of money for this permits and for mandatory guides - other overland travellers slip through borders that dont enforce this new laws and are free to roam around in Thailand on their own.

Shows that consistency doesnt exist in this part of the world.

Reactions: Alamo

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
I'd probably try NongKhai.
A long way from here.
Plan B.
No hab.
Not really interested in touring Laos,
except by my bike.
Portraits of royality?

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I don't think the CC is the problem. If it looks like a everyday local scooter, they will deny you.
I have not heard about anyone being stopped on a Honda Phantom. ;)

muanbor

Mar 26, 2018
I have a Yamaha spark 115cc. Would I get any luck at Chongmek. I think if not there, nowhere. Customs at Chiang Khong advised there is a MOU MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING with Laos government not to allow any bikes under 248cc. In past years at Chongmek never had a problem bringing in my CBR150R and always given 1 month with insurance. However they did berate me for never visiting Vietnam.