ER6n RR Track Bike Project

Dec 27, 2007
brian66 wrote: Tony

The problem with using slicks is that all slicks have a heat cycle.
Slicks are not designed to last. They are designed to heat up to grip once.
They will go more than once cycle but they deteriorate quickly.
Thats not to say i do not think you should use them. I am sure you will be impressed with them. I will always use slicks.

If you use them on a liter bike and get them up to the right heat, they will stick like, we know what to a blanket. However once you park the bike as the heat goes out of them the oil from the tyre compound will migrate to the outside. You will notice this as there will be faint rainbow colours that will appear on the rubber usually around the full lean area. The Tyre will also have a hard feeling to the rubber. A plastic feeling.
The next time out the tyre will be slippery until it removes the oil sheen.
Dear Brian,

Had to do some research as the Pirelli rep had told be I should be able to get ~5-6 track days out of the Diablo Superbike tires. I think tire technology has evolved quite a bit in recent years.

Here's what I found:

A good read about the Diablo Superbike tire and durability and heat cycles

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/544/5618/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-Diablo-Superbike-PRO-Slick-Tire-Peek.aspx

Summary:

“The Diablo Superbike PRO provides more grip at lower operating temperatures than other professional slick tires, a benefit all riders can appreciate when they reach the tires’ performance peak without tire warmers and feel their super-sticky grip just after a few laps”

“Specific chemicals and reinforcing elements contribute to attaining the ideal material stiffness, an element aiding in the resistance of heat cycles; its chemical composition remains unchanged throughout multiple track sessions and can endure numerous entrances / exits from the pit.”

“Diablo Superbike PRO is the ideal solution for club racers preparing for competition and racing for fun users looking for long lasting trackday enjoyment”

Advertising hype or reality? I'll find out and let you know!

Ride On!

Tony

May 6, 2009
Tony
I would say that the new technology in slicks construction would have evolved to a point where they have that durability. My last experience with slicks was in the 2003 Australian super bike champions ships on an R1 so it 7 years on now.
So the rep would be right and you may not heat cycle those tyres in one session.
My TZ250 and NS 400 days were in 1986 and I used Michelins. So I really can’t compare those.
The grip you will get from those slicks you have is going to pass the stress to the frame and the suspension.
You will have more lean angle because of the grip so things are going to touch down
If I were you before I forked out 1000 + dollars for a rear shock. Try a few adjustments with what you have now and take it one step at a time.
Have you set the sag? I would do that first. If you have a ride height adjuster, try raising the rear end 5 to 10 mm. This will give you more ground clearance at the middle to rear of the bike.
I wonder if the rear spring rating is the correct for your weight. It is very important also.
That exhaust can in the photos looks too low and fat. You need something thinner and tucked in more.
You must measure the rear sag first. If you don’t know the procedure I can email it all to you.
Larger changes in ride height adjustments will cause the bike to steer considerably quicker, and if you're not ready for it, you may find yourself in trouble!
Raising the rear ride height will put more load on the front and may make it necessary to tighten up the front to compensate. But then you need adjustable forks which I do not think that bile has.
Anyway try setting the sag first. If there is too much now, once you set it correctly you will have more ground clearance. The take it step by step from there.
I am setting up a 1000cc blade for a track bike. I am concentrating on losing weight. No power increase needed. I will install a Bazzaz and full Akropovic racing exhaust and look for mid-range torque, not top end power.
I guess I shouldn’t be talking up Hondas in a Kawasaki column.
Just ask if you feel I can give you advice on the set up.

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Brian,

Well, if you've ever seen an ER6n / Ninja 650R you'll notice immediately that the suspension is very basic. Rear shock is adjustable for preload only and old school forks aren't adjustable at all.

I've got my preload dialed up as far as it will go but the spring is just too light so I'm going to try the YSS shock which should arrive next week and is adjustable for preload and rebound and springs are available in different weights.

I adjusted the sag on my Gixxer K6 using the Keith Code guide and I think I got it pretty close to where it should be. If/when we meet I'm sure you can teach me a lot more about suspension set-up and I'm quite a novice. I had a CBR600F2 (fireblade) for years and the suspension was adjustable for pre-load, rebound and damping but to be honest I never fiddled with it as the bike handled great from day 1 with the factory settings.

The Arrow exhaust on the ER6 is temporary until my new TWO BROS arrives. The TWO BROS is smaller in diameter so I should be able to get more clearance. Here's the TWO BROS vs stock can:
ER6nStockVs2BrosSSR.jpg

Here's the Two Bros on my old ER6n:
050109ER6n.jpg

The rearsets I've put on the new bike give me a lot more clearance, so combined with the race slicks it will be interesting to see what touches down first- pegs or can or.... me? :mrgreen:

Happy Trails!

Tony

May 6, 2009
Hey Tony, where have you got to?
I thought you were going to run the bike at the Thailand circuit last weekend.
I have been checking this post every day hoping to hear what those slicks were like on the bike.

Dec 27, 2007
brian66 wrote: Hey Tony, where have you got to?
I thought you were going to run the bike at the Thailand circuit last weekend.
I have been checking this post every day hoping to hear what those slicks were like on the bike.

Hiya Brian!

No- I didn't race at Thailand Circuit- I'm a total novice and I understand that series is mostly liter bikes and is very competitive. Don't feel ready for that just yet! Hit BIRA with the GSXR instead. Good fun but I need to get the suspension dialed in for track as it's way too soft and the front end felt like it was "floating" around the corners. I didn't like it at all...

Here are some pics of the ER6n "RR" at Thailand Circuit from a couple of weeks ago-
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010SSR.jpg

Friend of a friend of a friend took these pics at Thailand Circuit a couple of weeks ago and I just got them.
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010dSSR.jpg

Dueling with BananaBoy on his ZX10R :mrgreen:
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010bSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010cSSR.jpg

May 6, 2009
Tony

Well at least you are getting track time quite regularly so you will not be a novice for long.
That is a very vague description when you say ”Floating” in the corners. You will have to sort that out as confidence is the key and the front end needs to be planted and giving lots of feel back to get good lap times. Especially into the corners.
I would guess you are talking of “Floating” when you exit the corner apex and the front is not gripping.
Probably because there is not enough weight over the front wheel and it is lifting when you power out of the corner.
Usually this will cause under steer and you will run wide.
I assume you have set the sag already so the preload would be correct.
For a starting point, I would suggest that you stiffen the compression a couple of clicks so that the back end doesn’t squat as quickly when you get on the throttle. Try it no more than two clicks at a time.
Have you moved the back wheel to the front by fitting a smaller front sprocket?
First try to move your body as far forward as you can when setting up to enter the corner and stay in that position when you get on the throttle.
If that doesn’t fix it, maybe try moving the back wheel back by using an extra link in the chain. This will transfer a lot more weigh onto the front wheel.
Keep at it as i am sure you will find the right settings.
I am jealous and wish i coudl be there also !!!

Nov 7, 2007
Davidfl wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK]
Dueling with BananaBoy on his ZX10R :mrgreen:
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010bSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!
Tony
Great photos Tony, I bet you had a smile a mile wide behind the black visor tailing BananaBoy here!
That is a fantastic picture indeed. It looks like babanaboy is riding with his eyes closed - a true Ninja ;)

Dec 27, 2007
Finally had a chance to install the new YSS rear shock but with all this damn rain I've not yet had a chance to try it out... :oops:

YSSEX650SSR.jpg

Installation is incredibly easy. Took about 5 minutes.

YSSEX650aSSR.jpg

So now I've got a progressive spring and rebound adjustment :thumbup:

Looking forward to trying it out when the rain stops!

YSSEX650bSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
TonyBKK wrote: Finally had a chance to install the new YSS rear shock but with all this damn rain I've not yet had a chance to try it out... :oops:
How much was the new shock worth Tony??? I have emailed them a couple of times to find out shock prices, figuring I could pick it up next time in LoS and bring it home...

Daewoo

Dec 27, 2007
daewoo wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK]Finally had a chance to install the new YSS rear shock but with all this damn rain I've not yet had a chance to try it out... :oops:
How much was the new shock worth Tony??? I have emailed them a couple of times to find out shock prices, figuring I could pick it up next time in LoS and bring it home...

Daewoo
Cheers Daewoo,

I don't think this shock is available for sale yet. The one I got is a "demo". I believe when it does go on sale that the price will be somewhere around ~12000 Baht, but please don't hold me to that :thumbup:
Ride On!
Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Next mod- Versys swingarm on ER6n!
VersysSwngarmSSR.jpg

Hope to have it ready to roll for the Kawasaki Track Day at BIRA Circuit on December 18th.
VersysSwngarmER6nSSR.jpg

See you there!

Tony
ThailandCircuitER6nRRSept2010ZmSSR.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
joe_jawa;280526 wrote: tony....

what kind of clip on that you used for this bike???
Some second hand clip ons that I found in the used parts warehouse at Red Baron in Bangkok- I couldn't tell you what brand they are. :happy5:

Dec 2, 2014
Great job on the conversion Tony. That's a nice setup.
Yeah this thread is OLD, but USEFUL for those planning a ER6n conversion of their own.

Your Track Bike build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
directory here: Tony BKK's ER6n RR Track Bike build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al