Extending Temporary Import

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by jamiep73, Dec 8, 2009.

1. jamiep73

jamiep73 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys, I'm currently in Ko Samui and my temporary import permit is about to run out. I was (reluctantly) going to ride back to Malaysia so i can get another one but I read in another post on GTR that it's possible to extend them up to 6 months. Can anyone confirm for me if this is still possible and if so how i'd go about doing it. I gathered from the post i read that i need to go to Thai customs but wondering if anyone knows where i might find a Thai customs office without going back to the border. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

2. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +727 / 0 / -0
    Jamie
    Yeah the fine is a maximum of 2,000 baht for up to 6 months overstay. Many guys overstay & then go out after 5 months, pay the 2,000 baht fine & come back in again.

BTW how's your trip been so far:
    1. Need help finding bike Insurance in Malaysia
    2. Heading to SE Asia in November
    3. My trip to Laos and Cambodia begins shortly need advice.
    4. Current situation on renewing a temporary import in Thailand
    5. Extending Temporary Import

Can you please share some info & tips?

Cheers
    DavidFL

3. jamiep73

jamiep73 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks David, will write a report on my importing experience soon just using my iPhone for Internet at the moment so bit hard to write much.
    Apart from that I haven't really done any real riding yet just visiting friends on koh samui.

I plan on going to Penang to get my tourist visa in a few days by bus just wondering if I can leave the country to do that without my bike ?

4. LivinLOS

LivinLOS Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does other local customs offices not provide an extension service ??

Here on phuket you can legally extend your temp import, in 2 month chunks at a time, for up to 6 months.

5. jamiep73

jamiep73 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went to the customs house here on koh samui today and they gave me a one month extension. They wouldn't give me 2 months but said just come back in a month if you need to extend it again :)

Off to Penang in the morning to get my tourist visa I rode past there on my way to Thailand but unfortunately didn't know about the new 15 day visas at border crossings!!!

6. LivinLOS

LivinLOS Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What visa class and expiry did you have and was that part of the reason they only gave the month ??

I hadnt considered it before but all the guys I know who do this long term are all on non imm visa classes and I seem to recall something about shorter periods being given to someone on short term stamps.