F 650 GS Dakar

Berty

Oct 18, 2005
Hi all , am new to this forum. I want to tour around asia for 4 to 6 months. Will want to ride a Near new BMW F 650 DAKAR. Can anyone tell me if it is worth bringing in my own from Australia or should I buy one there. Do they become available in Thailand second hand from time to time. What cost for a new one ???? thanks

Berty

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
BMW stopped importing the 650 Dakar to Thailand. A new 650 GS is 560,000 baht.

Used Dakar with registration is almost impossible to find.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jan 22, 2005
Hi Berty,

The BMW dealer (actually the mechanic) in Chiang Mai is an excellent source. Last month he showed us an excellent one year old Dakar and the price was reasonable. We passed on it since we just finished converting a Near New 650GS to the Dakar forks, 21 inch wheel, better shock, off road tiers, etc.

If you are seriously interested, let us know and we will call the mechanic and let him know and he will put the word out for you.

Having said the above - the cost of a Near New 650 is 400,000 to 450,000 Baht, plus there are always extras to add or to fix up. So if you already have one, the airfair is super cheap all things considered - and you already know the bike. Fly your bike right into Bangkok. Paper work on the Thai side is not all that bad and then you are only a day ride away from where all the Fun begins.

Cheers,
David and Mai

Colin

Feb 14, 2005
A new F650GS is 530,000 Baht according to VVP, At least that is what they are charging me for my one

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Berty,
I spent 11 months last year and early this year touring SE Asia, I rode my Dakar up from Aussy and done 38,000k,s round trip.
You can get all the info on www.horizonsunlimited.com have a look at the travellers stories and look up my name Tom Forde.
also I have started a web site with my photos, Link removed
My advice to you would be ride your own bike up especially for a period of 6 months.

It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you get there.

exflpd

Dec 12, 2005
Would you recommend the purchase of a Dakar? I am looking at a 2003 in Chiang Mai -$10,500 US - very little use. The problem is that I am just under 5'9" tall. The Dakar seems a bit high off the road.

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Forde

Hi Berty,
I spent 11 months last year and early this year touring SE Asia, I rode my Dakar up from Aussy and done 38,000k,s round trip.
You can get all the info on www.horizonsunlimited.com have a look at the travellers stories and look up my name Tom Forde.
also I have started a web site with my photos, Link removed
My advice to you would be ride your own bike up especially for a period of 6 months.

It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you get there.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Exflpd

That is a reasonable price for the bike - if it has a license plate and registration book.

As far as height, it depends on your leg length. Do your feet touch the ground?

I am 5'7", but short legged - 29" inseam. I ride a 2002 650GS, but the Dakar is a bit too high for me.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Berty,
I am 5'11" with "short legs",and an old bugger in his 50's. I found the Dakar ok around town, once I loaded her up, she is a bit of a handful to get her off the side stand, a litle bit of muscle so to speak, on the road no problems.
You can always get the seat modified in Thailand very cheaply.
If I had a choice I would go the Dakar over the standard.
However if you are just going to hoon around the MHS loop etc. go the GS., it's suspension is much tighter in the curves with little suspension dipping as with the Dakar.
The price depends on the K'S travelled, my Dakar has done 50,000k, a 2002 model. I can only get $5000Aust as a trade.
They are a good all round bike,reliable and cheap to maintain. I will use mine for another big trip tomorrow, if I had the money.

"I used to spend all of my money on fast cars, women and booze, now I just squander it." George Best 1946-2005 RIP