Farang? rider killed in or near Chiang Khong?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just seen some unpleasant photos but looks like a farang killed riding a new BMW up North.

296424=18381-1545157_235567646628903_1397390452_n.jpg

If anyone recognizes the bike & may know the rider, some people would like to know.
May the rider RIP .
My condolences & deepest sympathy to the rider's family & friends.

Dec 27, 2007
Damn, I wish I had not clicked on that link :(

RIP to the rider and condolences to his family and friends. At least it seems death was instant...

Ride safe everyone!!

Nov 7, 2007
R.I.P. to this rider.

Images are gruesome. Not sure it's really necessary to post them - this is somebody's friend / son / perhaps father, you don't want anyone who knew him find these pictures.

License plate is clearly visible so the rider will surely be found; Police just needs to look it up. Either it's his bike, or the owner knows who rode it that day.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I haven't clicked the link. don't want to. for the ones who did , was he wearing a Helmet ?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I have to Agree with Nikster. No one wants Pictures of Loved Ones Posted all over the Net? The Same was done with Our Mate Crazy John who was in the Thai News Paper? A Bit Crude I think and Poor Taste? Just Think it maybe One of Us some Day? How Would Your Family or Friends Feel? Condolences to everyone involved. RIP.

Dec 27, 2007
The rider has been identified and his next of kin notified.

Apparently he had no id on him (how is that possible?!) which is why the pictures were posted on social media in an attempt to identify him...

Condolences again to his family and friends.

Apr 20, 2009
TonyBKK;296457 wrote:
Apparently he had no id on him (how is that possible?!)
Might be his wallet was lifted. :thumbdown: Unfortunate how often that kind of thing happens.

Oct 17, 2006
RIP , so sad , Horrific photo ,,,, So thai ,, Pattaya land transport office has a wall of sick accident photos to try and scare some sense into visitors , does not seem to work though .

Mar 30, 2010
HTWoodson;296463 wrote: Might be his wallet was lifted. :thumbdown: Unfortunate how often that kind of thing happens.
Sadly I have to say.. You could be right.
May be a good idea to keep a laminated copy of our passport page in another pocket of our riding gear… along with insurance details in case you are still alive.

It is the way it is.. and the culture accepts it.. But can't get my head around the publishing of those terrible pictures.
You see it all the time..

RIP to the rider and condolences to family..

Jul 20, 2013
This is a terrible terrible thing to happen to anyone - his family and friends must be devastated.

30 odd years ago a very good mate who was run over by a pickup while cycling (and subsequently died) in Singapore did not have his watch by time he arrive at the hospital.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some GENUINE ACCURATE info in from the Swiss government rep handling the case.

The rider killed was a Swiss National: Hans Knecht, who lived in Doi Saket.

Contrary to the wild rumours & speculation...

The wife of Hans knew shortly after the accident what happened. He has been identified by police immediately. Hans was carrying a license, credit cards and hand phone on him.

The driver of the vehicle was waiting for us on Monday the whole day to meet the wife of Hans and me.
So there was NO hit & run. No personal valuables were stolen.

The Swiss government rep handling the case is satisfied with the procedure so far.

Hopefully funeral details will be coming soon.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A brief update

Hans' funeral was in Doi Saket on Sunday..

Knecht was riding and hit a Pick –up car and was immediately dead. He had called his wife shortly before and some hours later when she called again she was told by the police that he had this accident. The police knew up on arrival on the scene of the accident who he was as he had ID + driver’s license as well Credit cards etc. on him. The Swiss Embassy rep knew of the accident within 30 Min after it happened.
Links to the offending images posted on facebook by other people have been deleted.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Just back from Laos, some days ago I got the sad news of this accident from a Malaysian friend. This Farang, a Swiss national from Chiangmai, was an acquaintance and I had a couple of dinners with him and a group of golfers. Actually, I was supposed to join them again for dinner, three days before the accident, but as I was traveling I did not meet them.

I do not have more details about the accident, only that it happened.

Of course, this is very sad and sent a shiver down my spine. R.I.P dear friend.