First time bringing bike to Laos, some questions

Michael R

Aug 3, 2022
Greetings,

OK, so I have searched the forum and find a lot of useful information. It's the first time I bring my own bike to Laos so I still have some questions though. Can someone please confirm my questions below. I'll use FB1. The trip is UD, Vientianne, Vang Vieng, Luang prabang via the short cut up, drive around north? of Luang Prabang, probably drive home via Phou Khoun. I expect roads to be much worse than they were in Thailand 30 years ago, I'm used to bad roads. Bike is a RE 650 Interceptor 2020 registered in my name.

Paper work:
1) Pink vehicle registration book? (English version of the Thai green vehicle registration book). I've read both that it is required and not required. Do I need it? If I need it, can I get it while waiting at khon song (vehicle dept.) in Nong Khai or will I have to come back for it?
2) I can't find the receipt from when I bought the bike, stupid I know. Do I need it? Bike is registered in my name, I'll bring the green vehicle registration book
3) I tried to renew my Thai driving license in UD but I am a permanent resident so I had used my blue tabien baan (house register book) and they couldn't renew then. 2 options, go to BKK to renew or get a new driving license (which I could do while the old one still was valid...). And then I couldn't use my blue tabien baan to get a new driving license like in BKK, I had to go to immigration to get address certfied too. Immigration certifying from a blue tablen baan... I smiled and said thank you for all the help and quietly decided oh, sod it :) I've got a valid Swedish driving licence that I used driving in Thailand for 29 years before I got a Thai license. It'll do. But will it when going to Laos?
4) Insurance: I only have PRB on the bike. WillI be allowed in?
5) Insurance: I have no evidence of insurance for myself (except the PRB 30,000, only valid in Thailand). WillI be allowed in? (have money and visa card backup)
6) I was planning to get a visa online, is this recommended?
Any other papers except the vaccine certificate I need?

Other stuff:
I know it'll cost me 2,000 baht "extra" to pass at FB1, that's OK
7) I have changed to a 60 watt LED lamp (brilliant for night driving), added windshield, side bags, box, forward foot pegs and some other stuff, standard exhaust of course so the bike is not loud. Any problems?
8) There should be currency exchange boots on the Laos side I would think. Let me know if I need to plan ahead on this? Experienced Laos riders: What do you prefer? Pay with Kip or Baht in Laos?
9) Where to buy a sim card so I can use Google Maps in Laos? (I have printed A4 maps as backup too)
10) Price of insurance?
Anyone knows how the petrol situation is now?

Have I missed anything crucial? I would feel really stupid if I took a week off from work and only got 100 km before I had to turn around

Wow, sorry for the long post

Michael

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Greetings,

OK, so I have searched the forum and find a lot of useful information. It's the first time I bring my own bike to Laos so I still have some questions though. Can someone please confirm my questions below. I'll use FB1. The trip is UD, Vientianne, Vang Vieng, Luang prabang via the short cut up, drive around north? of Luang Prabang, probably drive home via Phou Khoun. I expect roads to be much worse than they were in Thailand 30 years ago, I'm used to bad roads. Bike is a RE 650 Interceptor 2020 registered in my name.

Paper work:
1) Pink vehicle registration book? (English version of the Thai green vehicle registration book). I've read both that it is required and not required. Do I need it? If I need it, can I get it while waiting at khon song (vehicle dept.) in Nong Khai or will I have to come back for it?

The green rego book in your name is what you need.
If the bike is not in your name you need permission from the owner to take the bike out of the county.

2) I can't find the receipt from when I bought the bike, stupid I know. Do I need it? Bike is registered in my name, I'll bring the green vehicle registration book
You dont need a receipt. Just the green rego book = evidence of ownership.

3) I tried to renew my Thai driving license in UD but I am a permanent resident so I had used my blue tabien baan (house register book) and they couldn't renew then. 2 options, go to BKK to renew or get a new driving license (which I could do while the old one still was valid...). And then I couldn't use my blue tabien baan to get a new driving license like in BKK, I had to go to immigration to get address certfied too. Immigration certifying from a blue tablen baan... I smiled and said thank you for all the help and quietly decided oh, sod it :) I've got a valid Swedish driving licence that I used driving in Thailand for 29 years before I got a Thai license. It'll do. But will it when going to Laos?
I've never been asked for a drivers licence entering or leaving Laos.
Take whatever you have, that's valid & not expired.
4) Insurance: I only have PRB on the bike. WillI be allowed in?
5) Insurance: I have no evidence of insurance for myself (except the PRB 30,000, only valid in Thailand). WillI be allowed in? (have money and visa card backup)
Insurance is essential on the Laos side.
There is an insurance booth / office on the right after you enter. DON'T ride without it. Get the maximum 3rd party you can get. 500? baht for a month / 1500? baht for a year. Thai insurance doesn't work in Laos, it is another country. AGL is the best insurance company in Laos. Offices & agents everywhere.

6) I was planning to get a visa online, is this recommended?
This may make your entry slightly easier.

Any other papers except the vaccine certificate I need?

Other stuff:
I know it'll cost me 2,000 baht "extra" to pass at FB1, that's OK
7) I have changed to a 60 watt LED lamp (brilliant for night driving), added windshield, side bags, box, forward foot pegs and some other stuff, standard exhaust of course so the bike is not loud. Any problems?
Should be no problem, but if a Lao policeman wants to stop you and make 500 baht, he will find something wrong, just like a Thai cop.

8) There should be currency exchange boots on the Laos side I would think. Let me know if I need to plan ahead on this? Experienced Laos riders: What do you prefer? Pay with Kip or Baht in Laos?

No real need to change money. Take baht & US$ & it is accepted everywhere. You will get change in Lao kip.

9) Where to buy a sim card so I can use Google Maps in Laos? (I have printed A4 maps as backup too)

Get a SIM card in Vte easy enough.

10) Price of insurance?

Mentioned above.

Anyone knows how the petrol situation is now?

Should not be a big problem now.
Fuel up in the morning & at lunch somewhere & you should be ok.

Have I missed anything crucial? I would feel really stupid if I took a week off from work and only got 100 km before I had to turn around

Wow, sorry for the long post

Michael

Take the care. Its rainy season & most of the roads are stuffeed from the trucks & torrential rain.
DONT forget Lao insurance. AGL is the best company.