Flat tyre in Khon Kaen

Nov 21, 2010
Riding last night home I did feel some weird movements on the rear wheel but well it was only 500m to my home so I did not pay much attention to it. This morning I wanted to wash the bike and noticed that I had a flat rear tyre. Well as I had the intention of getting new tyres soon anyway this is the right moment.

And although there are quite a few big (expensive) motorbikes riding in KK and you can even buy tyres right from stock or 1 day delivery there is as far as I found out really no motorbike shop that even has the proper tools to remove an tyre so just forget the balancing of your wheels. Kawasaki dealer has Bridgestone tyres in stock but will bring the wheels to an car-shop to have the tyres replaced and no balancing. The one and only shop selling tyres (stock of about 100 tyres) has not even an workplace to remove the wheels.

So it seems the only option left is do an emergency repair and ride to Udon or Khorat.

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;280025 wrote: Riding last night home I did feel some weird movements on the rear wheel but well it was only 500m to my home so I did not pay much attention to it. This morning I wanted to wash the bike and noticed that I had a flat rear tyre. Well as I had the intention of getting new tyres soon anyway this is the right moment.

And although there are quite a few big (expensive) motorbikes riding in KK and you can even buy tyres right from stock or 1 day delivery there is as far as I found out really no motorbike shop that even has the proper tools to remove an tyre so just forget the balancing of your wheels. Kawasaki dealer has Bridgestone tyres in stock but will bring the wheels to an car-shop to have the tyres replaced and no balancing. The one and only shop selling tyres (stock of about 100 tyres) has not even an workplace to remove the wheels.

So it seems the only option left is do an emergency repair and ride to Udon or Khorat.

Chang Noi
Removing wheels easy. Any shade tree mechanic with a couple spanners can do it. Sure, you're supposed to torque the axle to something like 80ft/lbs, but in reality not many folks bother with a torque wrench on the axle- just torque the hell out of it and make sure you re-install the cotter pin and you'll be good to go.

Pretty much any automotive car tire shop can remove and install motorcycle tires on motorcycle wheels with the same machine they use to change car tires.

I've had mc tires removed and patched in some very out-of-the-way places, so certainly there are plenty of shops in Khon Kaen who can do this for you.

If the car shop has a wheel balancing machine they can balance a motorcycle wheel the same as they can balance a car wheel- they just might have to add some spacers to make the motorcycle wheel fit properly on the machine.

Finally, if you feel so inclined, you can go buy some tire irons and change the tire yourself. Plenty of vids on YouTube to show you how it's done.

Ride on!

Tony :happy1:

Nov 21, 2010
Doing it myself would be fine .... if I had the tools to do it. Maybe should get that for future problems?
On the other hand there is indeed an good car-shop around the corner so as I will be in Khorat today anyway (by car) I will just buy the new Pirelli tyres over there and do it more or less myself.

Last night I pumped the tyre to 50% pressure and after 12hrs it is a bit soft but not flat yet. So a bit of riding should be no problem.

Chang Noi

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Pump up Your Tyre and put water over it till You find where the Leak is then go down to Your Local Cockpit Shop and put a Plug in the Hole? It must only be a small one so No Drama's? No need to even remove Your Tyre! Good Luck.

Dec 27, 2007
Yes, as Ian said, find the puncture and plug it.

I've ridden many thousands of kilometers on tires with plugs and never had any problems. (Some will advise replacing a plugged tire for safety, others just keep riding them as normal.)

Personally I'd not be very comfortable with a plug in the front tire, but in the rear I don't worry much.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
If yOu want a long term fix, you want the plug that is shaped like a golf tee and goes on the inside. Last for the life of the tyre no problem.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Chang Noi, happens all the time at any place and most probably at a time when you really don't need any troubles.
I've learnt also some lessons, in my FJR I carry a complete tubeless repair kit plus a small electric pump that is plugged into the bike's 12V outlet, I can repair now tyres everywhere. Even in my Nouvo I carry the same repair tools except the pump, for this one I use CO2 cartridges to get the bike running again. For the DR650 which has inner tubes I carry some patches, tools & glue plus CO2 cartridges. Especially when you are riding up North where sometimes you don't see a living thing for an hour it's better to have that stuff with you so not to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
As for plugged tyres, I second Tony, would replace a plugged front one but used several plugged rears without any troubles. Cheers, Franz

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks guys for all the advice.
Although my flat tyre was now at a very conveniently location I will get me asap an emergency-kit. Bloody hell why motorbike do not have a trunk so you can take some more things with you?

In this situation I did/do not want to plug the tyre as it is actually far over due at 13.643km with an Pirelli MT60 RS Corsa!
Bloody hell that is only 10months ago!

So as I passed Khorat yesterday (by car) and I bought a new MT60 RS Corsa at "Khorat 80up". Great shop of Khun Tek, they also do balancing (not that made any difference for this time) and have riding gear. Tomorrow I will go to a "Cockpit" shop nearby and they might even be able to balance the wheel.

Chang Noi

Nov 21, 2010
End of the saga ....

Cockpit does not want to know of anything that has less as 4 wheels.

So I went to the Kawasaki dealer (level-B) and they took the wheel off and brought it to an car-shop to replace the tyre with the one I bought already.
Although other have other experience with this Kawasaki dealer I am always very pleased. And for an service-charge of 200thb I do not want to get dirty hands.

Now time to buy me an emergency tyre repair-kit and have it with me always.

Chang Noi

Oct 17, 2006
Do not torque the hell out of your axle nuts if you want to remain safe , anything more than 70-80ftlbs will crush the wheel bearings at the very least reducing bearing life and at the worst taking your life when the rear end or front end locks up!!!!!!!!!!

stick to manufactures torque setting or make a mark on the axle and remember how many turns it takes to put nut on and off if no torque wrench available ,