Frenchies Across Laos And Thailand - March-april 2017

EricFR

Nov 17, 2016
France
Hi there !

Our trip across Thailand and Laos if finally close to start, so let me tell you more about it.

We are for French friends, all experienced rider (at least on road, off-road for some of us) between 35 and 32 yo, and owning respectively Husqvarna 701 Enduro, Yamaha FZ6, TDR125 and WR125R.

We leave home on March 24, landing on 25 in BKK then traveling with the night train to Chiang Mai. We will use the Sunday to chill a bit, visit the town and to get the bike and sorting out all the paperworks.

Speaking of the devil, we will rent, at Pop Rider, four Honda CRF250L.

We’ll leave Chiang Mai on Monday with luck we will cross the border at Chiang Khong (if we’re to late, we’ll cross on Tuesday morning early). The Tuesday will be a journey from Houei Sai to Pakbeng, avoiding tarmac.

The next day I plan to reach Luang Prabang by boat, then spending two days in the area.

Next stept, heading for Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoy, then remote tribes villages in the north east before coming back at Houei Sai on April 5-6.

After this journey into Laos, we’ll try to reach Pai and Mae Lana to visit some caves.

Then Chiang Mai again on Sat. 8 to bring back the bike and taking a plane to Bangkok.

Indeed, we’ll spend the last week diving and chilling in Koh Tao. After the 16th in Bangkok, we will heading back to France on the 17th.

We’ve already sorted out everything but of you have any advice, I’ll heard from you with pleasure.

Of course I’ll post updates here !

If some of you are enthusiast on having a drink in CNX, let me know !

Mar 30, 2010
Why not head out to the X Centre and catch up with Ian and the crowd there in Chiang Mai..

Mar 30, 2010
Good point.. four of you may rise eyebrows and questions Suggest you stagger the crossing 1 hr or more apart two at a time.

The first group go in to town..not wait around. Like you are not together.

Reactions: EricFR

EricFR

Nov 17, 2016
France
Good point.. four of you may rise eyebrows and questions Suggest you stagger the crossing 1 hr or more apart two at a time.

The first group go in to town..not wait around. Like you are not together.

Thanks for the tip Brian !

EricFR

Nov 17, 2016
France
Hi guys,

I have a question about reaching Luang Prabang from Pak Beng by boat. Is it easy to fin a boat able to carry four bikes ?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hi guys,

I have a question about reaching Luang Prabang from Pak Beng by boat. Is it easy to fin a boat able to carry four bikes ?

IMG_3078.jpg

There will be plenty of boats in Pak Beng.

Most of them for carrying passengers to / from Luang Prabang or Houeu Xai.
You will need to talk to the boat skippers & ask them about putting your bike(s) on the boat to Luang Prabang.
Agreeing on a price will b e the issue.
There will also be boats that you could charter - if he price is affordable, but aint really cheap.

When you arrive in Pak Beng go down to the boat landing & check out the boats & owners the day before, so that you can agree on a price & set it up the day before.
IMG_3097.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Eoin Christie

EricFR

Nov 17, 2016
France
Hello David and the whole GT-Rider pack !

It's been a too long time since I posted news and apologize for this.

So every one here is ok, more than ok.

We had the time of our lives riding in Laos, this country is so amazing and the people great.

Chance that following a mechanical issue, we met Chris from Motolao and his team. Great time !

All the advise and post here where very usefull and the maps help us a lot in addition to the GPS device.

I will post a report during hollydays.

To wait, here's a short edit of this adventure :

Last edited:
Reactions: Eoin Christie