Friendship Bridge Nong Khai - VTE Entry

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by jimoi, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. jimoi

    jimoi Ol'Timer

    I'm not sure where the sticky for the Bridge Crossing went so here's a new thread and if needed to be moved, sorry for not seeing the sticky.

    I am now in a position to issue temporary import papers for riders that have documents for their bikes. There are requirements on this side I need to complete the papers but crossing into Vientiane is possible again on a case by case basis.

    The issuing ministry requires a set arrival date and exit point, sometimes will require a departure date.

    I need at least 3 weeks to obtain the permit

    I require you to email me:
    -- scanned copy of your photo page of your passport
    -- scanned copy of your bike registration complete with engine, frame, plate number.
    -- an ITB if you have it but not necessary

    Fee for this is USD $ 31.00 for a one time crossing valid for 30 days. You are responsible for purchasing the required entry fee coupons (25,000 Kip per week, 25,000 kip green paper). Included in the fee is a 30 day AGL insurance for 3rd party Liability.

    I take Paypal for this service. Applications are not 100% guaranteed. Permits are applied for after you make the payment and if approved, the original temporary import permit and Insurance will be mailed to you. There will be no scans emailed as you need the original documents to cross.

    The bike must be in the name of the applicant coming with the bike.

    This service has been approved for case by case applications and all riders using this service have to abide by the import/export rules and fees. Once this gets rolling with many riders, the possibility of the bridge opening up for travel may yet again come around.

    [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]
  2. Loading...

  3. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    Great timing I was told the other day by a rider that he hadd a preoblem crossing because his bike wwas reigistered in his wifes name, Didnlt matter if she was there no way could she ride the bike had to change the name to croos.

    Both my bikes are in my wifes name do I need to change it to mine to cross?
  4. harrythefinn

    harrythefinn Ol'Timer

    Saying that things can be "blurred" in Thailand, sometimes possible to take a bike out if the family name (surname)is the same in the documents. But not 100%.
  5. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    I will do so now that I know it's problem. However two sides to every coin. I did that way so if something happened to me, the wife could sale the bikes without any problems. Not an issue in Thailand. But apparently it can be if you want to go out of country.

    Not a big issue just trying to take care of my family, I have everything to do it including a yellow house book.
  6. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    I've had it written up on GT Rider for a long time ... -crossings

    check it out sometime.
  7. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    I believe it no big deal 30 mins to change it. I know it probably looks like but I don't read everything on the site LOL

    I appreciate the information I could have done without a lecture.
  8. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    Ok I have reread that it in no way answers my question. The bikes are registered in my wifes name, she is my ride partner and will be there. She rides with me doesn't operate the bike

    So lets go back to the original question bakies reistered in her name she will be ther to complete all doumentation I will ride the bike across with erh is that going to be a problem?

    Per that if you have written permission to take the bike our of country it is permissable. Not what the guy in the shop I ran across when hr tried o cross with his wife with him and who the bike was registetered to. It's no big deal. But, if I can make it easier on my wife when I check all the better.

    I have read the laos and Malyasai sections before and will do a heavy review a few weeks before I go and make sure I have everything correct.

    So can we go back to the original question, everything I have seen written says is it permissable. Actual experience at Frienship bridge which is 60 klm's from me proved to be different.

    So can we try agian minus the lectires not my first day here. I'm trying a pit fall the true advantage of this forum is getting information that is not readily available elsewhere.

    I try to give as much as I get in he form of ride reports so lets not go there again please. Not referring to you David.

    I see there are a couple of newbies tryiong o learn no one is even reposnding to them I will,
  9. johngooding

    johngooding Ol'Timer

    Hi Ray,
    If the bike owner is present and dealing with the paperwork, then it must be OK for the authorities, whose concern is that the bike may be leaving the country without the owners permission. You are kindly riding it across the border on her instructions, much the same for the rest our lives here I guess, just following :p
    The Nong Khai bridge of course has its own set of rules for Thai bikes crossing into Laos, which appear to be relaxing as per the original post in the thread.
  10. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    Thats how I would have interrupted it and did so, however not this guys experience. Pronblem may simply be Friendship bridge in Nong Khai, this is all new to them.
  11. hs0zfe

    hs0zfe Ol'Timer

    Great effort and fabulous offer, Jimoi! I hate the idea of running from Pontius to Pilatus. Thank you, I will pass this on to friends... Chris
  12. Auke

    Auke Ol'Timer

    Read Jimoi's post as this deals with the Friendship Bridge where bikes are not allowed to cross from the Thai to the Lao side not even when the bike is transported on a truck, etc.

    Jimoi writes: The bike must be in the name of the applicant coming with the bike

    Normally, if the owner is there and crosses at the same time with the driver on a bike/car there is no problem at all. When the owner gives permission in writing to the driver of the vehicle, then the owner does not need to be there when crossing the border.
  13. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    I went to Jimjoi registered owner there should work. Hey he is talking about doing all the leg work for $25.00 and see if we can get the bridge working I will support his efforts simple as that.

    If it falls through so be it, at least he is trying.
  14. Dougal

    Dougal Ol'Timer


    What a wonderful offer and I am definately interested.
    Will be towards the end of the year but I will PM or e-mail you to get this going.

    Many thanks for your efforts.
  15. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    Let me know as well Dougal I will try to time mine with yours.
  16. thaicbr

    thaicbr Ol'Timer

    Ray. if you do need to transfer the bike into your name. Then for your piece of mind to make it easier for the wifey. Just make sure that you sign a power of attorney and transfer form, get a photo copy of your passport (all copies signed)
    Then if something did happen to you. No problems.
  17. ray23

    ray23 Ol'Timer

    Thats a good idea Allen thanks.

Share This Page