From Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai via Nan

Nov 21, 2010
I have been around Petchabun, Lomsak and Loei (thanks Grant, Mark and Tony) and heard good stories about Nan, so while visiting a friend in CNX I am planning a trip from KK to CNX via Nan (yes a bit way around but lets take the long way home).

As I like to make some sight-seeing tours while on the way, I would like the to break the trip to Nan with a stop-over somewhere on the way.

So my idea was riding to Dan Sai, stay there and then take the short-cut to Nan (short-cuts with tarmac). Then a stop-over in Nan and then to CNX for 2 nights and then the easy way back to KK (but maybe also with a stop-over).

Any idea's for a good route? Google Maps did show me some but one never knows if there are really roads where Google Maps thinks there are.

And idea's for a nice place to sleep in Dan Sai (or other nice place to make a stop-over) and Nan?

Chang Noi

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Hi Chiang Noi,

Dan Sai has a place to stay: SB Resort 042-891918, on the left as you approach the town from the South.

From Dan Sai (on tarmac) head North on road 2113 to Na Heao then road 1268 which mostly follows the Laos border. Past Ban Khok take a right onto road 1241 then look for a right turn opposite a fuel station onto road 1083. This will bring you to a 'T' junction in Na Noi. Take a right onto road 1026 to Wiang Sa and look for a left turn to road 101 into Nan.
Alternatively: approx 75km from Na Heao on road 1268 there is a left turn to Nam Pat on road 1239. Go straight thru Nam Pat on road 1339 to Queen Sirikit reservoir. At the end of the 1339 is a small ferry crossing across the reservoir. Beautiful. Road 1026 takes from the other side to Na Noi and Wiang Sa where you turn left for road 101 to Nan.

Nan: Grand Mansion 054-750514/5
Eurngkum Hotel 054-775817 (both B350 a night)

If you pm me with your e-mail I can send you a really good city map of Nan.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE TH MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:14.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Cordia New"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} Dan Sai Accommodation
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/33036-Dan-Sai-Accommodation

Nan Accommodation
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32989-Nan-Accommodation

Apr 16, 2011
Hi Changnoi1

when are you think of taking this ride as i would be very interested in joining but i will not be back in thialand till the end of march so if you are not planning to leave in a hurry i could ride with you as i have not done that ride yet and would like to do it and i was hoping to do much the same route when i get back so let me know when you are going

Cheers
Grubman

Nov 21, 2010
Hi GRubman,

Would have liked to make the tour this month (feb) but things come up every time (like catching a ugly bad cold), so it will be March anyway I am afraid. Actually your old Ninja might be joining also.

Chang Noi

Nicke

Nov 18, 2010
Ban Phe, Rayong
Hi Chang Noi !

Please let me know when this trip is taking place, because I would also like to make a trip
to Nan before the rainy season starts again.

Leif