Getting a Thai license for Cambo bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by cdrw, May 5, 2008.

  1. cdrw

    cdrw Ol'Timer

    I've heard that it can be difficult getting a Thai reg/license for a bike from Cambodia.
    I've a friend with a fairly new Suzuki DR650 which has Cambo reg/plates. He wants to get Thai reg/plates and keep the bike in Thailand.

    Will he incur the exhorbitant import taxes? Would getting a recycled book be the way to go? What might be the costs of getting this done?

    Any input from those who have regged a Cambo bike in Thailand will be appreciated, as will suggestions from others.

  2. Loading...

  3. LivinLOS

    LivinLOS Ol'Timer

    Same as any bike.. taxes yeah..

    Recycled book could be anything from 15 - 20 for the worst rough messed up or forged book.. up to perhaps 30 - 40 for a top end professional job with frame numbers changed and clean book for the right bike in the system.

    To fully legalize a 400 that had invoices I was quoted 55k from 2 different BKK fixers, I have also been quoted higher for the same task and one person in BKK said it depends on the bike passing an emissions test that costs 30k to take and no refund if it fails.. The two 55k places said they pay some grease to slide through that.

    A 650 would be a bit more in taxes so think up to perhaps 80k but that would also need the import duty on broken down frame and engine.

    Why not just keep the bike and visa run it every 6 months ?? Theres a few guys here with Harleys and others from the USA and they get 3 months each time and can extend that another 2 or 3 months.. Then a trip to Malaysia.
  4. harrythefinn

    harrythefinn Ol'Timer

    I would be interested to know how you get a 6 month entry for a bike, even 3 months. Doesn't it depend on your entry visa? ie, you enter with a one month visa the max the bike will get is also a one month entry. Am I missing something?
  5. LivinLOS

    LivinLOS Ol'Timer

    I dont think it depends on your visa as I know a guy who does this and he didnt have a long stay.. He would get his in for 3 months at first and then extend it a few months before he would have to leave.

    Theres lots of guys down here on Phuket with non Thai regged big bikes, they bring them in via Malay and just tour out of country every now and then. I havent done it myself so dont know the exact mechanics but it seems to work for them.

    Hell theres some guy with a Range Rover Vogue on Brit plates also.. Good saving over Thai price.
  6. tropicaljohno

    tropicaljohno Ol'Timer

    I got a 3 month extension, from Phuket Customs, for Judderead's Cambo rego Baja. But the only reason they extended from 1 month to 3 months was that Judderead had broken his leg, and I had to produce letter from hospital saying he is unable to ride a bike for 3 months, and customs gave us an extra 3 months no problems.

    but you don't want to have to go to the trouble of breaking your leg every 3 months... just to get a 3 month extension.
  7. daewoo

    daewoo Ol'Timer

    What if you get a letter from the Hospital saying that you broke someone else's leg... There are a few well deserving candidates around...
  8. LivinLOS

    LivinLOS Ol'Timer

    Next time I see my bud I will ask the mechanic and if he pays to slide anywhere.. As I say I dont know the exact details but I do know 100% sure this happens.

    His harley is still on his cali plates now and its been here 3 odd years.

Share This Page