Getting Licensed Abroad

Mar 7, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user and a new biker. I have ridden scooters in Korea and Taiwan as well as dirtbikes in Australia, but I don't have a motorcycle license. I would like to buy a bike and travel on the up and up for a few months in Southeast Asia. I'm afraid that my lack of license will be difficult to work around. Does anyone have any experience or advice as it pertains to licensing?

Thank you!

:arrow:

Nov 12, 2013
There are wiser heads here than mine,but I'm pretty sure you can rent easy enough without a licence in Asia,just need your passport as ID.
Even buying could be ok,but not sure about border crossings and more importantly insurances.

Good luck!

Dec 27, 2007
Getting a Thai DL is cheap and easy. Go to your nearest Land Transport Dept to take the test. Its multiple choice and pretty easy. You'll also need your passport and a medical cert saying you are fit to drive/ride. It's true that riding without a license is common here, but I wouldn't recommend it as it will invalidate your insurance.

Jan 4, 2014
I went to my nearest dept with my EU car driving licence. Told them I wanted a car and bike licence. As I didn't have a bike licence, only a car, I had to take the bike tests: eye sight, theory and riding. Failed the theory first time, took it again straight after, passed no problem. Initial licence lasts a year, renewable to 5 years.

It's a day and a little messing around but worth the trouble.

Dec 27, 2007
Poompui;297465 wrote: And you don't need to be on the housing register??
Or type of visa required?
When I got my Thai DL the Land Transport Dept. wanted to see my passport but didn't seem to care what kind of visa I was on. No house book or address certificate required. YMMV :)

Mar 30, 2010
I had to show my work permit.
Nothing would move with out it.

But like everything in LoS. Keep going back sand eventually you get what you want.

Cheers
Brian