Going to Singapore

willem

Nov 29, 2005
Hello,

My wife and I are riding two Honda Waves trough Asia. We are now in KL, Malaysia and we will go to Singapore next week. Anyone knows if there are any restrictions on taking Thai registered bikes into Singapore? We have bought the Malasian insurance. I cannot find any info on crossing borders between JB and Sigapore on this site.

Thank you very much,

Willem and Lieve

Aug 3, 2004
I did it in May last year and my reports are at;

Link removed
Link removed

My biggest problem was getting out of Singapore. I couldn't find the entrance to the Causeway. Splashed around in a thunderstorm for 2 hours and finally found another drenched rider hiding out in a bus stop who was going to Jahore Bahru and asked him if I could follow him. The bike way is separate from the cars and I could see the road but couldn't get to it ! No problems with immigration, just make sure they stamp your passport going in and out of Singapore.
Chhers
Peter

Jul 6, 2004
Same as me Peter, I shipped my bike from Oz to Singapore, the bloody paperwork was enormous, cost me 2 days and about $400 Aus. then the ride out to the border was as you described. got lost and a kind biker on a Honda Gold Wing showed me the way, didn't get any sense out of bike commuter bikes though.

willem

Nov 29, 2005
Thanks a lot for the information.
Since we weren't sure if we would be able to get in without translated documents, we left the bikes in a hotel in Melaka and rode the bus to S'pore and back. Amazing how much you can read on a busride... But we still prefer our beloved little two-wheelers!
Keep riding those beautiful roads,

Willem and Lieve

Aug 3, 2004
Glad you made it to Singapore Willem & Lieve, even if you did wimp out and take the bus. For me Singapore was the prize at the end of a long ride called Sisaket to Singapore so there was no way I was going to stop short. I had spent some time there while I was in the Army and Raffles etc had significant meaning for me so a photograph of the bike parked outside Raffles was priceless. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip on two wheels.
Tom I was happy to read that I am not the only one who had difficulty with that Causeway exit. I've thought about it a bit and wondered if it was that difficult or just me!
Cheers Peter

Pauche

Mar 2, 2006
In fact most of us prefer to use the 2nd link crossing from Tuas to Gelang Patah. It is another crossing into malaysia from Singapore. There is no confusion, lesser traffic, faster and that route gets you on the north-south highway straight to Sadao, Thailand!