GPS

Dec 3, 2003
Can someone give me advise about a GPS navagation system. Something small to carry on a motorcycle. Also where can I get coordinates for Thailand. David, it sounds like your maps use GPS.

DANNIE

"what's behind me is not important"

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Dannie
Suggest you take a look at
http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hichpage=1

For some Thai GPS co-ordinates take a look at
http://www.calle.com/world/TH/index.html
and
http://gospelgo.com/a/thaiv.htm
but note that I have never used either of these lists or found them particularly helpful.
Basically you have to go out there & survey yourself, to build up your own database.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Dec 3, 2003
Thanks for the info David, it will give me a good starting point. I am still planning on moving this year. I spend time near Patum Tanee ans around Pak Chong playing with my wifes family, but I do plan at least a couple of months in CM area. Your website gives me many hours of enjoyment. Thanks again

DANNIE

"what's behind me is not important"

Tirak

Aug 25, 2004
I have a Garmin and have used it here in Washington State alot on some remote routes through the mountain passes. Its very useful on unfamiliar unmarked roads or remote roads marked in a foreign language.

I spent a little time in Laos and rode several routes that were on a map but found myself always checking at forks in the road to be sure I was going the right direction. The GPS completely eliminates this stop, look, and always wondering, until you see a verifiable landmark process. I was wondering if anyone has the GPS routes available for rides in the "Golden Triangle" book or some other routes they found enjoyable in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand.

One dilemma may be if you give the GPs route out will the rides get abused? Considering the remoteness of most of the rides and the fact that most enthusiasts are simply going to the region for a vacation like I have done. It would take more visitors than are currently doing this type of trip to ruin it.

Because I have ridden a few of the routes and have the Maps by David U (excellent work) that I found incredibly accurate and useful I noticed the Garmin world map is so incomplete and inaccurate to navigate by the map, and not the programmed route, would be dangerously misleading. The roads are not located where the map represents them and the names for cities and towns differ alot for the actual name. If your familiar with GPs units you will know this would not mater much if I had a proven route programmed in the GPS unit. But felt it was important to point out.

Furthermore I have been traveling alone and find alot of comfort knowing I have a route programmed in that only takes an occasional glance to see if I'm on track and I can track my distances to specific way points. So this is my longwinded requests to see if anyone has any GPs routes available they enjoyed, that they would be willing to share. I will be heading to Thailand and plan on riding to Cambodia in Dec and will be bringing my GPs for the first time. I will be recording my trips and will make them available on this site to anyone who wants them.

~Tirak

Mar 11, 2004
I brought a Garmin Legend in Singapore, Yes David ! I know its a toy compared with your BIG ONE,[;)] but it serves the purpose for me. In Singapore it was very much cheaper than buying off the local agent in Thailand. (Obviously He needs to keep up the payments on the Mercedes). Downside is that when the cursor went tits up, I had to get it fixed in Sing, normally no problem as I am in and out there often. But the master agents in Singapore are less than helpful, they fixed it in their own good time, but wouldn't deliver locally or in any other way assist.
Anyway, its a great little device and has saved me many hours of riding around in circles. The included Thailand maps are basic but again for what I need they serve the purpose. if I get lost i can identify a nearby town and use the "go to" function. Price for this was about 350 Sing Dollars but they wack you another 70 bucks for the power lead (****ers) which you will need as it sucks batteries like a Nana Bar girls sucks .. (Enough of that please!) .
How about some user reviews of other GPS units ??

Tirak

Aug 25, 2004
I actually had a question in my previous stament somewhere? Does anyone have GPS routes available for rides in the Thai / Cambodia / Laos area?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
From my experience the Garmin world map for upcountry Thailand & Laos is incredibly rough & seriously inaccurate in many places.
I’ve got GPS tracks & waypoints for just about everything in North Thailand & Northern Laos now, but have to admit to not wanting to give these away.
I am however interested in swapping tracks, but they must be done with a default node setting of every 20 metres to be really accurate.
I’m also of the opinion that you still can’t beat a good hard copy map for North Thailand & Laos.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Ajarn

Feb 7, 2005
I have a Meridian MeriColor, which I use in a car around Northern Thailand. I like the fact that I can download onto a card, saving me from losing any tracks on even the longest trips. Meridian has bike mounts, too.

Great fun, good software... About $300 US the last time I checked

Aug 7, 2003
You can buy a plain plug for about $5 and wire a cable into the DC on your bike.If you have a Garmin Map 76 it will take 4v to 35v DC, just hook it into the hot wire on the horn or if you can find the output from the rectifier.Has saved me a shit load on batteries and I like using the background light at night for more than 5 mins.

Harry XR650R