Hat Lek - Sihanoukville - Kampot - PP - AW - ?

Tirak

Aug 25, 2004
I am planning a tour through Cambodia and NE Thailand. I am reading mixed comments about the ability for a westerner to cross at Hat Lek on a motorcycle. I have read and heard some stating it cannot be done.

Also Any comments/advice on the ride from Hat Lek, or a route in general throughout Cambodia. I have many maps and am experieced at exploring remote areas of my home by motorcycle. And have traveled a little in Laos & Chiangmai... loved it.

Im having difficulty determining travel time due to the road conditions in Cambodia. I have 20+ days for Cambodia and would really apprecieate some feedback. I can see there are some very experieced riders at GT rider...

Thanks for your help and feedback

~Eric

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Eric

As far as crossing borders, it depends on how legal your bike is. Tell us something about the bike you will have, where it is registered, if is it a legal registration matching the frame and engine, who owns it, and how good the paperwork is.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Eric
Take a look at these reports
Link removed
and
Link removed
and
Link removed
for some info that might help.

I note too that you "have traveled through the North (Chiang Mai) and rented a bike there..... it was great... I even went south and rented a bike in Patong.... also great....”
but there aint Road & Trip reports yet, so how bout contributing one after your next trip, please.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Tirak

Aug 25, 2004
I am planning on buying a bike in BKK. I arrive in Nov/Dec and looking for a 500-750cc enduro. I ride a BMW GS 1150 Adventure and a 400cc DRZ Enduro at home. But really enjoy the lighter bikes. Any suggestions?

What paper would be important? I intend on paying for a bike with papers but cant imagine they will be completed in time when I leave for Cambodia. I was thinking of paying a deposit 3 weeks before I leave for BKK but this feels against my better judgment.

Bob I see from one of your post you have done most of this same route. Any advice? I have a pretty good map and was wondering about some specific routes and ride times. I am also looking for suggested route from Angkor back to BKK. I was thinking of exploring Isan?

David, I will post my rides form about 2 years ago with pics. I rode some in Laos and liked it alot. I used this board as a resource for that trip and intend on giving back to the group. Thanks for the nudge.

~Eric

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Eric

You will need a registered bike to travel out of Thailand. It could be registered in someone else's name, if you have the permission form from them. Check out the info at GT rider.

As far as buying a bike, remember that there is not a lot of choice. Right now, there is a Honda XR650R at Siam Superbike.
http://www.siamsuperbike.com/Bikes/Offroad%20Bikes.html
Contact them for more info.

If a bike has no plate, getting it registered in a hurry won't happen. If the bike is registered already, transfering it to your name can be done quickly, and will require an address form from Thai Immigration or your consulate. Check the legal info under New Users.

I realize that it is hard to buy a bike unseen, but that may be what you have to do in order to have a bike with a plate waiting for you.

Forget about getting bike luggage and accessories here. Bring everything with you.

As far as ride info, all my riding has been in Thailand and Laos - nothing yet in Cambodia.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Eric
Yeah yeah I hear ya loud & clear. But, nudge nudge & yet another nudge (for the last 2 years). I dont doubt that your intentions have been / are good like many other riders; but only real action will get you genuine GT Rider brownie points (possibly with specific routes & ride times.)
Siam Superbike are as reliable as you can get, so if you're planning on using them stick with 'em.
I hope you have a good & safe trip. Keep us informed how you go now.......

Davidfl
Keep The Power On