HCMC good mechanic?

decook

Mar 13, 2014
Hey...

First off, as this is my first post I'd like to say thanks to you guys at gtrider you've already helped a lot in my travels so far and been inspirational in getting me here.

Anyway back to the point of my post... I just rolled in to Ho Chi Minh City from Hanoi on an old Honda GL Pro, the ride down was awesome. However I'm finding the bike to be a little thirsty on oil probably due to the amount it burns. I'm planning on taking the bike on to Cambodia and Laos (and if I can get it over the border Thailand too) but before I do I'd like to look into getting the engine reconditioned.

Can anyone point me at a good garage that would be able to do this. English speaking would be a real bonus too as my Vietnamese is limited to 'hello', 'sorry' and 'thank you', so not really the best to have a technical discussion with.

Thanks in advance...

decook

Mar 13, 2014
If anyone is interested I ended up using these guys:

Saigon Scooter Centre

25/7 Cuu Long, Ward 2
Tan Binh District,
HCM City

0084 8 3848 7816

Its owned by and English guy (Patrick), but all the mechanics are Vietnamese. They mostly seem to be doing custom jobs on Lambrettas and have a lot of these in stock. But were happy to take in my old beater. They pulled apart the engine showed me what needed doing and are currently working on it:

A rebore,
New piston,
New rings,
New valves,
New clutch plates,
New top sprocket,
Rebuild front shocks,
New back shocks.

Costing me about 5M Dong.

decook

Mar 13, 2014
Its running a treat, no more burning a litter of oil every 300km, compression is good, and so much more power. The reconditioned shocks make it much more comfortable ride too ... It feels like a bike that will make it to Bali now.

After the work they offered me the old bits, I guess to show they had really replaced them, I left them behind. They even let me try and help (despite not speaking a word in the same language as the guys working on it) witch was great I can now do the timing, clutch plate change, and even rear break assembly myself.

All in all I'm very happy with Saigon Scooter Centre.

Sep 15, 2012
Flamingo Travel have a their branch shop in HCMC. They can repair bigger cc bikes as well.  The staff speak very good English.

Flamingo Travel Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Branch:

Address: 30A Do Quang Dau, Pham Ngu Lao ward, district 1, HCMC.
HCMC 24hr Help: +84 (0) 98 675 1020