Hello from new member in Vientiane Laos, riding a CRF 250 L

Mar 12, 2013
Hello everyone!

I've known about this forum for years but for some reason never got round to joining...Anyhow after meeting David Unkovich at my works party last week (I work for Green Discovery) He gave me his GT-Rider card which ushered me on to join the forum and here I am!

I am 24, from the UK but now living in Vientiane, Laos!

I've got a 2013 Honda CRF 250 L which I've only had for a month/1000km. I've been riding a bike since I was 14 and since I was 16 on the road and have done many many miles!

I did a trip with a friend a couple of years ago on Honda Wave 125's from Cha-Am in Thailand and up through Issan, in to Laos and spent a month riding through Laos and then back down in to Thailand. I will post a travel thread up as I'd imagine a few people would be interested in seeing some pics?

Anyhow here is a pic of my bike after some light off roading near Ban Keun which is about 70km North of Vientiane:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know the CRF isn't anything special but I must admit that I do really like it! Plus in Laos you don't have many great options for bikes like in the west. I'm certainly wanting to do a few nice mods such as ECU, Exhaust, handlebars and hand guards etc.... I'd love to go the whole hog with it eventually and fit a 300cc big bore kit and cam etc...

I'd love to meet up with some fellow members especially people in Vientiane as I don't really know many fellow foreigners so it would be great to meet some new friends!

Anyhow looking forward to posting away!

Thanks in advance :D

Mar 12, 2013
That was a warm welcoming :silent:

I'm guessing that most members aren't generally active that often then?

Shame as I'm really looking forward to some bike talk and as I mentioned already hopefully meeting some local members.

Anyhow we shall see...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
supernova-dw
Gday & welcome. I just got back yesterday.
It was good meeting you at the GDL "women's day party" ( but I think us guys out numbered the ladies.) I hope you made it home ok -I hit KCD & Martinis & Windwest after GDL so was a bit wonky going home at 2AM from WW. Did the ladies leave any Cointreau at the end of the night, or did that continue to go down like Beer the same?

Keep plugging away on GTR - you will get feedback.
Any pics & tips you want to share are most welcome.

Did you get your CRF from Fuark?

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the post!

Yeh it was nice to meet you too. As you say ironic that being woman's day the men out numbered the women by about ten to one ha ha.

I got home all OK at around 1am so earlier than you! Can't say it was the best journey home though ha ha.

As for the Cointreau I haven't got a clue what happened to that? I presume it went though. I stick with the beer myself!

I shall keep posting and see how it goes. As I say I am keen to meet some local members and go out for some rides and just generally meet some new people too!

I got my CRF from New Chip Xeng Honda. I went to look at them at Fuark but he wanted $200 USD More than New Chip Xeng so the decision was obvious. I cant understand why he is charging more than the main dealer to be honest?

New Chip Xeng are pretty damn useless though to be honest! When I bought the bike the same night I went out riding and when I put the light on main beam it was pointing in to the sky! Also they didn't put any lubrication on the chain at all! It was completely dry!

The next problem I've got it that it is now due it's first service at 1000km (I've already changed the oil once) And from reading on the net it needs the valve clearances checking on the first service so I called up new Chip Xeng and asked them how long they would need my bike for to do the first service. Their answer.....15 Minutes!!!!!! I mean what the hell are they going to do in 15 minutes???? All they're going to do is change the oil! I want to keep this bike fully serviced and do exactly what needs doing so I'm not prepared just to ignore checking the valve clearances so I'm not sure what to do now? In all honesty I don't think I could even trust them to check them.

I could do the job myself but I don't have any feeler gauges etc... and although my Lao is OK I can see it being problematic trying to order shims from Honda. So yeh in all honesty I'm not sure what to do? I can't check the clearances and then wait around for ages for valve shims (I doubt they keep them in stock - it's Lao!) So I don't know? Hmmmmm