Hello From New Zealand

May 2, 2018
Thanks for approving my membership to this forum. I've found a lot of valuable information contained from within.

My lady & I are heading to Thailand end of November this year for about 3 weeks. At this stage we are planning to hire a couple of bikes (500cc +) in Chiang Mai probably spend about 7 days (6 nights) exploring the Northern Roads. We are still in the researching stage.
We are welcome to suggestions on routes & sights.

We have been to Chiang Mai before & thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks once again Cheers Ian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gday & welcome.

Your coming to the right place for some of the best motorbike touring on the planet.

There's a GTR Trip Planning guide with "all the options" that should be a big help getting you started

Tours

In November we have the annual GTR MHS Loop Memorial Ride
The Ride: 2017 9th Annual Gtr Mhs Memorial Ride

You should also note the Loy Krathong festival full moon in November. This year it will be 23 November I think.
This is one of the biggest festivals in the North & most places will be heavily booked around then, so be prepared.

Good luck & make sure you let us know how you go.

May 2, 2018
Thanks David
Yes I've been studying the information on the "Tours" page. Heaps of great stuff there. I've also order a set of GT-Rider maps. These should help with organizing the bucket list for this trip.
I arrive in Bangkok 25th Nov for 4 days so will miss the Memorial Ride. At this stage we probably won't get to Chiang Mai until the start of December.
In NZ we both ride Ducati, Judy a monster & I a Hyperstrada.
Thanks once again for the info & the welcome.
Cheers Ian

princey

Ol'Timer
Nov 5, 2017
Hi and welcome to GT-Rider

Daves Maps GT-riders are a must IMO, also the offer from Ian is a good idea?

Ian being a local resident has local information on routes, road conditions etc.

As Dave said it's a great place to ride but with your limited time available you need to ensure you ride the best of the best.

Have a great trip see you on the road.

Reactions: Ian Cunningham

blackb15

Subscribed
Oct 11, 2009
Ian
I have got lots of really useful advice of this site and meet many riders.I will be back when your around hope to see you.
Safe riding
Paul

Reactions: Ian Cunningham

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
Nice to see Burt in the background, Ian, and a sunny Invercargill day!
My old stomping ground...
27427300899_c0535a575e_b.jpg
D003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Did you and Judy make it over to Thailand?