helmets, let the argument begin

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
That was my unnecessarily nasty reply to your antagonizing post. If you want to keep it on here, fine.

Oct 7, 2006
WIMPY....DONT WANT TO ARGUE.. OK CHILL..WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON... RIDING.......AND TALKING ABOUT BIKES..

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by flyingkiwi

WIMPY....DONT WANT TO ARGUE.. OK CHILL..WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON... RIDING.......AND TALKING ABOUT BIKES..

Agreed. That is why I edited my post in an attempt to ratchet the exchange down a notch.

Cheers.

Oct 7, 2006
GOOD WE HAVE THINGS SORTED.....HAHA,, WE MAY EVEN RIDE TO-GETHER ONE DAY,,,NEVER NO MIGHT GET TO LIKE EACH OTHER,,,

Oct 7, 2006
sorry mate,,, is this better,,,anyone want 2 do any adveneture rididing in se thailand south of pattaya.... will b there next year.....going to ride an XR.... HONDADERGA..contact me if u are interested......also do a a few charity runs,,,,,kids and stuff

Apr 10, 2006
I witnessed something last week that reminded me of this thread, I drove up to Chiang Mai with the GF from Pattaya and about halfway there I see a guy standing in the middle of the highway waving his arms around, I could see something in the road just behind him and guessed what it was straight away.

As we got closer we could see it was a teenage girl in a school uniform which my GF says would of made her 15 at most, she was lying on her back motionless with a rather large pool of blood coming from the back of her head and I have to say appeared most definately dead, at the side of the road was a small step thru motorbike that had obviously been involved in an accident and also a pick up truck with damage.

If this poor young girl had of been wearing a crash helmet she would probably be alive today with maybe a few broken bones. As far as I'm concerned the helmet law needs to be applied vigorously and a safety standard for helmets put in place like we have in the UK.

Oct 7, 2006
bit of a sad storry mate...must of been a hard for u to see this..poor girl..i have witnessed similar incedints..dont sleep for weeks..iam pretty hot on wearing safety gear...had a few argueements with a few guys about it..got a guy fly at me...hahah your wrong ,,i road 800ks to-day with out a helmet..havent seen him in here for a while..mayebe is fell of his bike..and landed on his head..i agree 100%...where your safety gear..and make sure its got a standards stamp on it...

Oct 29, 2006
Flying Kiwi, have not crashed since we last spoke. I am flying out to Hanoi tommorrow night to spend a week riding in Vietnam. Going to have to rent or buy one of those chinsese bikes. Ride Safe! Tim

Fiddy

Aug 30, 2006
I'm wondering how many of the preachy helmet wearers smoke cigarettes? Seems they can be more dangerous than motorcycles. And who gives a shite if enduro doesn't wear his on occaison or maybe fails to wear his seatbelt, I'm more concerned for the poor little kids and infants riding 4 up on their parents scooters without helmets. They have not been given the choice.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Fiddy-

I guess you are refering to me as one of the "preachy helmet wearers". Don't smoke, never have. BUT I couldn't agree with you more about the small children on motorcycles. I get upset everytime I see it. However, I think most people reading this site are probably not Thai and I don't think there is much we can do to influence that situation.

Oct 12, 2005
Fiddy,

Keep in mind some of the "preachy" comments were made in response to Enduro250's earlier callous views on various subjects(that he has since rescinded). Ride safe Tim.

I preach helmets but am not perfect. On a 550 km ride the other day with Silverhawk and Pikey i thought about riding the 1/2 KM into town (after checking in to the hotel) without one. Then realized it would be inconsiderate of me to do so. Why? I am potentially affecting my riding partners trip if I was to get injured in an accident where a helmet could have kept me safe. Many times the decision to wear or not wear a helemt can affect more people than just the rider.

Good luck

Fiddy

Aug 30, 2006
Ya, you guys are right, safety first, especially at risk of a bad hair day. I wear an open face with googles myself, figure it's good enough for the cops. I don't know how you can cook your nogin in a full face, middle of summer, city traffic and heat, also can't seem to get any periferal in a f.f.. They do shine however, in the cold and rain. Those BMW convertable lids are trick though, allow you to flip up the front at times

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Drive safely and don't forget to put your helmet on your head ...

For those who want to source a rather good quality helmet, I learned from a previous trip in South East Asia that:

-part of ROOF Helmet production (Roof helmets...)are made in VietNam
-there is a production of ARAI helmets in Thailand

Thus with this I am sure you can source a nice and safe helmet at a raisonable price.

This was just an information ...

Fiddy

Aug 30, 2006
Merci beaucoup, Laurent,
can you give us an address where we can scoop up a helmet fresh off the assembly line.

Dec 5, 2006
cant agree..more sometimes i ride a few ks.with my helmet over the handle bars......talking to yr mate....but when it gets on the road....i asauslly have my helmet on

Feb 21, 2006
For what it's worth, the stores in BKK that sell "new" Arai helmets (Paddock, Mr. T, don't know about Fast Corner) are actually selling NOS (new, old stock). Arai started putting the mfg date on the chin strap about 2-3 years ago. Older models have a sticker inside or it is molded into the inner shell itself.

Why does this matter? Arai recommends retiring your helmet after 7 years because of the natural degradation of the Styrofoam liner. It becomes brittle and unable to absorb the energy of an impact.

A Thai riding companion in BKK was chiding me for spending 23,000B on a new Arai helmet in the states when he just bought a new one from Mr. T for 9,000. We compared dates. Mine was 6 months old, his was 9 years old. Having said that, even a 9 year old Arai is better than a brand new "tupperware" style Thai helmet.

My Thai neighbors are always flabergasted when they learn how much I spent on my helmet (sometimes more than the cost of their step-thru. I ask them, "How much is your head worth?"

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ivan, maybe you caught me at a bad moment cuz i just got back from the first night of Chiang Mai bike weekend and am full of beer BUT - if you are gonna carry a helmet, why the feck do you put it on the bars (and possibly interfere with the brake/clutch lever?) rather than putting it on your head??? Mind you, if you put it on the bars and think it looks "cool" then maybe your brain ain't worth protecting!

Pikey.

Feb 21, 2006
Pikey, I suspect your are right about the bad moment. I remember you being much more genial when inebriated. Look forward to joining you tonight.

I always wore a helmet when I lived/rode in southern California and was amazed at how many guys would pull off their helmets as soon as they crossed the state line into Arizona (where it was legal to ride without a helmet). We had a name for them. We called them "organ donors".

Feb 21, 2006
Hi Jeff,
I learned that lesson long ago - not to post when under the influence. Always better to write it, save it and look at again in the morning before hitting send. That's why most of my posts are early AM.
See you tonight,

Joko

Dec 10, 2006
a buddy of mine somehow low-sided on on our national hiway, in excess of 140kph...he tumbled, rolled & whacked his head onto the armco barrier pole. His shoei helmet had a massive dent that none of us can believe. My friend had a 'mild 30min' concussion and suffered the discomfort of having 3 adam's apples for a bit more.
He was shaken but alive thanks to his helmet.

I have also seen an incident where the rider fell off his bike, his loose & possibly unstrapped, helmet flew off. The poor chap's head opened up when it was introduced to the concrete sidewalk...

Me? I never leave home on abike with it [:D]

jokoMax