help a girl out...

Jan 12, 2003
help a girl out...
« on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 9:52pm » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

I would like to get in touch via email with some people who don't mind answering some questions and offering their advice and experience. I will be arriving in Thailand at the end of Feb/early March. I'm planning on renting a bike to do some touring in N. Thailand out of Chaing Mai second week of March, and then after making my way (sans bike) down to Phnom Pehn through Laos, renting a bike to tour around the coast of Cambodia before flying out at the end of March.

What I really want to know are things like:
-What gear should I bring and what is cheap/safe to buy/rent there? -I'm going to be backpacking at least half the time, so would rather carry less than more gear, and I'd prefer to leave my streetriding gear at home altogether. Also, I'm planning on buying some dirtbike gear for home before the summer- can this type of stuff be bought more cheaply in Thailand, or is it no big bargain compared to purchasing in N. America (I'm from Canada).
-How hard is it going to be to meet up with people to ride with?-David has advised that it is safe to travel in Thailand alone, but I'd prefer to meet up with some others for some rides (preferably non- or only semi-letcherous individuals... hey, I'm just kidding, but I'm really hoping that no one will bother to try to freak me out, just because I'm a girl).
Please email me if you don't mind letting me pick your brain. I would be happy to repay especially helpful individuals with dinner if we can meet up during my trip.

In the meantime, thanks for everyone who takes the time to post details of their trips- very awesome resource for those of us "counting the sleeps" until we get to find out what all the talk is about. Yeehaw- I can't wait

Cheers,
Pam

Feb 20, 2003
Thank you S and JJ for your help and advice. I am looking forward to meeting with you in the next couple of weeks!

Cheers,
Pam