help me please

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by drorporat, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. drorporat

    drorporat New Member

    hi everybody.
    first of all i want to apologise if i dont write well becuse my englise is not very well.
    i m with my to friends and we come to thailand two month ago.
    we bought 3 honda pantom 200 cc and travel arond the contry.
    but when we traied to get out to lao they want let us becuse we dont have the green book and the license plaite.
    we tray to register at my friend house but they r making us hell.
    is there an easy way to get it?
    they sand me from one office to another. from city to city.
    i m in khon khen.
    is there any whan in the area that can help me.
    we r despert and dont know what to do.
    thenks dror.
  2. Loading...

  3. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    Sorry to hear about your problems.

    You need to take a look at
    To actually cross an international border with a motorcycle you need a passport, a bike a licence.
    1. Passport: this should be valid & have the appropriate visa if necessary (if the rental shop has your passport as security for the bike then you can't cross the border.)
    2. Bike: you need to prove it's "real", not stolen & have valid docs to support this = proof of ownership, the bike licence / registration, valid insurance. If you can't produce these then you're in for a tough time trying to get out of Thailand!
    If the bike is not in your name or rented, then you need permission from the owner to legally export the bike. Click here for info on taking a bike out that is not registered in your name. Note that this works 99% of the time, but that remaining 1% is hard to take if you get caught short. You've been warned!
    3. Motorcycle driving licence (although this is very seldom asked for.)

    You need the bikes registered in your name, or permission from the owner to export the bikes.
    If the bike is not registered in your name, how do the customs know the bike is not stolen?
    Take a look at
    for more info.

    Where did you buy the bikes from?
    Whose name are they registered in?

    Regarding Laos, if you are trying to get into Laos at the Friendship bridge, it is NOT possible at the moment!
    Take a look at
    Link removed
    It may be possible at another border crossing.
    The closest one to Nong Khai is Bung Kan 135 kms "downstream" from Nong Khai / Pakxan 150 kms downstream from Vte. You might want to give this one a go as I think it might work, otherwise keep heading south & try Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khek, Mukdahan / Savannakhet , Chong Mek / Vang Tao.

    Good luck & dont worry about your English - make a trip report for the GT Rider board.

    Keep The Power On
  4. drorporat

    drorporat New Member

    hi davidfl.
    thenk u for enswer me so fast.
    i boughet my bike in a shop in khon khen.
    it a new one so it is not register one anyone name.
    i have all the reciept but they dont let me cross the border becuse i dont have the grin book and the license plaite.
    i have a tourist visa!
    is there any chense i can go out to lao?
  5. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    You won't get out of Thailand unless the bike is legally registered & you have permission from the owner - yourself or whoever - to take the bike out.
    To get the bike registered in your name, you could ask Khon Kaen? / Nong Khai immigration if they would do a letter for you confirming your local address.
    You won't get into Laos across the Friendship bridge at the moment. Another border crosing maybe possible, but you'll need a legal registered bike first.
    Before you can cross international borders, the bike / vehicle needs to be a legal, registered, insured one. I'm sure this is the same practice in most countries around the world. It is foolish to think that you can just jump on any illegal / unregistered motorbike and start riding across international borders. It needs to be a legal registered vehicle first.

    Keep The Power On
  6. BobS

    BobS Ol'Timer


    You are allowed to register a bike in your own name - even when you are in Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. I have personally done this, and so have others on the board. Don,t believe anyone that tells you different.

    You will need a legal address to do so. This can be on a form from your embassy or from a Thai Immigration office.

    Recently, Thai Immigration in Chiang Mai started asking for proof that the address is a valid one. You can use a friend,s address, but they would want to see a lease or something similar.


    "The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."
  7. drorporat

    drorporat New Member

    thenk u bobs for the informition.
    i did all those stuff. but now they want me to bring some one that work in the govrement to gerenti me (i dont know about what).
    except of the embassy leter that comforum my adress.
    did we herd about somthing like that? is it sound risinabal to u ?

Share This Page