Help? Taking a Thai bike to Cambo

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by cdrw, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. I've searched the Cambo Embassy and other sites, but haven't found any info as to how long I can have a Thai licensed bike in Cambodia.

    I know a Cambo licensed bike can be in Thailand only 30-days, but have no idea what the situation is for a Thai bike in Cambo? In the past, I've either rented in Cambo or used a local friend's bike...and am tentatively planning on a trip in excess of 30-days.

    If there is a stringent restriction on the length of stay, I may just
    acquire (legal) cambo plates to use during my future visits.

    I appreciate any info or links indicating what the law is relative to Thai bikes in Cambodia. Thanks...

    Pattaya local
  2. cdrw-

    I have no idea about Cambodia, but there is a little known regulation on how long your Thai registered bike can be taken OUT of Thailand. On the form you get when leaving it has a "blank" which is filled in by Thai Customs, usually 30 days. If you are out longer you may be subject to a fine on a per day basis. I thought I had a copy of my old paperwork but I can't find it so I am going by memory. When Davidfl and I were in Laos for an extended period he got stuck with this one.

    Maybe someone can give more details on this, Davidfl?

    Dave Early

    Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?
  3. Geeee Dave,

    your reference to the 30 day limit is indeed important for any planning and it shows once again easy traveling the Western World is and how spoiled we are.


  4. Thanks for the heads-up S-hawk....on how long a Thai bike may be _outside_ of the country. I'll be sure and ask for a sufficient number of days when checking out of Thailand at the border.

    OTOH...a friend and fellow rider who spends lotsa time there and has a business in Cambo replied to the question on another board. While he didn't know if Cambo sets any limits for foreign bikes being in-country, he provided the response below. Based on his reply it's apparent there is really no monitored in-country time limit, but one must assure enough days for the Thai bike being outside of Thailand.

    "I have known guys with foreign registered bikes (such as XXX name removed) have them here for over 6 months. Especially in Snooky it was never a problem; one bar owner had Thai plates on his bike for several years before he sold it."

    Pattaya local
  5. When I went to Malaysia last year this was a concern and so I asked the question at Customs in Sadao and they said there was no limit to how long your bike could be outside Thailand. They filled in the computerised "Simplified Customs Declaration Form" and I signed it.
    Three months later on my way back they took the form back and sent me on my way, bit of an anticlimax really.

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  6. So it's okay to take a thai registered bike into Cambodia for up to 30 days? I'm planning to take my bike into cambodia just to get around in Sihanoukville, then rent a 250 Enduro for some daytrips and park my bike in a reliable guesthouse. Won't stay longer than 30 days.
  7. if you get here and run into some problems let me know i am in cambodia in phnom penh and have a shop here i have some connections and know some good places to stay jeff
  8. Thanks, jeff, I may use some advice since I've never been to PP.
    Read your other post about your new shop, is it all up and running already? Good luck with your endeavour!
  9. KLAUS....
    If you've never been to Snooky, I suggest your look at the
    Canby Guide and the listings for Sihanoukville:

    I like the Oasis Hotel, located on Ekkareach (the main street), but it's not listed in Canby. Link removed
    The have some enormous rooms (500+sq ft) for $15-20 and some smaller rooms for less. Good food, but a little pricy; great pizza. The staff will bring your bike inside each night. Aussie owners (Brian & Michael)and German manager (Siggy) are also riders.
    Do look at Canby and consider The Samll Hotel. Nice people, good food

    For cheaper backpacker type places, just look along the beach areas, or go to Victory Hill (AKA Weather Station Hill). Avoid Mealy Chenda on Victory Hill..lots of bad press about them!
    At the Beach, try this Aussie owned place:
    Link removed

    For Western breakfast do go to the Starfish Bakery. They are non-profit, employing Khmer mine victims and profits go towards helping other similar victims.
  10. Thanks for your advice - been to Snooky, only for 9 days though, and liked it very much. Have the Canby brochures - there you can see already that even though there's not much foreign investment and the roads and smaller villages are in poor shape, people are able to produce professional and up-to-date information - better than in some areas in TH! These people are switched on, give them foreign investment, lots of tourist dollars and in ten years they'll have overtaken the "Land of Mai Pen Rai"....
    I'll be staying a month, so $20 a night is a bit on the high side for a poor country school teacher like me. Also I prefer to stay close to the beach. Discovered a decent place across from my favorite bar, the Sporting Club, run by Alexis, a french guy - good music, friendly people, good food, Coke with Pernod aso.
    Met a swedish guy on the boat who took me to the Small Hotel, very friendly khmer people, the swedish owner was not too inviting. definitely recommendable!
    The bik I'm taking is my trusty little CBR 150 R, which is great transportation from my village to the border. But I'm a bit worried about road conditions from the border overland to Snookyville - a sportbike is probably worse than a Honda Wave on bad roads. Seating position and clip-ons aren't what you need off road. What would you say, would it be better to take a Wave 125 to travel to S'ville next April?
  11. Just a thumbs up to Jeff, great website and I may look you up if/when I get there this Spring.Dave

Share This Page