Hi, GT Riders from Toronto

Nov 5, 2011
I notice that this is a place where people introduce themselves after signing on to GT-riders, so that's what I'm going to do.

I just became a member yesterday, and am busy on my first trip through all the relevant forum topics, especially the ones for new users—they've already helped a lot!

I'm Brian Robinson from Toronto in Canada. I was, until recently (see below) working in public relations/communications for an organization of professional employees in the electricity industry.

I'm going to spend 3-4 months in SE Asia starting Feb 2 or so, 2012, and hope to do a lot of biking while there. I just took it up this year—mostly in preparation for my trip—and, so while I'm really enjoying myself, I'm still pretty new at it.

The reason I've got so much time to spend abroad is I recently offered my employer the chance of a lifetime—if they would just extend me full pay for a few months while I looked for other opportunities (;)), I would go away and stop bothering them about such things as decent, non-mind-numbing work. They, being not entirely brain-dead, and as tired of me as I was of them, jumped at the opportunity. So I'm gone, and ready to spend some time and a few dollars to benefit the Thais, the Laos, the Viets, and the Khmers. All while biking my ass off.

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd be able to do this relatively frequently. I'm sure most of you will agree.

I'll be arriving in CM around Feb 6th, to visit a friend of mine of very long standing (who's also a GTR member). The Kafe will be one of my first stops in this terrific city. Looking forward to making some contacts.

I'd be very interested in biking from CM to Hanoi—or CM to HCMC—sometime in February with some of the GTR folks, if there are any people planning trips. I know this is likely not the place to solicit such information—I expect at any moment to come across the GTR forum thread where this kind of thing is done—so I don't expect any answers at any time soon. OTOH, if you know of something, I won't object if you point me toward it.

On another note, since registering I've been getting error messages on certain pages. For example, when I go to the "forums" page and log in, I am directed to this page :

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/content/1-home

It says:

bbbrobin, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I'm not aware of any way in which (1) or (2) above is relevant.

It's not a BIG problem, because I can just click on the "Forum" button and Bob's your uncle. But it's not the only page on which this occurs, and I'd rather it didn't. If you have any advice, I'll appreciate it.

Cheers!

—>Brian

Nov 5, 2011
And, of course, I didn't mean "Hi, GT Riders from Toronto." I meant, "Hi from Toronto, GT Riders." Not a good mistake for a communications guy to make!

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Brian, welcome to the Forum, hope you enjoy your coming holidays here in LOS. Keep an eye on those GT-Rider dinners, we would only be too happy to see u there !
Yep, I can understand the 'love' some experience at their workplace, told my previous bosses also to do somthing not so nice to themselves & did the same and 'dropped the key'.....
Cheers, Franz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Brian, sorry, haven't been online for some time as a nasty cold has gotten hold of me for weeks already. Got some strange message which I couldn't identify to be actually yours.
If there's a problem with your PM's please contact Admin to solve this, I'm no moderator or admin guy and can't help with this one but they should be able to solve any glitch. Cheers, Franz