Himalayas II: Riding In Nepal

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu is amazing, a city of narrow alleys and overhanging electric lines, it seems the city is bursting to expand. We managed to rent a Pulsar, not too fast, not too slow, pretty damn fuel efficient though, and waited for bated breath for Nepal.

nepal01.jpg

nepal02.jpg

nepal03.jpg

nepal04.jpg

nepal05.jpg

nepal06.jpg

nepal07.jpg

nepal08.jpg

nepal09.jpg

nepal10.jpg

nepal11.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The main lifeblood, it links Kathmandu and Pohkara. A pretty easy road, we spent a night in the mountain village of Bandipur, before makinig it to Pohkara on the following day.

nepal12.jpg

nepal13.jpg

nepal14.jpg

nepal15.jpg

nepal16.jpg

nepal17.jpg

nepal18.jpg

nepal19.jpg

nepal20.jpg

nepal21.jpg

nepal22.jpg

nepal23.jpg

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
FB666Y,

Some absolutely classic photos there!

Love the report. Are you on your own? How is the bike and roads?

It definately looks cold. Looking forward to your next installment.

Mar 11, 2008
Great looking shots.. Reminds me of the india vibe and my monsoon madness tour. Wuuld love to do a more mountainous tour.

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Dougal wrote: FB666Y,

Some absolutely classic photos there!

Love the report. Are you on your own? How is the bike and roads?

It definately looks cold. Looking forward to your next installment.

Thanks - the temperature was somewhat cold - I think it got to 16 or 17 Celsius in the evening. For someone from the tropics thats practically freezing.

Just myself and the significant other. The bike was fine - I had 2 punctures on the first day, but nothing else after that.

The roads - well ... the major highways were pretty ok. You do get sections where its just rocks, but outside of the major highways expect rocks, lots of them.

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
So named after Siddharta Gautama (better known as Buddha) who was born (at the end of the road at Lumbini) and lived hereabouts, it joins India in the south and goes up north to Pohkara. The scenery is dramatic as the road winds its way through mountains and cliffs. We had a detour in Tansen and managed a walk in the woods.

nepal38.jpg

nepal39.jpg

nepal40.jpg

nepal41.jpg

nepal42.jpg

nepal43.jpg

nepal44.jpg

nepal45.jpg

nepal46.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Pretty straightforward, the long road is straight and in good repair. We spent 2 nights in Sauraha, at the fringes of the Royal Chitwan National Park.

nepal47.jpg

nepal48.jpg

nepal49.jpg

nepal50.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Tribhuvan winds its serpentine way for 120km from Hetauda to Naubise where it joins the Prithvi Highway.
It is an amazing road that meanders along rice fields and wheat fields, through gorges and along precipitous mountains.
The road is one-laned, narrow and broken in many places, and a lot of the surface is rippled and bumpy. The going was slow, but the scenery was breathtaking.

nepal51.jpg

nepal52.jpg

nepal53.jpg

nepal54.jpg

nepal55.jpg

nepal56.jpg

nepal57.jpg

nepal58.jpg

nepal59.jpg

nepal60.jpg

nepal61.jpg

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
FB666Y, amazing pictures !!!! What about the PULSAR, how many cc's, where built ??? How did she perform, many breakdowns ?? How's servicing in Nepal for this one, where to rent ? I am asking because I also intend to return to this marvellous country after 10 years absence. Prices, Conditions ?? Can I still get useable riding gear in Kath ? Sorry i ask you questions but I have a deep admiration for this country and its people since 20 years..........and go back there in 2009 for some rough riding.
I like the one picture where the Ama Dablam is reddish at evening time, also the one of Anapurna & Dhaulaghiri range, marvellous !!!!
I'm sure you enjoyed the paragliding in Pokhara !!!! Cheers & keep them beautiful pictures comin'!!! Franz

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Franz - Eastern Seaboard wrote: FB666Y, amazing pictures !!!! What about the PULSAR, how many cc's, where built ??? How did she perform, many breakdowns ?? How's servicing in Nepal for this one, where to rent ? I am asking because I also intend to return to this marvellous country after 10 years absence. Prices, Conditions ?? Can I still get useable riding gear in Kath ? Sorry i ask you questions but I have a deep admiration for this country and its people since 20 years..........and go back there in 2009 for some rough riding.
I like the one picture where the Ama Dablam is reddish at evening time, also the one of Anapurna & Dhaulaghiri range, marvellous !!!!
I'm sure you enjoyed the paragliding in Pokhara !!!! Cheers & keep them beautiful pictures comin'!!! Franz
I had an idea you might be interested in Nepal, considering what a fan of Ladakh you are.

To answer your questions:
The Pulsar was great - didnt break down, had 2 punctures but luckily I managed to ride to the local puncture-wallah. She was the 150cc DTS-i for 500 Nepali rupees perday (that will be about 7 or 8 us dollars), had 7K on the meter, and I managed to add slightly under 900km on it. I rented her in Chattrapati junction in Thamel.

Most of the bikes are Indian built Pulsar and Hero Hondas. There's also quite a bit of Chinese made motorcycles humming about.

Plenty of shops in Thamel renting motorbikes - you can even find Bullets if you look hard enough.

As for servicing on the road, we never really had a problem, most towns usually have motorbike shops dealing with punctures, oil changes and the like, and the Pulsar is a pretty common enough bike not to pose any problems with the local mechanics.

As for gear there's literally hundreds of shops selling knocked-off North Face gear. Im sure all that will keep you warm and dry, but I didnt see any proper motorcycle gear.

Para-gliding was amazing. A bit steep though - US100 for half hour.

You are more familiar with the mountain ranges than I am. The views from Daman along the Tribhuvan were amazing.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
FB666Y, many thanks for the information, Royal Enfield............hmmmm...........I think I forget about the Pulsar, had one of these legkicking beasts when in India 20 years ago, will go for just that one. When do you do the next epic trip to either Nepal or India ? Cheers, Franz

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
nice picture and scenery bro .thanks for sharing... :D
dont know when dreaming become true :D :D

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Pauche wrote: nice adventure!

Are you able to bring the rented Pulsar across the border, into Tibet?
Well,
I heard it was possible - buts thats what the travel agent (hoping to make money off of me) was saying.

Personally it'll be quite a challenge - for starters you will need your passport, so you have to convince the rental shop to return their only collateral. Secondly you actually have to get into Tibet. Thirdly Lhasa is about 250km away from the border on very bad dirt roads. Add in high passes at 3 to 4km above sea level, you can factor in AMS. Once in Lhasa, provided you managed all the obstacles, you will the unenviable task of returning by the same roads!

My advice would be to put Tibet on the backburner for a coule of years - until the political situation improves and China loosens up a bit. In the meantime there's India with its endless possibilities. You can also have a look at China's north western regions (thats what I will be looking at anyways) - Taklaman Deserts, its borders with the Stans and the Silk route.

Pauche

Mar 2, 2006
FB666Y wrote: [quote quote=Pauche]nice adventure!

Are you able to bring the rented Pulsar across the border, into Tibet?
Well,
I heard it was possible - buts thats what the travel agent (hoping to make money off of me) was saying.

Personally it'll be quite a challenge - for starters you will need your passport, so you have to convince the rental shop to return their only collateral. Secondly you actually have to get into Tibet. Thirdly Lhasa is about 250km away from the border on very bad dirt roads. Add in high passes at 3 to 4km above sea level, you can factor in AMS. Once in Lhasa, provided you managed all the obstacles, you will the unenviable task of returning by the same roads!

My advice would be to put Tibet on the backburner for a coule of years - until the political situation improves and China loosens up a bit. In the meantime there's India with its endless possibilities. You can also have a look at China's north western regions (thats what I will be looking at anyways) - Taklaman Deserts, its borders with the Stans and the Silk route.
great info! any plans to do tibet anytime soon?

heard from a friend who just went to tibet, that the roads are damm fantastic there

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Superb stuff. What camera equipment did you use to get these great shots??? Excellent....

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
FB666Y,

Great shots and report. Nice one.

Have you guys checked out the Himalayan Roadrunners. Rob's been doing tours up there for many years on Enfileds, including the worlds highest motorable pass at over 18,000 ft. Some real adventures there. Must be a great country to tour.