How to transport your bike with you on Thai roads

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi friends,

My issue today is how to transport bikes along when travelling on Thai road.

After acquiring my second hand SUZUKI DRZ 400 S, I had the unpleasant surprise (in fact it should not have been a surprise) that the bike, as too long, could not fit at the rear of my TOYOTA Hi-Lux TIger four doors 4wd pick-up car...

Even if with an appropriate ramp (I bought at DIRT SHOP in BKK) it is easy to load with the engine on in first gear and unload with an engaged gear, the bike is too long (I try it on an other car TOYOTA Hilux 2 doors and it fits).

Thus I am hardly thinking about- going to see Josef in Udon to aquire a trailor but before that i would like to ask you if any of you has experiments with what we know in France as a MOTOTRACK, a kind of big U in tube in which you fix and lift the bike front wheel and which trows the bike runing on the rear wheel or other solutions which could be helpful

In France this si very popular for light bikes, and for long distanceswe use to disassemble the chain.

What about Thailand, what would you think about Thai Autorities reaction, open question ???

Thanks by advance for your comments and advises.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Depending on how many Miles you want to do i would save your Money.
You have a Few Options to Fit it on your Pick-Up which May work.
Depending on the Distance just leave the Tail Gate down? You may not get away with this in Bangkok but no problem up here?
P7160331.jpg

I saw this in Mae Hong Son last time i was there, I would suggest leaving the Front Wheel Up?
IMGP0689.jpg

This is how i Carry our Spare Bike on Tour. Remove the Front Wheel and it Fit's in. Not Sure if it works on the Toyota?
For Trailers best to contact Tropical John as he is the Resident Expert on them! Good Luck.
Cheers Ian.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
You beat me to it T.J. I also transported my TDM850 from BKK the same way. I was told when leaving BKK with the TDM that I may have problems with the police, but I never did. I cannot see anyone (outside of BKK) giving you a hassle after some of the loads one sees carried by the Thai's in their trucks.

I also found that if I can find a driveway or small hill, I just backup to it with the tailgate and drive on and off.

AT%20truck.jpg

Same way we loaded Davidfl's Africa Twin when we brought it back from Laos.

quote:

a kind of big U in tube in which you fix and lift the bike front wheel and which trows the bike runing on the rear wheel.

I am familiar with this set up, but there was always a debate as to whether you should disconnect the chain, excessive wear on the gearbox, etc.

Oct 17, 2006
I can get any bike I want into my car if i dismantle it into 50 bits,,,,,, DOH!

lucky my bikes fit into the back of my wifes pickup.

jerry

Jun 21, 2006
Mike

When I was in the States, Ford did an anniversary Harley pick up edition, which had a similar set up in the back

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

The police barbershop quartet's favorite song is "Donuts make my brown eyes blue."

You get SilverEagle all fired up with topics (sic) like Donuts actually spelt doughnuts

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

Mike

When I was in the States, Ford did an anniversary Harley pick up edition, which had a similar set up in the back

Eh Voila

ttn_acc_med_sliding_extender.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

You get SilverEagle all fired up with topics (sic) like Donuts actually spelt doughnuts

Donuts.jpg

dough•nut [d#7763; nùt]
(plural dough•nuts) or do•nut [d#7763; nùt] (plural do•nuts)
n
1. FOOD round cake with hole or filling: a small sugar-coated cake of sweet dough, fried or baked, and either spherical with a filling of cream or jam, or ring-shaped with no filling
2. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING ring-shaped object: an object in the shape of an inflated ring, for example, an accelerating tube in a nuclear reactor or an undersized spare tire
3. MOTOR SPORTS 360-degree turn in vehicle: a tight 360-degree turn made in a motor vehicle or motor boat

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

And in American the word is "spelled" not "spelt"!
[:)]

Jun 21, 2006
Hey guys, I just copy and paste these incredible funny slogans as I receive them.

Don't worry, they change every Monday, so not too long to wait for the next one.

Oct 17, 2006
In certain parts of the UK to be called a Donut is to called an idiot!

as in ''YOU ****ING DONUT''

jerry

pee

Mar 10, 2006
As you guys seem to start an English/American language lesson, I catch the opportunity to ask(English not being my native language)along the donut topic.
I have heard the following expression: "I don't give a flying f... on a rolling donut"(I don't care).
Does it sound strange to you, native speakers? Is this frequently used in real life?
I like savoury expressions. I think this one comes from a movie or a song.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Pee-

As the resident American Donut expert, I can't say I have heard that one before. And no, it doesn't really make sense.

[:D]From hauling motorcycles in trucks to slang definitions for donuts. I love the direction some of these topics take.

Feb 21, 2006
Hi Eric,

CopperhawkUSA is right, he probably knows more about donuts than the rest of us because oh his previous occupation - gendarme.

American culture is full of references that include cops and donuts, i,e,:

Why Do Cops Like Donuts?

http://www.boatcop.com/donuts.htm

This is a question that has plagued mankind for years. The answer is quite simple.

1. Donuts are relatively inexpensive, so they can be discarded with little guilt, in case of a hot call in the middle of a snack break.

2. In many areas, the donut shop is the only place open 24 hours.

3. Donuts have sugar and carbohydrates, which allow for quick energy. Donuts, coupled with the ever present cup of coffee, help keep the officers awake and alert.

4. Donut shops are usually located in centralized areas, which can be used as a meeting place for briefings between Officers of different agencies or shifts.

5. Donuts are TASTY! Can you think of anyone who DOESN'T like donuts?

There you have it. There is no great mystery as to why Cops and donuts go hand in hand. One word of advice. When the Police Officer asks you,
"Have you been drinking? Your eyes are red."
Don't reply, "Have you been eating donuts,? Your eyes are glazed."

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks guys for the input and the insight into US cops life... It will prevent me of looking silly while willing to be smart by using colloquial expressions coming from out of space.
I wonder what the diabetes mellitus occurance ratio is within the US police force...

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Pee,

In reality, the donut thing is fun to joke about but it is more "urban legend" than reality. In fact, divorce, depression, and suicide claim far more than diabetes or "donut" induced diseases.

Weight.jpg

But then again, there are exceptions to everything [:D]

Enough of this subject for me, let's get back on topic[?]

Oct 17, 2006
The English version of you FXXXing donut is because donuts have a big hole in the middle just like a brain.... a big empty hole!

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

I must thank you all for your very interesting and wise posts, thanks again, it will save me money and help me by their creativity.

After having think to it, even after having think to sell my 4 years old 3.0 G-Limited Auto 4WD 4 doors Hilux Sport Cruiser TOYOTA Pick-up in order to change it for a 2 doors Hilux Vigo TOYOTA (only 470.000 TBH) I think the best solution would be the MIKERUST's one, even if it is not so "authorised"...

In fact, what would it cost is catch by Authorities ? Would you really think they will create big troubles for it if everything else is in good legal order ?

I leave in Bangkok and take the highway to escape this huggly megapolis and then enjoy on the wonderfull Thai roads to go up in the country...

I think to ask to an ironman to realise this accessory for me according to the picture, easy, and then I will add direction lights on sides as well as rear light + stop light in the rear middle to signal the lengh extension.

What do you think then, do I miss something ? What would I risk then ? Does someone formally say it's very risky with the Authorities ?

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Make sure you always have a bag of donuts in the pick-up... Could help to smooth the Authorities

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

then I will add direction lights on sides as well as rear light + stop light in the rear middle to signal the lengh extension.

I believe technically it is illegal to drive a pickup with the tailgate down. When I say technically, it is to prevent oversize loads like guys carrying 5m wood in a 2.5m truck!!but you can see them everyday here in BKK with wood or metal hanging off the back.

You don't need lights but you need little red flag thing to hang from the rear of the tailgate just like you would in Europe.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
First time back onthe board for me for a while and as normal, I like to check out the "any messages" bit first. Great advice from all above, and good tips about doughnuts too (the cakey kind is spelt like that for us Brits and "donuts" are razzing the back end of a bike around).

ANYWAY, back on track to Azoulay - mate, you live here in Thailand and for me, one of the main rasons to be here is that so long as you are not in anyone's face, nobody really gives a sh*t about how you go about your business! I would say, fit your bike into the truck with the tailgate down, stick a pole out the back a little way with something red tied on it (platic bag, rag e.t.c) and go for it (I went from Chiang Mai to Uttaradit with my XJR1200 like this). EVEN in the unlikely event that you do get busted, it's a damn sight cheaper than f#cking about buying trailers, U-tubes or whatever for what is likely to be an occassional event.....

Hells Bells......

Cheers,

Pikey.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Pikey,

In fact, I think you are 500 % right in your words, occassional event is really THE word.

By constructing and installing such back gate I was caring about other safety but you are right occasional is the issue and maybe I should not build around that.

Anyway thanks, it's amazing how it could be helpfull sometimes to receive other's opinion !!!