Hua Hin to Ubon to Pakse to Vientienne to Hua Hin

Dec 1, 2004
First thing I gotta do is figure out how to post photographs. This is a trip I've been wanting to do for a long, long time and I want to share the trip with my friends in notes and photos. Here's a poem my Momma taught me. May she R.I.P.!

It Couldn't Be Done
By Edgar Guest

Somebody said it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
At least no one has ever done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.

Dec 1, 2004
Here is a website with photographs of Jah and me. I'll probably link future photographs of trip to and through Laos to my yahoo.photo library. http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hTerms=gps

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Here is the link that explains in detail how to add photos;

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... ost,photos

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Jun 21, 2006
Hi Tom

Will try and call in to say Hi on my next trip to Bangkok, I live in Phuket, (although am currently in OZ till August) Would be good to met some members South of Bangkok

Cheers
John
Phuket/Sydney

Dec 1, 2004
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tomlahaie ... /my_photos

The above URL will show 55 photographs from the trip which was just completed yesterday the 18th of July. Once I know you all can get photo access I will write a commentary. It was a fabulous trip with only a few minor problems ... such as 2 1/2 hours to get motosike into country of Laos at Chong Mek and hitting a fresh and very BIG batch of buffalo sh_t hidden in the shadows of a tree covered road.

Dec 1, 2004
So she says to me after I hit the sh_t on the blacktop at about 80 kph "You sh_t your pants!" And then it was time for an English lesson while I pitched the sh_tty pants and scrubbed off the shoes in a roadside reservoir. I says to her and also says for her to repeat to me..."The buffalo sh_t my pants!"

Couldn't get the motosike on the train at Ayutthya after riding from Hua Hin to Nakorn Pathom and staying the night at the Whale Hotel which is the best deal in that town.

So then pressed on the Ayutthya and after witnessing some incompetence pressed on to Saraburi and stayed at Saraburi Inn which is best deal in that town.

Next day we toured 70 k. through Khao Yai National Park on good roads and kept on going to Korat where we stayed 'gratis' with breakfast courtesy of my sweetie's former employer. Korat Hotel is clean and has good Vietnam styled fried eggs and veggies in a hot pan for breakfast.

Then we went to Surin and stayed at Majestic Grand...new hotel with pool and fabulously delicious food at adjoining restaurant...800 baht for room complete with UBC and a bathtubby for relaxing a tired body.

Finally rain caught up with us and we took the choo choo with motosike as freight on to Ubon and when rain stopped we went to Chong Mek, another 80 k. and went through the red tape to get the bike into Laos. Then another 40 k. to remodeled and good deal Pakse Hotel with its panoramic view of the Mekong.

Ride across the Japaidfor Bridge across the Mekong was fun. Good bridge and I look forward to going over the one from Mukdahan to Savannakhet when it is finished in the near future. Also predict that the one across the Mekong ten k. south of Chiang Kong to Ban Houi Sai in Laos will be done by year 2010.

Next day we saw some waterfalls on rivers that empty into the Mekong. The photos of me with the three pretty little Lao girls was taken at a riverside resort.

Then it was on to the Cambodian Border 160 k. to south on Route 13 and it was like riding in motosike heaven with no cars, no trucks, few people BUT we had to be careful about buffalosh_t, cows, turkeys, baby pigs, goats-goats-goats, ducks etc. etc. etc.

The biggest falls are easy to get to off Route 13. Then we went back a few k. and crossed over to Khong Island on the blue raft ferry tug boat.

Had great accomodations on island at Khang Villa for $5.00 a night and enjoyed some good food at restaurants. Next day we went down river to two southern islands to see magnificent and totally awesome waterfalls near the French railroad bridge that connects two islands.
Then it was back to Pakse the next day for one more night at the Pakse Hotel.

The next morning we drove to Ubon (with sh_t detour!) and stayed at Tongsan Resort Hotel with great breakfast including omelette with garlic included. Following day we took the choo choo to Bangkok stayed over night and returned to Hua Hin the next day.

Wonderful trip with many great memories. I will always remember the courteous and Sabai Dee Lao people. We didn't get ripped off at all. It helps to be patient and to negotiate in Thai language which all Laos know thanks to Thai channels 3,5,7,9,11, and iTV.

The roads in Laos are good and easy to ride with care taken not to run over any of the many roadside animals. My Sweetie really enjoyed the trip and is anticipating another great trip from Hau Hin to Nong Khai and by motosike to Luang Prabang in November.

Also bought another Jason and Dave Laos map...the second one has city map of Pakse included. Great Map! Use the map by J. and Dave and you will save, save, save! 200 baht is cheap price for good tool.

Yah hey, what the heck, enough for now. Oh yeh. I did have my worldspace satellite radio which I listened to a lot including with helmet on on the train to deflect the incoming wind.