Huai Hong Khai Mae On Loop

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Route 1317,5110,5115,3005,1230,1229,1006, no-number
Distance - 180 kms

I looked at my Gps map and saw some spots of water in the Mae On area and wanted to find a few roads to ride to them.

I also wanted to make up for the lack of photo's of the D-Tracker in my last post, so I needed a nice back drop or 2.

I rode out of town on the 1317 until I reached Ban Sahakon where I saw the sign post to the cave on the left and remembered a friend telling me she wanted to go there but her hubby wouldn't, as it was a difficult walk. 'No worries' I though, lets see what the fuss is al about.

DSC_8970.jpg

DSC_8975.jpg

Today was hot and my head was already spinning from the late morning sun & seeing this first flight of steps, I told the ticket kiosk lady I would be back another day!

DSC_8976.jpg

DSC_8978.jpg

Back down to the 1317 I turned left & on past the 4021 turning to the Hot Springs and also out past the Highland Golf Course until I reached this junction where I turned left.

DSC_8980.jpg

This is the 5110 and I rode up it's length until I reached the Sahakon 3 Reservoir.

DSC_8984.jpg

DSC_8988.jpg

DSC_8989.jpg

I retraced my steps back to the start of the village and turned right onto the 5115 and rode up towards Huai Hong Khai 7 Reservoir. But along the way I found another drop of water, Sahakon Reservoir.

DSC_8995.jpg

DSC_8999.jpg

DSC_9001.jpg

DSC_9004.jpg

DSC_9006.jpg

DSC_9008.jpg

Back down to the 5115 I ride lovely forest roads and then the sound of machinery to my right becomes deafening. Through the trees I could see a massive quarrying excavation project raising dust and all that noise.

DSC_9017.jpg

At the end of the road I came to a T junction and was verbally stopped by one of the 7 Dwarfs, who I had obviously just woken from a bad dream. No way was he letting me turn right, 'Mai Bai!' So I turned left.

DSC_9022.jpg

DSC_9023.jpg

This road is gravel, the same as the content of the lorries trundling away from the noisey quarry.

At the tree in the middle of the road I turned right and this road I followed until I reached the Huai Hong Khai Study Centre boundary and after a chat with a more friendly security guard, entered the school area and found a restaurant for a spot of lunch.

DSC_9024.jpg

DSC_9028.jpg

DSC_9029.jpg

DSC_9031.jpg

Kaow Neow Hohmok & the essential Gratium & Prik! Aroy mak.

DSC_9034.jpg

After lunch I exited through the barrier again and turned right and along the face of the reservoir dam.

DSC_9039.jpg

DSC_9042.jpg

As my Gps map doesn't show any road from here to the nearby smaller Huai Ka Reservoir, I rode a loop around to the south west and ended back at the tree in the middle of the road.

DSC_9045.jpg

DSC_9047.jpg

I entered the school road again and after short distance there is another guard hut with a barrier and this time I thought I wouldn't tempt fate & stop for a photo, I would ride up to it, turn right and try to reach the road Mr Grumpy refused me to ride.

Nice track this one, eventually comes to the Study Centre tarmac and this road I follow all the way to the Study Centre car park & Huai Hong Khai 2 Reservoir.

DSC_9048.jpg

DSC_9049.jpg

DSC_9050.jpg

DSC_9054.jpg

DSC_9056.jpg

DSC_9062.jpg

DSC_9064.jpg

DSC_9065.jpg

DSC_9067.jpg

DSC_9068.jpg

The mini zoo was quiet but the presentation going on at the centre echoed across the dam drowning out the peace you would assume from the photo's.

I rode further up this Study Centre road, as if I were heading for the 118 but turned right at the crest of the hill, where there is another large piece of water and a sign advertising 'School for Life'.

DSC_9070.jpg

DSC_9071.jpg

I took this road and followed it from tarmac onto soil and stayed with the signs, now directing towards 'Children's Shelter Home Union'. But then it becomes a 'Children's Shelter Foundation' Maybe there are 3 or have they changed their name or as the sign suggests, have they united?

DSC_9075.jpg

DSC_9077.jpg

DSC_9078.jpg

DSC_9079.jpg

DSC_9080.jpg

DSC_9081.jpg

DSC_9082.jpg

DSC_9083.jpg

At the end of this red soil track I come to a tarmac T junction and I take a right and towards the 3005.

DSC_9086.jpg

DSC_9087.jpg

When I smell the eggs I know I have reached the 3005 and a I turn right and after a short distance stop at 196 Coffee Corner, to chat with Khun Chae and his dear wife, who serve delicious coffee and they show me their garden which they are very proud of and we talk about the cost of living and places we know in England.

DSC_9089.jpg

DSC_9090.jpg

DSC_9091.jpg

DSC_9101.jpg

Further on down the 3005 at Huai Kaeo where the road changes to 1317, I take a left onto the 1230.

DSC_9102.jpg

What a brilliant route this is. I had seen other reports about the scenery up here and the condition of the road but when I rode it I just felt I wanted to do it again.

DSC_9104.jpg

DSC_9105.jpg

DSC_9111.jpg

This pic is for Colin - (Don't stop laughing, it keeps you young!)
DSC_9116.jpg

At the 'View Point' there were no beer bottles this time and it's a good view of Mae On.

DSC_9118.jpg

DSC_9120.jpg

DSC_9122.jpg

DSC_9126.jpg

Along the way I note waterfalls and side roads and even took a couple of side trips to places that are not on my Gps maps. Yet again, more rides in the back pocket for another day.

Eventually I reach the junction of 1229 and I take that right turn to ride up over the top and back into Mae On & join the 1006 & then 1317 again back into town.

DSC_9131.jpg

A fabulous ride, not a fast whizz-bang route but adventurous and pleasant.

Ally

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ally
That's an amazing trip on an amazing network of roads eh?
I always get confused riding in the Huay Hong Khrai area, but you might have "mastered" it.

stop at 196 Coffee Corner, to chat with Khun Chae and his dear wife, who serve delicious coffee and they show me their garden which they are very proud of and we talk about the cost of living and places we know in England.
I don't know anything about 196 Coffee Corner, so is there anymore to know about the place & owners?

If you've got some GPS tracks & waypoints that aren't on your map you could send them to me or Auke & I can include them on any future map updates, if you like.

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling. I'm still waiting for my new passport to come before I can head off to Laos, so am enjoying any trip reports right now.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Yep a right mixture and very enjoyable.

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/chae-son-national-park-t4886.htm is the first time I visited the 196 Coffee Corner. The next time I went, I was shown the family album. This time it was a tour of the garden.

A friendly couple that make a point of making everyone welcome.

My O2 phone & Gps10 unit are giving me headaches now with battery life and loss of connection between the 2 and today they dropped out too many times for a complete track. I have a CSX on the way over with Big & Tall, after an Ebay steal in the states, in a weeks time, so then I will be happy to give you complete data, rather than the crap I get now.

Glad to be filling in some holes that the Slashmonster has left us !!

Ally

Nov 2, 2008
Nice backgrounds for your D-Tracker Ally!

Love the Sankamphaeng loop as a quick blast, next time have to make more time for the coffee corner and the fishing ponds.

Best Regards,
Kevin

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Colin, as always you served as the inspiration for this one, yes there are some great rides throughout the area, Chiang Mai is not just rice fields and main roads.

Kevin I was trying hard to fit the bike in every shot but failed !! :wink:

I guess there will always be next time :twisted:

How is your seat (if you don't mind me asking) settling in ?

Ally

Nov 2, 2008
Ran out today looking for the Coffee Corner for a couple hour break; but the heat got to me today requiring a few stops for fruit smoothies. How can you pass up the blender when it's this hot? Was happily lost, but didn’t find the shop today. The seat is softening up nicely; think it will end up having a permanent groove.

Since you had a wizz-bang ride, I'd guess your weren't on the bottle for this one? :lol:

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Smoothies ooo...errr I'm salivating already!

Nope the Air Maid & Slashers Air Hawk were at home. Colin, I gave the cushion cover a spring clean, don't fret, no damage done. I have also lightly powdered the inner, as one should do with latex & keep it away from sunlight to preserve its longevity.

Ally

Feb 2, 2009
Nice out that way Ally

That is my back yard and still enjoyable every time I go.

The D Tracker is more suitable than my machine, maybe in the future

I will get one and have more fun, anyway keep up with the photos

I always look forward to seeing them.

Dan....