Hydration Packs

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
What are you using?

I'm in the market for one due to the old kidney stone scare.

I'll pick up a bicycle one before I leave on Wed, but I'm still researching on the web for something suitable.
Most of the ones I see are for cyclists with add on pockets / storage space. I personally dont want any of the add-ones, just a nice compact strap on water carrier basically.
2 litre capacity should be about right.

I’ve narrowed my selections down to three

1. Camelbak Classic
675858689_K5khC-S.jpg

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati ... assic.aspx

2. Deuter HYdro Lite 2.0
675858673_2wPCb-Th.jpg

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... tert=hydro

3. High Sierra Wave 70
675859823_tMf8G-Th.jpg

http://www.highsierrasport.com/Item?num ... 01&lang=en

Which one would get your vote, or what else would you suggest?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Davidfl wrote: What are you using?

3. High Sierra Wave 70
675859823_tMf8G-Th.jpg

http://www.highsierrasport.com/Item?num ... 01&lang=en

Which one would get your vote, or what else would you suggest?
I would go to this as it's specks
Features:

Main compartment holds a 2-liter water reservoir.
Easy-access reservoir opening is easy to fill and accepts most brands of water filters.
Hands-free reservoir pressure valve.
Zippered front accessory pocket holds smaller items such as keys, a wallet, or a cell phone.
Insulated water tube cover prevents water from freezing in the tube.This future is very usefull in thailand..LOL
Vapel mesh Airflow padded back wicks moisture.
Vapel mesh Airflow adjustable shoulder straps.

Reflective loop holds a bike LED blinker

also price tag is better than others

Nov 2, 2008
Avoid ones in dark colors, which will get the water surprisingly close to boiling in intense sun. Also watch the quality of the bite valves, many leak after a little use and straight bite valves like that High Sierras won't fit in a full face Helmut. Of the couple of had, the packs with minimal backpack space keep water only tepid by providing extra insulation.

Whereas the leaks used to drive me crazy, here that would just provide additional cooling. Ah, good times absently chewing those water lines to smithereens on long rides........

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
I use the Camelbak trailblazer

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreati ... lazer.aspx

Not too hefty and some useful pockets. Handy for an overnight stop. When I fill it, I put in a bit more than a litre of water then fill the remaining space with ice cubes - remains cold pretty much all day.

Good point from Kev about the bite valve - easy with an MX helmet but you may have probs with your Arai, depending on how close the chinbar is.

Just my 50 satangs......

Cheers,

Pikey.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi David, Hi Friends,

Personnally I choosed the Camel Back Classic with the big opening and possibility to change valve.

It's a very affordable model, easy to clean (allowing me to fill it with something else than water -e.g. Ricard :D -), the inner pouch is strong and of a good quality.

Its dimensions allow you to put it under a jacket or in an other back pack when needed.

I think with this you touch a critical point as hydratation is a key issue for a good trip in LOS, essential for a rider...

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
hi david.

Posting from my phone so I can't go to all your links.

Remembering that I came to motorbikes from a cycling background, I would choose one that seals by folding the top of the bladder. That way, when you aren't using it you can put the cardboard tube from an empty glad wrap or paper towel into it to allow air to get in and really dry it out. It is important to empty it every day (including the drinking tube) after use or it will go slimmy very quickly.

Sep 4, 2007
Hi David,
Have very good experience of Camelbak products over many years walking in the UK. Good long life. Still have my Camelbak Transalp rucksak, Uk bought over 10 years ago and still looking good.
I see many such branded products on sale here from Lowe, etc , but fear that they are cheap copies.
Of course in the UK I did regularly have to worry about the water in the tube freezing, but never considered the overheating effects of too much sun.
Personally in very hot conditions, I like to stop after say 100km and have a friendly drink bought from the roadside, I appreciate that may be more difficult on some of your more remote journeys.
Just an added thought. Some people make up all sorts of concoctions to go in these packs. I find that leads to trouble, because as Daewoo says you must clean and dry, thats why you need a good size opening to get tissue or similar inside. However if you just use filtered or good quality water and no additives you have a lot less problems with unwanted growths inside. (The hydration pack that is)

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
daewoo wrote: hi david.

Posting from my phone so I can't go to all your links.

Remembering that I came to motorbikes from a cycling background, I would choose one that seals by folding the top of the bladder. That way, when you aren't using it you can put the cardboard tube from an empty glad wrap or paper towel into it to allow air to get in and really dry it out. It is important to empty it every day (including the drinking tube) after use or it will go slimmy very quickly.
A tip from Barry BBQ that I'm happy to pass on: keep the bladder in the fridge with some water in it - no bacteria, fungus, algae or slime. To clean thoroughly, use the liquid baby bottle wash available in Tescos e.t.c & rinse with bottled water.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Aug 31, 2005
Dave,
I use a Black Wolf that holds 2lt. Plus i can fit a six pack in the pack when needed.

This is it
fox_01_med.jpg

Camelbacs are about twice the price of most others here in Oz but they seem to be the preferred brand if you can afford them. They're the only ones i've seen that have spare parts on the shelf.

These are the things i would look for.
Mouth piece with a 90degree bend so you can get it in your mouth with a helmet on. mine didnt have this and I replaced it with a camelbac mouth piece.
Large opening of some sort. I think they call the big openings a frog mouth. The black wolf has this. I store it with the bladder empty and upsidedown with a water bottle shoved inside to keep the air circulating etc. Mould is a big problem.

I had a jacket with a built in hydro bladder. This was crap as the bladder was attached to the jacket at the neck and it felt like being strangled as the weight of the bladder pulled the jacket down at the back. Only used it once..

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
These devices are used daily in Iraq and Afghanastan by U.S. Soilders. They must help. Good idea.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Found ONE

678160824_SLHCY-M.jpg

Cost 1,700 baht in Top Gear on Chang Moi road. The only one they had. Chiang Mai M-X had one that was sold. A bicycle shop had one Chinesee looking one for 1,200 baht. So the CamelBAk "Siren"? is the winner for the this post kidney stone trip to Vte & the time being.

But to be honest is it really necessary? I need to stop for fuel every 250-300 kms for fuel = 2-3 hrs. So can top up with fluid in an aircon 7-11 at a PTT gas station. I can understand dirt riders out in the bush needing one, but road riders should be able to stop & drink anywhere?
:eek: My guess is I will use it for this trip & it will go back on the wall afterwards.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I stop- a lot more then that sight seeing, getting a look at what you have already seen David. But. I always carry water in the bags. Have the Cool vest and my drink I would say that's enough. But I think it depends on the rider. So for some might be just the ticket.

Mar 21, 2007
Hi David ,
on the trip down....I was going through at least 2 litres whilst riding aswell as a drink at stops for fuel....you'll be amazed how much better you feel keeping the water up...stopped every 250-300km too...

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi David, Hi Friends,

Perfect and maybe you won't need the one from Irak and Afganistan, I think you don't intend to go there pretty soon and LOS doesn't look like there as well...So good choice !

A key point in the choice of such bag is the big size of the pouch opening for cleaning and filing reasons. These pouches keep easily a strange smell after storing, even in fridge.

Anyway, drinking (mostly water) is a key issue to keep in good health with such climate.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I bet they are available in Army surplus stores in the states, that normally saves some money, don't know about here. But, with the back I have to stop anyway.

I've been thinking about one of these you can find one that fits in the bags and keeps everyhting nice and cool. Long trips I won't have the room.

They are also manufactoring a cool vest that won't get you wet, that doesn't bother me but it would some.

http://www.fridge-to-go.com/

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Captain_Slash wrote: Im the same as Ray, I carry cold water in my panniers and keep stopping for a drink and buying fresh cold bottles from 7-11s, once water gets warm its disgusting to drink and gets thrown away
i have to give my 5 satang opinion of this... :lol:

I do agree that warm water is not very nice to drink, but looking from Firefighter point of view(my back round), drinking warm water regulary makes your body sweat LESS in high temperature climate.(It's not effect instantly, this is done by drinking warm water in regular basis and loneger period of this)

Drinking ice cold water is actually not good for hihg temperature body as it give kind of "chock" effect to one heart and make body sweat way more.

I do agree that ice cold water give one "temporally" cooling effect with side effect of seating way more than person who is drinking warm water.

Aug 7, 2003
Got about 8 different ones and always end up using the Camel Back. I find off road if you take little sips all day you never have to guzzle a bottle at the stops. Keeps the fluid levels up all the time, and I end up surviving on less water. A couple of spoons of baking Soda in some water is enough for cleaning the bladder, make sure it is dry stored. not wet. If going bush put a small tie wrap or some thin wire around the bite valve to hold it onto the tube. Hard to find a spare when it falls off.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Captain_Slash wrote: Thats interesting to know Marco, so it sounds like cold water definitely tastes nicer but warm water does the job better
Colin

that is what all professional firefighers that i know uses,, they do drink ice cold water time to time, but basically they body is use to drink warm water as that is reduce of sweating what is killer inside the firesuite.
also especially when you are already boiling hot, should not drink ice cold water, it's good to have atleas 1st bottle of warm water and do not drink that in one's, take mouth fulls and let it "melt" in your mouth before swallowing, it's only take few sec.but in the end of the day it make your body handdle the hot climate better.

it's more or less the same in the hydration packs,, it's not ice cold for long time, it will warm up and as mentioned by harri, take small sips now and then fluid lever stay stable and end of the day one consumes less water and less water means less "bush" stops,,,

but if i may just add small thing from medical point,,every ones body is good indicator also when one drinks too little of water or Non Alcohilic based fluid,, ne urine turns to very yellow,, then fluid level in the body is very low....

JB2112

Nov 3, 2011
I just purchased this one for 750 baht at Helmet 2 Home in Chiang Mai. He had 4 in stock.

278175=10220-P1010999.jpg

278175=10221-P1020002.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A new set up on my Suzuki Vstrom 650
1. A Gears Handlebar Pouch
24-4-2016-15-52-35-img_6920-jpg.jpg

2. a 3 litre Camel Bak hydration bladder
24-4-2016-15-53-55-img_6923-jpg.jpg

24-4-2016-15-52-56-img_6921-jpg.jpg

Works a treat for me - no hot sweaty packs on your back.
Where I got my Camel Bak
DSC_0832B-1.jpg

Packs Etc at Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre Chiang Mai

Check it & them out. & for me an easy solution to riding in this year's blistering heat.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
I modified my armadillo backprotector so that my camelbak bladder fits into it.
It keeps things less bulky and works great. Will try to get some photos of it very soon and update.
I really like having it incorporated like this. Works really well.