Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by dirthonk, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. dirthonk

    dirthonk Ol'Timer

    hi everyone, i have never known anyone that has been checked for an international driving permit whilst riding in north thailand, anyhow i am in england at the moment and was wondering whether it was worth getting one while i am here as i will be back in thailand in september . has anyone ever been required to show one to the police or is it really not necessary at all...thanks luke.
  2. DavidFL

    DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

    Never been asked for an International Driving Licence, but have been asked for a driving licence. As long as you've got something it is not a problem & you're not open to abuse / touch ups.
    If it's not too much trouble or cost, get one while you are there. It might come in handy some day.

    Keep The Power On
  3. dirthonk

    dirthonk Ol'Timer

    thanks david, it only costs 7 uk pounds so ill get one while i am here.
  4. Craypot

    Craypot Ol'Timer

    7 pounds is a bargain. $75 last time i got one in Aus. I had to show it in Pattaya when I was driving my Lao reg car over a year ago but not since. I'm pretty sure the cop was after a little payola but since I had everything (license, Thai insurance, import permit blah blah) he gave up.
    BTW, Any ASEAN license is supposed to be good in any other ASEAN country.
    Oh and the highway patrol around Udon Thani are using speed cameras, speed limit on highway 2 is 90km/h i think, but they seem relaxed about anything up to 120.

  5. Peter Hooper

    Peter Hooper Ol'Timer

    Mike, you should check out sourcing of your IDP.
    I am now on my 3rd annual one, the first two cost me AUD15 and the last one in May 06 cost AUD20.00. I get them at the RACQ shop at the local shopping Mall. Just front up with your normal licence and a photo and they should issue it. NSW & VIC may be more expensive but I wouldn't expect that much difference fo the privilege of living south of the border.
    Cheers, Peter

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  6. Peter Hooper

    Peter Hooper Ol'Timer

    P.S. THe only time I have had to show it was going into Malaysia at Sadao. Peter

    "The Journey is the Destination"
  7. tropicaljohno

    tropicaljohno Ol'Timer

    I took the trouble to get a Thai Licence, and when stopped, especially near the Laos borders around Ubon, etc. the autorities, (police and security check points), are always impressed when I show them my licence. I decided seeing i have bike/car registered in my name, makes sense to get Thai licence in my name, just 1 less hasssel to wory about.

    Cheers John
  8. Craypot

    Craypot Ol'Timer

    I got mine from NRMA in Canberra. A rip off, just like the organisation.

  9. dirthonk

    dirthonk Ol'Timer

    got it! just a fiver at the post office with a passport and driving license.. and just to justify its purchase on my first day back riding here in chiang mai i was pulled over by the police on mahidol road and asked for ....yep an international driving license. maybe this is something they are starting to become more stict on? anyway they didnt seem to care that my bike had no registration plate or tax just seemed intertrested in the drving license and the retail value of the bike! funny bunch..
  10. Pikey

    Pikey www.tbbtours.com

    Luke, welcome back to town! Dunno if you have already popped into the Jai-Yen but if so, you will have noticed that me & Kat no longer run the place. Will bring you up to date when I see you - hopefully at the next MotoGP which is the Portuguese round on 15/10. Keep an eye on this board but it will prob be at the U.N Irish Pub on Ratchavidi and I think the program will start about 4pm (check it though).



    No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!

Share This Page