Ideas/recommendations For Touring The Philippines On A Small Bike

Greg Joyner

Sep 24, 2018
Hey Guys,

I’m planning to go to the Philippines to escape the smoky season next year. Thinking sometime between Feb 7th and May 7th, with dates flexible.

The loose plan is this: Fly to Cebu and buy a small motorbike or scooter, probably a 125-250 cc bike. Ride around for anywhere from 4-11 weeks, checking out the different islands and meeting the locals and then sell the bike at the end of the tour. I have checked into renting a bike and they don’t want to allow the bike to be taken from one island to another so renting is not an option for this trip. I did this kind of a trip in Vietnam, from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, and it was a blast. It was very easy to buy the bike in Ho Chi Minh and then sell it in Hanoi. But, after doing some Google searches, I have not seen the same kind of info on doing this trip in the Philippines.

Now, I’m aware that there are organized tours in which they take people on much larger bikes around specialized parts of the country. But that’s not what I am looking to do. This is to be a relaxed journey with much more emphasis on getting to know the culture and taking time to see the scenery of the islands.

So….. the point of this post is that I’m looking for advice/recommendations from people who have done this kind of a tour before, or if anyone is interested in coming along on the trip, I’m happy to have fellow travelers. I’m sure that there are more details to add to this post but hopefully this will get a discussion started.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.