Importing a bike in parts ?

M71

May 25, 2007
Bringing an enduro bike into Thailand in parts - I was told it's best to declare the engine and frame at least as they are numbered. Customs fee will be about 5,000baht and they will give me the import papers for the motor and frame?

Has anyone else done this - advice anyone ?

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2006
they have to be imported seperately by different people and to different company addresses and at different times or customs will want full taxes and duties not the spares rate.

M71

May 25, 2007
Thanks guys - the bike is a 200cc 2 stroke so light enough - even the frame will fit a decent size suit case.

Was going to get mates to bring pieces with them in their bags as they come for visits. Everything arrives here at no cost.

But - was informed last week that bringing in mechanical parts with numbers on them such as engine cases and frames is illegal - must be declared at customs and they will issue papers for that part including the numbers. That part is then legal here ??

Don't want the guy who is carrying the engines cases to get pulled over and put through the ringer at customs of course.

Am I on the right track ?

shadow

Jun 27, 2007
Having friends bring them in would be the only way for it to be cheaper. As the "fees" related to importing will soon add up to more than the duty. The "fees" are nearly always more than the freight charge.

Do your bit for the country and pay the taxes. The reason that taxes are so high on imports is because income tax is so hard to implement most of the country operates on cash. They do not have a system of VAT, GST or such that can be implemeted either.

M71

May 25, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by shadow

Do your bit for the country and pay the taxes.

Yeah your right - I should be donating as much as possible to the "New Benz for my Mia Noi fund"

Crikey what was I thinking ! :)

M71

May 25, 2007
Thanks all for your answers - has anyone actually carried in a numbered frame or numbered engine cases ?

I'm wondering if the dung will hit the fan or not ??

Other parts seem to be no problem.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
What you have to go through to have the bike you want in Thailand . . .

Btw, wasn't there a 200cc 2-stroke for sale recently?!

M71

May 25, 2007
Mark it's me - eh? who's me? The silly bugger who high sided the RM and landed face first on the track without a lid :<

The 200 is still sitting in my brother's garage in Bris - a few planned visits were canceled so I'm still mixing scotch and soda at 10:1 instead of 95 and Elf at 40:1

Walter mentioned this stuff about the numbered parts being a potential problem. Will talk more with you about it at Nae's

M71

May 25, 2007
Mark - I always use an alias for forums - you never know who's reading them.

Could be Darth Cheney for all we know :)