Importing a bike

Rammis

Apr 11, 2003
I am planning to move to Thailand in January 2004 and I was wondering how hard and expensive it is to take my bike with me. It is a 90 Honda Shadow 1100. I have had it for 13 years and really do not want to give it up so I am hoping there is a way to take it with me with out costing more than buying a new bike when I get there.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Rammis

Feb 6, 2003
Hi Rammis
you're in the same boat as I am on all three issues: 1] moving to Thailand, 2] Want to keep my bike of 20 years, and 3] Teaching English in Chiang Mai.

My own move won't happen until late in '04 so you'll be ahead of me. I live is S.W. Missouri [excellent riding btw]. I have been over there 3 times in the past year. Why not email me from the board here - just click on my name and my profile will show up with my email address on it ok...There are some complications with regards to importing your own bike but that will take a conversation "Off-Board".

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rammis
There are some tips for bringing your own bike in at
https://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html#BRINGINGYOUROWNBIKE
if you want to take a look.
As a fellow biker, it’s easy to understand why you don’t want to leave your bike behind, but importing your own bike into Thailand is not really a very good option.
You are allowed to import your bike temporarily, for the length of your visa; but then both you and the bike have to go out of the country, at best every 3 months. Some guys have been able to this for at least 18 months, but after a while it does get to be a bit of a pain. However if you think that this won’t bother you; then ship your bike to either Singapore or KL in Malaysia, just ride it into Thailand, and see how you go doing monthly or 3-monthly visa runs.
Another option is to consider buying Rudis “Saxonator” VT1100 Shadow, which is up for sale
The Pha Daeng Mansion
This is already licenced and ready to go.
This would certainly save a lot of time and expense, you could be up and running within a few days of hitting Chiang Mai!

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Rammis

Apr 11, 2003
Thank you for your replies. I am now checking into Saxonators' Shadow VTll00 since it is already there. It would be easier and cheaper to buy one that is already there, I've found out after all my checking into the matter. Thanks again.

Rammis

LoS bound