Importing bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by thedrof, Jan 30, 2010.

1. thedrof

thedrof Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I am in the process of moving to Northern Thailand on a full time Semi retired basis. I have two BMW bikes (78 & 83). Is it possible to import them and if so, is it practical? What are the taxes/costs involved in importing older bikes?

Thanks,

Jack

2. Marco

Marco Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Matey

i think i would be better to have this in General discussion as you will get more responce n there, but genarally importing bikes to Thailand is really really hard and somwhat impossible with out getting loosing tons of money.

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +818 / 0 / -0
  4. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It will cost you about 100,000 Baht each bike at least by the time they are dismantled shipped in several consignmenmts to several different locations . imported , reconstructed and registered legally , there is a waiver taper on duty for old bikes especially if you have owned them so long but you cannot trust the Thai customs to exercise the waiver fairly so its a gamble .

You coukld end up with a big headache.

5. hs0zfe

hs0zfe Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm seconding those who say don'[t do it although my import disaster happened in California where different rules apply.

But Iwant to share a Thai biker friend's view that a bike hidden in some container among furniture and such could get registered when you grease some palms.

Forget it, it doesn't make financial sense.

I had BMWs of these years - and these are normally bikes to keep for decades :( Sad for you - but the cost and risk is just too high I'm afraid.

Take care,
    Chris