In Laos for a month with no idea where to go

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
Firstly, anyone riding here at the moment? I'm currently in Houai Xai fresh off the barge and absolutely no idea in which direction to ride.

The net's kinda pang and hard to come by so I've saved a few of the pages from the forum for tips and will read them later.

I might do a short ride down to the Golden Triangle just to get used to riding on the wrong side of the road. hehe

TIA

- Liam
08 2487 9382

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Difficult to help as I assume you had a reason why you wanted to go to Laos.

Would help if you could give a hint on what your interests are - just riding along paved or dirt roads, seeing temples, caves, waterfalls or other things. Assume you have a map for Laos but if not, you can buy the GT Rider map in Huay Xai as this will at least help you to find the right direction.

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
I came to Laos because I could and I wanted to see the country. Caves and waterfalls are ok but I've seen so many already and none beat the ones back home in Australia!
I'd rather see some beautiful views & landscapes, stay in interesting out-of-the-way places and get away from the stinky backpacker areas.

I'm on a Phantom so sealed roads are more enjoyable for me but I can deal with dirt roads as long as they're not mud pits.

Now I'm in Luang Prabang for a few days while I do some modifications and repairs to my bike. The net here seems reasonably reliable so I'll be a bit faster replying.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
You can't go wrong in Laos with beautiful views and landscapes. South of LPB on the way to Vangvieng (a backpacker hangout by the way) is known for fine views if the sky is a bit clear. Also north-east of LPB on the way to Xam Neua is OK. For this go north to Pak Mong and then head east along Rd 1C (first part asphalt and after that hardpacked dirt). At Phoulao you can turn north to Xam Neua and the caves at Viengxai or turn south to Phonsavan (Plain of Jars).

Waterfalls - there are many in the south - don't know how these compare to those you find down-under but I find them pretty impressive. Tad Lo, Tad Fane, Khone Phapeang, Khatam Tok, Tad Yuang, etc. Quite a drive though from LPB (at least 2 days).

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
It may mean back tracking a little bit, but hwy 2E is a good ride. Check this report.

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t4754.html

Once in Muang Khua you could take a boat trip with your bike down to Nong Khiew, a place Ive herd is very beautiful.
Although the road looks bad in this report, it really is a great ride.

Then head to Phonsavanon on hwy1C and then back to Luang Prabang. You could also do this in reverse too.

This I think would make a good loop.

Moto-Rex

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
Cheers for the feedback. I'm going to head for Vang Vieng tomorrow as I've been caught up with a bunch of alcoholic backpackers and floating down the river drinking booze sounds too good to miss.

Once I'm there I'll hole up again and work out where I'm going to ride to. Met a couple of Canadians on a BMW who are on their way over here - may catch up with them.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
lmacka wrote:
I'd rather see some beautiful views & landscapes, stay in interesting out-of-the-way places and get away from the stinky backpacker areas.
lmacka wrote: Cheers for the feedback. I'm going to head for Vang Vieng tomorrow as I've been caught up with a bunch of alcoholic backpackers and floating down the river drinking booze sounds too good to miss.
:shock:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Moto-Rex wrote: [quote quote=lmacka]
lmacka wrote: Cheers for the feedback. I'm going to head for Vang Vieng tomorrow as I've been caught up with a bunch of alcoholic backpackers and floating down the river drinking booze sounds too good to miss.
:shock:
Agree 100%

:shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

Credibility? :lol:

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
hahahaha

Ok so I contradicted myself there. I'll have the partying out of my system soon and then I'll get back on the road. I am on holidays after all... :D

However there are some beautiful mountains here that warrant a photo but I'm waiting for the right sky. Also, the road from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng is fan-f*cking-tastic! I have every intention of going back up that road and perhaps setting up camp somewhere for a sunrise over the mountains.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
lmacka wrote: hahahaha

Ok so I contradicted myself there. I'll have the partying out of my system soon and then I'll get back on the road. I am on holidays after all... :D

However there are some beautiful mountains here that warrant a photo but I'm waiting for the right sky. Also, the road from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng is fan-f*cking-tastic! I have every intention of going back up that road and perhaps setting up camp somewhere for a sunrise over the mountains.
Yeah it is fan-f*cking-tastic alright.
We look forward to seeing some of your photos & a bit of a trip report on GT rider "soon" then.

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
I owe you a "thank you" for telling me ever so bluntly to "just buy the bloody bike".
Best thing I've done since I decided to travel!

You may be interested in the saga I went through to get the thing in my name...
http://distantexistence.com/wp-content/ ... 6231_2.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
lmacka wrote: I owe you a "thank you" for telling me ever so bluntly to "just buy the bloody bike".
Best thing I've done since I decided to travel!

You may be interested in the saga I went through to get the thing in my name...
http://distantexistence.com/wp-content/ ... 6231_2.jpg
Great story on your site about buying the bike. Some awesome photos also. I hope you are able to get those sunrise shots near Vang Vien and post them here.