Insurance And Bmw Repairs

Jun 15, 2011
I had a small Foopah on my BMW RT some 3 months ago. Tarmac dug up and the dirt swamped halfway down a hill creating slick mud. This ended up with a rip in a fairing, broken engine guard, mirror knocked off, tail light lens with a small crack, and a pannier box with a broken mounting hook. The rest was scratches. I took it to a Thai lad in his shop whom I have used for nearly 20 years. I told him it was going to be an insurance job and not to do anything until Insurance had viewed the bike. The next day I went back and paid the 10k Baht that my 1st class insurance obliges me to pay. The next day the insurance visited the shop and then me. The insurance agent had a list of the repairs, basically as mentioned above. Two months later I am told my bike is ready.. I pick it up and ride home with a mirror gaffer taped on , a pannier box zip tied on and the engine guard still missing. The main body plastic had been repaired and the body painted. I asked about insurance he said no insurance you pay me insurance pay you. I checked with AA insurance in Hua Hin and they said do not pay, wait for insurance. I advised this to the shop. Over the next 2 weeks I received ever more unpleasant text messages. I did point out that as disappointed as he was, I was also disappointed to ride a bike home in the condition he left it plus a non working kick stand safety switch which he forgot to wire back up. He sent a very unpleasant reply telling me that nothing from insurance told him to do those other jobs and that I was taking him for an idiot. He also said Quote If you want to stay in Thailand you respect the Thai people because you will have bad karma. If you don't pay me...you better don't stay in my country unquote. I sent this to Matt at AA Insurance in Hua Hin and he repeated an offer that AA would, as a gesture of good will, pay half of the 11000 that was owing. I accepted their offer and within 24 hours this was paid and within another 24 hours the shop was paid. The insurance company NS insurance (initials) who have a shop here in Chiang Mai still have not paid anything despite constant pressure from AA insurance broker.
I had 1st class insurance but an insurance that does not pay out is no insurance at all, it was very lucky I was not injured with hospital bills to pay. My thanks to Matt at AA insurance brokers for all his help. No thanks to NS insurance,
Anyone know where to take BMW bikes to in CNX, the main dealer is out as I am told they still take parts off of customers bikes to test on other bikes as they cannot get spares. Obviously I will not be returning to this shop again.

David did say I could name in full the parties involved but I will let him do that in case any of it crosses libel laws.

Reactions: scotty007
Oct 17, 2006
AA are good

usually thai insurance companies are OK and on the ball

BMW dealers in Thailand are notorious , for lack of spares and poor workmanship its an old story

Reactions: scotty007
Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I am Surprised the Insurance Company accepting You would Take a BMW to Somchai on the Corner and let Him repair it? Should have taken it back to a Dealer or If not so Serious get it done By a Reputable place if You can't fix it Yourself? I have had Full Coverage Insurance on all My Bikes but have now decided it isn't Worth it so going to a Decent 3rd Party on each instead? I have been Fortunate enough Never to have Claimed but figure if I do Damage one I could probably Buy the Parts Overseas and get them sent here quicker Myself compared to waiting for Insurance Companies and the Dealers to Piss Around Haggling over it?
In Your Case the Bike should never have been Returned unless it was Repaired 100%, Disgusting by both the Repairer and the Insurance Company! I wouldn't have accepted it!

Jun 15, 2011
QUOTE="Ian Bungy, post: 93333, member: 647"]I am Surprised the Insurance Company accepting You would Take a BMW to Somchai on the Corner and let Him repair it? Should have taken it back to a Dealer or If not so Serious get it done By a Reputable place if You can't fix it Yourself? I have had Full Coverage Insurance on all My Bikes but have now decided it isn't Worth it so going to a Decent 3rd Party on each instead? I have been Fortunate enough Never to have Claimed but figure if I do Damage one I could probably Buy the Parts Overseas and get them sent here quicker Myself compared to waiting for Insurance Companies and the Dealers to Piss Around Haggling over it?
In Your Case the Bike should never have been Returned unless it was Repaired 100%, Disgusting by both the Repairer and the Insurance Company! I wouldn't have accepted it![/QUOTE]

Hi Ian. The only problem with leaving it there is it would only get worse. Better to bring it back and argue after. I have indeed bought in cheaper parts from overseas. No way I am taking it to the main dealer, the mechanical bits work just fine, I want to keep it that way. I can understand your changing insurance level. My first class insurance has not bought me much. Either way the silver RT wont be visiting your place again anytime soon unfortunately!

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
A real shame here. buy a top line bike, and live in fear that the dealers service department will wreck your ride. Added a CRF to the stable last year. Picked it up after 1000 km service and the chain was so tight it had maybe 2mm free play. Now I tell them to leave it alone. And always check the oil plug before I ride away. After riding out of sight !

Jun 15, 2011
I had a small Foopah on my BMW RT some 3 months ago. Tarmac dug up and the dirt swamped halfway down a hill creating slick mud. This ended up with a rip in a fairing, broken engine guard, mirror knocked off, tail light lens with a small crack, and a pannier box with a broken mounting hook. The rest was scratches. I took it to a Thai lad in his shop whom I have used for nearly 20 years. I told him it was going to be an insurance job and not to do anything until Insurance had viewed the bike. The next day I went back and paid the 10k Baht that my 1st class insurance obliges me to pay. The next day the insurance visited the shop and then me. The insurance agent had a list of the repairs, basically as mentioned above. Two months later I am told my bike is ready.. I pick it up and ride home with a mirror gaffer taped on , a pannier box zip tied on and the engine guard still missing. The main body plastic had been repaired and the body painted. I asked about insurance he said no insurance you pay me insurance pay you. I checked with AA insurance in Hua Hin and they said do not pay, wait for insurance. I advised this to the shop. Over the next 2 weeks I received ever more unpleasant text messages. I did point out that as disappointed as he was, I was also disappointed to ride a bike home in the condition he left it plus a non working kick stand safety switch which he forgot to wire back up. He sent a very unpleasant reply telling me that nothing from insurance told him to do those other jobs and that I was taking him for an idiot. He also said Quote If you want to stay in Thailand you respect the Thai people because you will have bad karma. If you don't pay me...you better don't stay in my country unquote. I sent this to Matt at AA Insurance in Hua Hin and he repeated an offer that AA would, as a gesture of good will, pay half of the 11000 that was owing. I accepted their offer and within 24 hours this was paid and within another 24 hours the shop was paid. The insurance company NS insurance (initials) who have a shop here in Chiang Mai still have not paid anything despite constant pressure from AA insurance broker.
I had 1st class insurance but an insurance that does not pay out is no insurance at all, it was very lucky I was not injured with hospital bills to pay. My thanks to Matt at AA insurance brokers for all his help. No thanks to NS insurance,
Anyone know where to take BMW bikes to in CNX, the main dealer is out as I am told they still take parts off of customers bikes to test on other bikes as they cannot get spares. Obviously I will not be returning to this shop again.

David did say I could name in full the parties involved but I will let him do that in case any of it crosses libel laws.

Still waiting for NM or Nam Seng Insurance. I advised AA this morning that I am now considering using Consumer protection laws. They then started digging again. Apparently they say that Nam Seng said that because I would get some spares on ebay they closed the case. Very nice of them seeing they still have not paid 1 Baht. It continues!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Still waiting for NM or Nam Seng Insurance. I advised AA this morning that I am now considering using Consumer protection laws. They then started digging again. Apparently they say that Nam Seng said that because I would get some spares on ebay they closed the case. Very nice of them seeing they still have not paid 1 Baht. It continues!

Oh man, its hard to believe all this is still going on.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I have changed all My Bikes to 3rd Party now. Not Worth Full Insurance and the Bullshit involved! If I am Unfortunate enough to Damage one I will just Fix It properly Myself! Spent a Fortune over the last 10 Years with Full Insurance!

Reactions: Oddvar
Jun 15, 2011
Well Ian, I am still waiting. Nam Seng finally visited last Saturday the 12th and inspected the bike. The conversation started off about the overall paiting of the bike when it was not necessary. I told them it was somewhat late coming more than 4 months after the fact to start complaining. The conversation continued in this vein until they said they had been to the shop and talked to the owner who said it was my idea to to paint the bike overall followed by more criticism of my choice of where to take the bike. I told them they had the chance to refuse the shop at the time, and as they didnt they obviously accepted it. I then showed them my text message conversation with the shop where he says it would be better to to paint the bike overall, his idea. They took photos of all my communications with the shop right down to when the threat kept coming and I did point out that was partly their fault as they have taken so long. A week on and nothing at all! With my experience of 1st class insurance from a Thai company I can only agree with you especially if Nam Seng is anything to go by.

Jun 15, 2011
Sorry to hear that! Hope You get it sorted ASAP.
Hope appears to be all thats left! Still nothing from Nam Seng. AA insurance brokers tried all last week and failed to gain any meaningful response. I have sent Nam Seng another message this morning advising that the Consumer Protection laws have to be next. So, if anyone out there has used that part of Thai law and know how to initiate contact let me know - please!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hope appears to be all thats left! Still nothing from Nam Seng. AA insurance brokers tried all last week and failed to gain any meaningful response. I have sent Nam Seng another message this morning advising that the Consumer Protection laws have to be next. So, if anyone out there has used that part of Thai law and know how to initiate contact let me know - please!

Exactly who are you dealing with at the Insurance Company - do you go into the office & talk to them or the manager?
This is all a bit strange to me.

Jun 15, 2011
Hi David
I have been sending emails to their head office. AA insurance brokers are phoning them nearly every day and have yet to receive a reasonable answer.

Jun 15, 2011
Yes they have which is where the visit 2 weeks ago came from following AA's phone calls. I could go in but prefer a record kept in writing.

Jun 15, 2011
I finally have my bike back. A couple of weeks ago I told AA that I would take it to Joes bike team, I was asked to get quotes but after all this time, I replied with no quotes, it will cost what it costs and you will get the bill. Joe phoned me in under 48 hours to say it was ready. I was a bit flummoxed after waiting the best part of 8 months that it was done so quickly. I left it with Joe so he could get it tested, taxed and insured at the testing station next door, finally getting it home last Thursday. Somewhere it has picked up a deep scratch on the right pannier. and the paint around the right exhaust is badly cracked already. Thinking back, Richy at Harley Davidson made me a couple of heat deflectors to protect the fairing some years ago. It appears the right hand one was never refitted in the first shop and a text message to the same shop has not resulted in any reply. No surprise there, so, I am hoping a sheet of 500c adhesive heat shield will be delivered shortly which will also cover the cracked paint! Obviously my bike will not be going anywhere a bike shop in Fifth Avenue again. As for Nam Seng,...nothing. No surprise there either. AA have quoted me 32k for 1st class and just over 4k for 3rd party. LMG have quoted 1800B for 3rd party, The AA quote has nearly double the payout though. So I think a bit of blackmail with AA, I accept your quote but you have to get the money from Nam Seng to pay for it as I do think they could push a bit harder.