International Transport Permit

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
David

Are you planing to ride or airlift your bike to where?

is this what you looking for, Carnet de Passages en Douane ?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I Don't know that much about it but my Friend Got a Book like a Passport for His Pickup from the Motor Vehicle office here in Chiang Mai. Only Valid for 1 year i think. Did you check them already?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Here's what the book looks like for a car.
270442991_TSS6C-M.jpg

pee

Mar 10, 2006
I went yesterday to the Land & Transport office (Chatuchak- Mo Chit). My purpose was to get a International Transport Permit for my new bike.
They told me that they don't issue ITP anymore (since january 2008).
In the past I got 2 ITP (see below how it looks like) from this very same office, without too much problem.
They required:
-Green book
-Po ro Bo
-Passport (evidence of your current visa)
However if what they told me is confirmed ITP belong to the past...

ITP.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
pee wrote: I went yesterday to the Land & Transport office (Chatuchak- Mo Chit). My purpose was to get a International Transport Permit for my new bike.
They told me that they don't issue ITP anymore (since january 2008).
In the past I got 2 ITP (see below how it looks like) from this very same office, without too much problem.
They required:
-Green book
-Po ro Bo
-Passport (evidence of your current visa)
However if what they told me is confirmed ITP belong to the past...
Yep I agree with you 100% Pee. And you must have been the guy there the day before me.

NO MORE ITP International Transport Permit for motorbikes!

Can you imagine the look on my face when I rolled up at the Land Transport office....
271922150_dBWiP-S.jpg

"fresh" off the first flight from Cnx, asking for an ITP & only to be told they don’t exist for motorbikes anymore.
Cars yes, but motorbikes NO.
I was a bit gob smacked at first.

Counter # 5 is where all the ITP action takes place....
271922102_YtwdX-S.jpg

Anyway, after a bit of semi-confused discussion, it was explained that the change occurred Dec / Jan (end of the year?) & that there is a replacement document. This is basically an English language translation of your bike rego / ownership book & is called a Vehicle Registration Certificate.....
271935607_jz6KH-L.jpg

Official notes for this are..
271922105_qPe69-S.jpg

I could not ascertain what the exact reason for the change was - a policy or law change, but I did manage to get a 7 page Thai language document explaining what &maybe why. Now for a translation.
One of the reasons I was able to get this doc was because I complained that the Customs border staff in Chiang Khong & Nong Khai knew nothing about the change & were still asking for the ITP.

I found the staff at counter # 5 friendly & helpful. There was no charge for the Vehicle ID Certificate.
My only grumble was having to wait 2 hrs for the boss to turn up & sign the document. Otherwise they claim up to 1 hr to get it normally.

If any of you guys are crossing the borders regularly, going out of Thailand, then I recommend you get a Vehicle Rego Certificate to smooth the process; as I believe you are supposed to have them & the more computerized they become at the borders, the more correct they will be in their work as they will be checked in the computer. They should be able to issue one at the place of registration of your bike. Check it out soon.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
"Vehicle Registration Certificate": that's the document they issued for me as well. There was a small fee for it: 25 Bahts.
They may have felt a bit sorry for you coming especially from Chiang Mai. As a nice symbolic gesture they didn't charge you. They are a nice bunch at the Chatuchak Department of Land Transport Office.

Thank you for asking the " 7 page Thai language document explaining what &maybe why".
The main point is that the staff at borders crossings are aware of the change and don't require the ITP anymore...

They shouldn't miss stamping bikes passports:
Administrativearcheology.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
OK maybe I am stupid, but I am somehow missing the whole point of this. It is only Thailand asking for the document, they read Thai. If I have my book with me, written in Thai, why the hell do I need an English translation?

Maybe if I am crossing a southern border and Malaysia needs it, but I surely don't see anyone needing it in the north. :roll:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
SilverhawkUSA wrote: OK maybe I am stupid, but I am somehow missing the whole point of this. It is only Thailand asking for the document, they read Thai. If I have my book with me, written in Thai, why the hell do I need an English translation?

Maybe if I am crossing a southern border and Malaysia needs it, but I surely don't see anyone needing it in the north. :roll:

Silverhawk
On my last couple of trips to / from Laos I was asked for it.
Even the super polite Miss Khao at Customs in Chiang Khong said you are supposed to have it now.
Coming back in at Nong Khai the duty officer first refused entry because I did not have one, but after discussion with his boss they said ok, but next time you MUST have one.
My guess is with the computer & the new cross border transport agreements all vehicles going & coming should have one, with the details going in the computer. No details in the computer & they get questioned later on, or maybe eventualy the program default settings will reject the entry with the incomplete details.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Davidfl wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]OK maybe I am stupid, but I am somehow missing the whole point of this. It is only Thailand asking for the document, they read Thai. If I have my book with me, written in Thai, why the hell do I need an English translation?

Silverhawk
On my last couple of trips to / from Laos I was asked for it.
Even the super polite Miss Khao at Customs in Chiang Khong said you are supposed to have it now.
Coming back in at Nong Khai the duty officer first refused entry because I did not have one, but after discussion with his boss they said ok, but next time you MUST have one. ( ONE WHAT?)
My guess is with the computer & the new cross border transport agreements all vehicles going & coming should have one, with the details going in the computer. No details in the computer & they get questioned later on, or maybe eventualy the program default settings will reject the entry with the incomplete details.

They asked for the ITP. I was asked for it when I crossed back in at Nong Khai, but fortunately one of the ladies there informed the guy asking that it is not necessary for motorcycles. Apparently your new info is no more ITP necessary for motorcycle. Case closed in my opinion.

The translation only is a translation of the book, am I right? So the info is there (in the book), and in our case, already in the computer. I see no need for a translation if you have your book.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
SilverhawkUSA wrote: OK maybe I am stupid, but I am somehow missing the whole point of this. It is only Thailand asking for the document, they read Thai. If I have my book with me, written in Thai, why the hell do I need an English translation?

I have given up trying to understand the justification of sometimes baroque new administrative rules here (and elsewhere).
I just try to be aware of them ... and hope that all official departments (police, custom, immigration, etc) and civil servants implement the same set of rules at the same time.

Sep 29, 2007
Hi David just to let you know they are still issuing ITP's in Nakhonsawan,
I received my first ITP here a couple of weeks ago and I had no problems
leaving via the friendship bridge,

safe riding,

Madyakka :wink:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Madyakka wrote: Hi David just to let you know they are still issuing ITP's in Nakhonsawan,
I received my first ITP here a couple of weeks ago and I had no problems
leaving via the friendship bridge,

safe riding,

Madyakka :wink:
And it seems as if they are still issuing them in Chiang Mai if the rumours are true.
Weird isn't it, but perhaps the word has just NOT come through from HQs in Bkk, or they are simply waiting until their local stock of motorcycle ITPs are exhausted.
Whatever if you've got a legal registered bike & are remotely interested in riding your bike o/s, then it is a good idea to get an ITP from your local office while you can, because it does ease the process at the border & technically we are all supposed to have them when crossing the border now.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Some old history for the guys asking about the Vehicle Registration certificate.

NO more International Transport Permits, but Vehicle Registration Certificates. Valid for 12 months at a time.
Generally not asked for at the border, but if you do produce one it does make the process easier.

Last edited: