Internet Mail Order

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
BEWARE...
I just got hit for paying Customs Duty, on two items I ordered from the USA, and they were mailed via the US Postal Service - Priority Mail.
I've had many items previously sent to me via USA Priority Mail and _NEVER_ before have I had to pay any Duty!
It's well known that if you send mail using USA "Express Mail" , "Global Express Mail", or any of the international air carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc), you are practically guaranteed to have to pay Customs Duty.

After the recent and alleged Iranian bombing, in BKK, my being assessed with duty may have to due with the announcement that Customs has been ordered
to check _all_ packages sent from a _foreign_ address.

Like most Thai initiatives and new laws, which are soon forgotten or not upheld, it's likely that Customs will hopefully stop examining Priority Mail in the not to distant future

Dec 27, 2007
cdrw;277354 wrote: BEWARE...
I just got hit for paying Customs Duty, on two items I ordered from the USA, and they were mailed via the US Postal Service - Priority Mail.
I've had many items previously sent to me via USA Priority Mail and _NEVER_ before have I had to pay any Duty!
It's well known that if you send mail using USA "Express Mail" , "Global Express Mail", or any of the international air carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc), you are practically guaranteed to have to pay Customs Duty.

After the recent and alleged Iranian bombing, in BKK, my being assessed with duty may have to due with the announcement that Customs has been ordered
to check _all_ packages sent from a _foreign_ address.

Like most Thai initiatives and new laws, which are soon forgotten or not upheld, it's likely that Customs will hopefully stop examining Priority Mail in the not to distant future
It's not at all unusual to have duty assessed on parcels shipped via USPS Priority Mail. I'd say in my experience about ~50% get through without duty; usually the smaller packages. But if it's anything big I usually get charged. Doesn't really bother me to pay 30-35% duty/VAT. It's still way cheaper than buying Thai retail! Problem if you use any of the private couriers like DHL, FedEx and UPS is that the duty/vat/handling fees/service fees/storage fees/happy hour fees etc etc can often add up to as much as 100% of the declared value. That is why I avoid the private couriers- they will rob you blind!

Mar 11, 2008
If you can have the value put at 20 usd I have never been taxed on regular mail.. And no one has ever questioned the size of the box or its contents even when its quite hard to swallow a 20 value..

If you put a 0 value it seems they assess it.. and it takes ages too..

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
daewoo;231102 wrote: I use www.ridersdiscount.com at the moment, they say all international shipping is $US25, which is good value where most other stores seem to charge 1/3 or more of the purchase for International Shipping. Not 100% sure that they ship to Thailand, but website allows you to choose Thailand as a shipping address.

Cheers,
Daewoo

A big thumbs up for Riders Discount, I've used them several times in the last few weeks & it has been good fast efficient service.
I'm impressed & they will be getting a lot of my biz from now on.

Jul 28, 2008
Just ordered some bits from here https://www.evotech-performance.com/ and very straight forward. Orders are VAT free if outside the EU so about 20% off the prices you see. Shipping was very reasonable too and reviews I read of their products have been very positive. I'll update when it is delivered.

Jun 15, 2011
I have been using www.motoin.de in Germany for helmets and so far they have been very reliable. Their prices have been very competitive and include 19% which gets taken off for export. The shipping is reasonable and appears to be considerably less than most things sent from the UK. So far they have been very reliable. Took possession of a new helmet the other day, nothing to pay for customs. Is it my imagination or is customs easing off with the advent of ASEAN?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
dellboy218;288602 wrote: I have been using www.motoin.de in Germany for helmets and so far they have been very reliable. Their prices have been very competitive and include 19% which gets taken off for export. The shipping is reasonable and appears to be considerably less than most things sent from the UK. So far they have been very reliable. Took possession of a new helmet the other day, nothing to pay for customs. Is it my imagination or is customs easing off with the advent of ASEAN?
What helmet did you get & how much?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just a note to say that I think Thai Customs at the post office seem to be on the war path the last few months.
I've been hit 3 times now for duty.

Riding pants twice for 3,000 baht a pop each time.

Then the final straw this week a new handlebar pouch mail ordered from Japan with a total cost of US$47 including postage & they want 4,700 baht duty!! After a visit o the airport customs in Chiang Mai where they said the duty should be about 700-800 baht, the package has been returned to the Post Office Customs in Bangkok with a dispute claim. In a few more weeks I may get some positive news.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl;300266 wrote: Just a note to say that I think Thai Customs at the post office seem to be on the war path the last few months.
I've been hit 3 times now for duty.

Riding pants twice for 3,000 baht a pop each time.

Then the final straw this week a new handlebar pouch mail ordered from Japan with a total cost of US$47 including postage & they want 4,700 baht duty!! After a visit o the airport customs in Chiang Mai where they said the duty should be about 700-800 baht, the package has been returned to the Post Office Customs in Bangkok with a dispute claim. In a few more weeks I may get some positive news.
Victory. RE-assessed. 646 baht duty. Yeehar.
And the item

Pretty trick IMHO.
Check it out
http://rough-and-road.weblogs.jp/news/2010/09/rr9803.html

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
At least You got Your Stuff David! I Ordered US$165 of stuff from the US. Sent USPS a month ago and Never received!!! They gave Me a Tracking Number which only gives the info that it was accepted in the US and No Tracking info avalible in Thailand??? So out of Pocket and guess I have to Reorder the same again!!!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Ian Bungy;300514 wrote: At least You got Your Stuff David! I Ordered US$165 of stuff from the US. Sent USPS a month ago and Never received!!! They gave Me a Tracking Number which only gives the info that it was accepted in the US and No Tracking info avalible in Thailand??? So out of Pocket and guess I have to Reorder the same again!!!
I've had similar problems recently Ian. nothing on Tracking for 3 weeks except the US bit and then suddenly there it was, received in Thailand or something. was probably sat in Customs for 3 weeks so don't give up on it just yet. They are a Law unto themselves.
I did have a parcel go astray recently from the UK without any tracking. First time I've lost anything in a good many years. I'm blaming the Coup.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Lakota;300521 wrote: I've had similar problems recently Ian. nothing on Tracking for 3 weeks except the US bit and then suddenly there it was, received in Thailand or something. was probably sat in Customs for 3 weeks so don't give up on it just yet. They are a Law unto themselves.
I did have a parcel go astray recently from the UK without any tracking. First time I've lost anything in a good many years. I'm blaming the Coup.
I agree, once customs get hold of it delivery time can go up by weeks, then you will get a bill from P.O. Good luck. 30% on CIF is what it should be I think. With mine the value was all screwed up. 4,700 baht for a 1,500 baht item was not 30%.

In May I ordered 16 motorcycle bits for my CBRXX from e-bay, all single items, all different vendors. About 10 of them were from China, the others were Great Britain, Germany, Ukraine, and Spain. The most expensive were $175USD from the Ukraine, $110 from Spain. Got lucky I guess, didn't pay duty on a single thing. The only problem was some little carbon fiber farckles (10euro total with shipping) from Germany that have never shown up, the company said they would reship but that package has not shown up either.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Ian Bungy;300528 wrote: Hi Lakota,
It was accepted in the US by USPS on the 31st of May and No Record since? After all that Time I thought it should be here?

My Parcel went missing about the same time. Just after the Coup. Of course , I'm not thinking for one moment that someone took advantage of the Upheaval and is running around Bangkok with my Frame Sliders attached to his/her Honda Wave :shh:

Dec 4, 2012
Ian Bungy;300514 wrote: At least You got Your Stuff David! I Ordered US$165 of stuff from the US. Sent USPS a month ago and Never received!!! They gave Me a Tracking Number which only gives the info that it was accepted in the US and No Tracking info avalible in Thailand??? So out of Pocket and guess I have to Reorder the same again!!!
You may have tried this but log on to Thailand post and input tracking number. This has worked for me in similar situations.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I feel that customs may have stooped to a new low as I got hit for 7 (seven) baht duty on 2 Vstrom wheel bearing kits at post office yesterday.
I queried it - not postage under paid 7 baht? No it is customs tax..

Bloody hell they must be getting desperate. The cost of the paperwork involved will be many more times just to collect 7 baht.
I gave the P.O. 20 baht & told them to keep the change.

Reactions: Oddvar
Apr 16, 2011
I feel that customs may have stooped to a new low as I got hit for 7 (seven) baht duty on 2 Vstrom wheel bearing kits at post office yesterday.
I queried it - not postage under paid 7 baht? No it is customs tax..

Bloody hell they must be getting desperate. The cost of the paperwork involved will be many more times just to collect 7 baht.
I gave the P.O. 20 baht & told them to keep the change.

I as well get an item send from USA and the package was delivered to my house in Khon Kaen and was hit with a 7 Baht import duty, i gave the postal delivery guy 10 baht and no change was offed. I could not believe that the charge 7 Baht, Go Figure

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Couple years ago, in January, ordered some bike parts from Canada. Shipped First Class Air mail from there.
Went back for work end April - not here yet.
Returned October - there they were. No duty.