Is it too much to ask for a straight answer?

Mar 12, 2015
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to find out whether Honda have a CBR650f in stock.

I'm not sure if the guy I am dealing with at BigWing is being difficult, retarded or I simply do not understand the process.....

Surely they can tell me the waiting time (if there is one) before I reserve/order a bike?

Am I asking too much? :thumbdown:

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
No, you are not asking too much, however, you are not really the customer they look for. They look for local customers who want as much finance as possible.
They do not like cash customers..
Honda Bigwing has the same poor attitude all over Thailand, not sure about Phuket..

Mar 12, 2015
That's what I thought. I've asked the question in various different forms and still will not get a straight answer. Prior to this, they told me on the phone they have a CBR which I could test ride, arrive at the store and low and behold, no bike available to test ride.... Hence my questioning about waiting times.

This is BigWing Rama 3. I'm wondering if Ladprao store would be better option to speak too.

I'm itching to buy or place an order next weekend.

jsbkk

Dec 13, 2010
I got my cbr650 in about a month. Test rides are available but only within their premises. This was at big wing ladprao, in December.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Oddvar;305546 wrote: No, you are not asking too much, however, you are not really the customer they look for. They look for local customers who want as much finance as possible.
They do not like cash customers..
Honda Bigwing has the same poor attitude all over Thailand, not sure about Phuket..
This is something that many people don't realize. Cash payment is of no added benefit to the dealer. When a bike is financed through the dealer or whatever financial institution the dealer uses, he makes a percentage of the finance charges. When I was in the m/c business and customer would come in and say "Will you discount if I pay cash?", the answer was always "No".

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Right, happened to me, too. Funny thing was that the dealer insisted on cash only, refused a money transfer, so I had to carry a big wad of cash with me.

I understand that more money can be made by financing but would they turn a cash-paying customer away or treat him/her worse?

After all, it's a sale?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
BojoMojo;305547 wrote: I've asked the question in various different forms and still will not get a straight answer.
I'd say it's a Thai thing - I can't get a straight answer out of them half the time! But I've gotten used to it after living here for 13 years.
I remember waving a bunch of cash at a shop owner who had a row of bikes sitting outside the shop and I wanted to but the XT400 I'd set my eyes on.
He tried to tell me something in Thai but I didn't understand it. I thought money talks, here's my cash, will you take it or not?
He refused and I left, disappointed.
I couldn't find another decent enduro and some taxi driver who didn't understand me either took me to the same shop. There was the XT400, cleaned up, new tires, all the plastics were there. I talked to the owner and now he wanted my money! It was a simple matter of communication, he wanted to fix it up first.
I recommend taking a good Thai friend to Big Wing and then get the translation. Often Thais are a bit reluctant to deal with a foreigner.

Mar 12, 2015
I made it to Ladprao where the guy was a far more helpful and able/happy to answer my questions, let me take a test ride (around the 50m car park).

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I tried out the CB500F and X models in the parking lot of the Phuket Big Wing but it's difficult to really tell the difference doing figure 8s.

But you seem to know that you want the650F.

What's your choice of color?

The yellow is cool! :thumbup: Don't know if it's available in TH. Even saw a dark blue one on the 'net.

Mar 12, 2015
Hi David & KZ,

Sorry to disappoint but the plan is evolving actually. Reasons being, I always wanted a supersport, in particular an R6 after further research and finding some businesses who look like they have clean examples of import bikes (r6, GSX) I'm swaying away from the idea of the cbr650f or ninja/er6f. Two reasons for this, one, I was looking at the CBRf and Ninja as a substitute for a proper supersport bike, I was getting the impression they would be difficult to source here however it's looking far more possible than I thought. Two, after test riding the CBR and Ninja in the limited confines of the car parks, I'm not sure that I was intimidated by riding either of the bikes. I'd be a bit gutted to spend 300k on something that is not really what I wanted in the first place, getting green eyed envy when I see what I really wanted cruising past on the road somewhere! Looks like I can purchase a decent 2010/2011 R6 or GSX for 400k.

I'd be happy for you guys to give me some input into the pro's/con's of buying used import. I know making sure that tax and excise duty is paid, legal green book etc...

Also anybody have a heads up on the 'superbike center'? What they are like to deal with? Reputable? and so on.

Thanks!

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
Would you go ride her on a track? Were you planning on making long tours with that R6?

The older I get, the more important the ergonomics of a bike (starting with its handlebar - my first mod for the R6 TBH) become.

With potholes, animals crossing etc., for me a high revving crotch rocket wouldn't be my choice.