Is this a standard service when buying a new bike?

Aug 2, 2009
Hello,

I have recently bought my second new bike in Thailand. The experience has been way different than the first time. I am a bit confused whether I have been given a bad service, or this is normal. Any advice or story is appreciated.

I bought my first bike in March 2006. It was a Honda Phantom costing 84,000 baht back then. They gave me a free jacket and 3 free oil changes.

Last month in December 2009, I bought my second bike. It is a kawasaki vulcan special edition costing 475,000 baht. I was promised a free jacket and a free helmet. No discount available. No free oil checks. It was a big hassle getting the helmet and jacket. Because when I asked for it, they did only have L. And I asked for bigger size, and was showed M. I was promised when I got back, that they have it for me. So next time I got back I was told "no have free". I told the name of the person who had promised it to. And he came and gave it to me with in 5 minuttes. So far good. But why the hassle?

I went to change my motoroil. I had already driven 1000 km on my new vulcan. They had a bill for me 18xx baht. I asked what was that cosing 15xx baht, and they told me the air filter. I asked if I needed to pay that for a new bike. I mean the bike is less than 1 year old. It was already a hassle to get the free helmet and jacket, as they promised me.

Is this normal? The airfilter needs a fine of about fifteen hundred baht when the bike is so new?

I am a bit confused with this service. Because, on my honda phantom, I did not pay for visiting the place the first year. All bills were paid. And they always washed my bike for free. And here they give me a bill of 18xx baht. And my bike has not been washed.

Regards
allwind

Oct 17, 2006
Changing air filter at first 1000km service is not normal at all, changing air filter after one years heavy use is possible , as for the free jackets that was just a cock up and lack of communication probably.

Who was the dealer?.

Sep 1, 2009
monsterman wrote: Changing air filter at first 1000km service is not normal at all, changing air filter after one years heavy use is possible , as for the free jackets that was just a cock up and lack of communication probably.

Who was the dealer?.
Yes normal for Thailand im afraid, businesses run by people that dont do anything they promise once the moneys changed hands and any promises will have been forgotten when you return ,. i lost a receipt for a 1000 baht deposit at the local kawaskai dealer, was told cannot give you 1000 off the balance without this receipt,most businesses are run by gypsies here , but you get used to it :lol:

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
Customer service in Thailand is hit and miss. Charoen Motor in CM are pretty good and Kawasaki Udon are very good. I had to change the air filter on the FJR due to a mouse living in it but the filter only cost 870B, 1,5XXB seems a bit steep and not necessary with only 1,000km. Was that Kawasaki in BKK?

Aug 2, 2009
This is kawasaki in Chiang mai.

I am curious, whether all repairs should be free the first year. I declined all kind of insurrances, as I considered them too expensive. If I need to pay for all these things, I see no reason to drive 200km to see kawasaki for a small oil change. Also the engine gives a high tone sound when running. My thai biker friends tells me not to worry and I need to live with it. It is nothing but the sound. But I do not like the sound.

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
"I am curious, whether all repairs should be free the first year."
Only defective items will be covered under the warranty, not normal wear and tear or servicing. I got 1 year free insurance with the new Yamaha, you have to pay extra for the Kawasakis.
" I see no reason to drive 200km to see kawasaki for a small oil change." Think yourself lucky, I do a 1,700km round trip to CM for a service. Good excuse to go through Loei, Phu Ruea, Dan Sai, Nakhon Thai Chat Trakan. What's the point having a bike if you ain't going to ride it? Try and sort something out with Kawasaki, if you change the oil, filter etc yourself and show them the receipts the may stamp the service book. I just get Yamaha to do mine at or before the service intervals in case I do have a warranty claim it has a full Yamaha service history.
"It is nothing but the sound. But I do not like the sound."
Buy another bike if it is not pleasing to your ear. Or put a set of straight through pipes on so you can't hear the engine and piss off everybody else.

Dec 27, 2007
allwind wrote:
I am curious, whether all repairs should be free the first year. I declined all kind of insurrances, as I considered them too expensive.
Can afford a half million Baht bike but decides insurance is too expensive?

Sounds like a troll to me... :roll:

Aug 2, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=allwind]
I am curious, whether all repairs should be free the first year. I declined all kind of insurrances, as I considered them too expensive.
Can afford a half million Baht bike but decides insurance is too expensive?

Sounds like a troll to me... :roll:
I prefer to make my own insurrances. I have been in the cases before, where it was pretty the clear insurrance should be paying, and they did not. What ever happens, I am ready to pay myself. This is my generel approach to insurrances.

Aug 2, 2009
2wheels wrote: Allwind,

When I owned a new Kawa and had an issue with Kawa CM, I contacted this good person and he sorted it out;

Khun Tidavan
Director, Retail Sales
02 2477935 extension 112-113

email [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]
Thanks. I will keep this for the future if something happens. For now I have sorted it out and gotten an understanding.

I went this week end with some thai friends on a bike ride. They also had a look at the receive. They told it was not 4 air filters, which were changed. And they told me it was normal for a big bike to need 4 bottles to get opened. And the air filter was not a big deal. If they wanted to change it costing, just let them do it. As I pointed and asked what was this on the paper, it was here the misunderstanding was. I am not gonna make a big problem about if they decide to change the air filter. And the service fee of 200 baht. I dont like it, but it is not gonna change a lot to me.

Still it was a bit confusing after having all these things free for the honda phantom, and then I needed to pay for 4 litres of oil, where the honda phantom oil needs only 1 liter.

Thanks to all the replies.

Aug 2, 2009
And regarding the free stuff. I am pretty sure it was not a misunderstanding. I think everybody knew everything already. Because it is normal to get free stuff when buying a new bike in Thailand. I got what I was promised, but with a hassle. I am not gonna complain any more about that.

Dec 27, 2007
allwind wrote:

Still it was a bit confusing after having all these things free for the honda phantom, and then I needed to pay for 4 litres of oil, where the honda phantom oil needs only 1 liter.
So your conternation over what you thought was an overpriced air filter is really just your inability to read the receipt?

Confusing that a 200cc Phantom requires 1 liter and a 900cc Vulcan requires 4 liters??? :roll:

Good luck! Sounds like you need it! :mrgreen:

Aug 2, 2009
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=allwind]

So your conternation over what you thought was an overpriced air filter is really just your inability to read the receipt?

Confusing that a 200cc Phantom requires 1 liter and a 900cc Vulcan requires 4 liters??? :roll:

Good luck! Sounds like you need it! :mrgreen:
The receipt was in thai. In generel I felt I have had many misunderstanding at the kawasaki place.

And also. It is odd, nobody in here pointed out the liter difference needed for a honda phantom and a kawasaki vulcan.

Dec 27, 2007
allwind wrote:

The receipt was in thai. In generel I felt I have had many misunderstanding at the kawasaki place.

And also. It is odd, nobody in here pointed out the liter difference needed for a honda phantom and a kawasaki vulcan.
Why would any of us ASSUME you don't know the liter difference between a Thai made 200cc Phantom and a Made in Japan 900cc Vulcan when you've been going on about an overpriced AIR FILTER?! :roll:

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

I read with a lot of concern this post exchange, having also same kind of experiences with cumulating quite few bikes bought in Thailand but Friends, please, do not forget WE ARE NOT AT HOME !

Thus better not to compare what is NOT comparable, refrain from criticising all your journey long in LOL, if you are courageous, try to educate people you'ld like to invest in...For my goodself, I rarely do it but sometimes....

If I may, also, please try to understand the language before claiming, bit like Tony said...

But again WE ARE NOT AT HOME, and try to catch it by the nicest piece of it, if not BETTER GO BACK HOME with a better bike service, more comprehensive people, ....

Then please don't think about what you left behind !

NB: for the air filter, if you are not happy, firts ask for the old one and then say that you do not want a new one and replace it before leaving the garage...

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
allwind, I'd say you need a nice thai girlfriend who can read and explain all your bills and make you relax a little...
If I had a nice big cruiser I'd be happy with it and wouldn't miss my free jacket.
Azoulay is right, you can't take the good weather for granted and then complain about the people.
The engine is probably okay, forget the sound, if it breaks down it should be under warranty.