Kawasaki Big Bikes In Thailand

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
David, when looking at your pictures I wonder how tall that girl is - she makes the 250 look like the 140! Enduros are usually tall, and thai girls usually are short, so either the 250 is small or the girl is 5'8"...

It only took a week to get a permanent plate and about an hour for the "English Rego". This turned out to be an A4 sheet with the official translation of the green book. Interestingly, the number plate got transformed into lower and upper case letters and the number gained a leading zero! I onder whether the RAC will accept that.

The Yamaha shop here in Ayutthaya sells a nice looking top case that seems to be a rebadged Givi box for 1800B.

Cheers,
Peter.

kied

Jun 26, 2008
Hi guys,

Does the Rama 9 kawa shop sell the 2009 KLX140L? Any idea how much are they selling them for? Thanks guys.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If Kawa would put a headlight, some turn signals, a license plate and offer a set of supermoto wheels for the KLX140 it would sell like hotcakes for 75K! An ideal economic city hopper and fun off-road - change wheels, strap it on your truck and off you go!

oneton

Jan 22, 2007
I am buying a KLX 250 from Mityon Pattaya junction of South Pattaya Rd - Third Road. I am away, so my other half put down 10000 baht deposit so I can pick up the bike 10th November. She was quoted 159900 with 'special discount' this month to 149900. They were suggesting first class insurance for 7500 baht (which I won't need - I take the minimum required) and 2900 baht to register. Could someone who has purchased a KLX kindly give me the breakdown on what they paid, especially the registration. I thought this should be around 900 baht? I will register it in my own (farang) name. I have to supply the letter from immigration and passport. Maybe there is some extra charge in here somewhere?

On the plus side I shouldn't really complain as the KLX / Ninja is the best deal in Thailand for a new MC to date!!
Also I will have a CB400SF 2003 vtecII for sale once the KLX is sorted,and will post it on the appropriate forum.

Rgds
oneton
Back on the dirt!!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Just hear from the Honda Dealer PP motors that her brother in law. who owns the local Suzuki dealership here in Udon. Has been approaved as a big Bike dealer for Kawa's

Nov 7, 2007
Just ordered a D-Tracker X from dealer in Chiang Mai. They said it will come mid week, e.g. in 2 days. 150,000.
I am not sure it's true but the sales guy told me the KLX and the D-Tracker are the exact same bike save for the tyres (and color).
Ninja looks very sweet but SWMBO vetoed it. And it wouldn't be all that practical with the mud trail to our house. Not gonna be racing around tight corners anywhere near the village either. It would be awesome for trips to Chiang Mai though.

Nov 7, 2007
oneton wrote: I am buying a KLX 250 from Mityon Pattaya junction of South Pattaya Rd - Third Road. I am away, so my other half put down 10000 baht deposit so I can pick up the bike 10th November. She was quoted 159900 with 'special discount' this month to 149900.
149900 is the official price for the KLX and D-Tracker X, and 139900 for the Ninja 250. I was quoted 1500 for rego.

Nov 7, 2007
Picked up the D-Tracker today - wonderful even though I am a bit rusty on the clutch after riding a Wave for 4 years. She's a beauty. Bike was there as promised, dealers were friendly, all was OK.

I also found out the reason why I the deposit was only 1000 BHT - these things are selling like hotcakes. I was one of 3 people in the same half hour period driving away with one. If I hadn't shown up they'd have sold it the next day.

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Last night I was reading through some copies of Motorcycle news(UK). They had a test on the 250 Ninja. The test riders really liked it. They referred to it as being a "restricted" bike. 32bhp for the UK market. However they did manage to get 106mph on a downhill. The test bike was wearing IRC tyres and as the tester said, "No, I haven't heard of them either." Basically they said to get rid of these tyres immediately as they were too hard and offered no feedback and infact the other 250 they tested along side the Ninja was a Hyosong wearing Michelins, which they said helped it to outhandle the Ninja in everyway. Makes you wonder what a de-restricted one on good rubber would go like.

muzza

Apr 24, 2006
I think the D tracker has the same IRC tyres as as the ninja perhaps D tracker owners should also find some new rubber too.

Anybody got some recommendations for 130 and 110/70 17 inch replacements for the D tracker that we can get locally .

Dec 27, 2007
I've heard that the Bridgestone Battleax BT090 is a good replacement for the stock IRC tires that come on the Ninja 250R.
bt090.jpg

Does the D-tracker come with the same IRC tires as the Ninja 250R?

Here's what the description says: "Refined by using the latest technologies from Bridgestone, the BT-090 is perfect for aggressive riding on both circuit and street. The rigidity of the tyre induces better contact feel in corners, especially for slide control during races. The new compound and pattern offer improved grip and handling in both wet and dry conditions, with better high speed stability and anti-shimmy performance ensuring a smooth ride."

Not hard to find here in Bangkok, easily shipped. A lot of guys up the size from the stock 130 to 140 or even 150 for looks, though performance impact is debatable. Here's a good before and after pic for comparison:
250r_larger_tire_compare.jpg

(I'm not sure these are Battleax tires...)

Happy Trails!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Yes Both the D-Tracker and the Ninja 250R use the Same Tyres Front and Rear. I have given a D-Tracker a Pretty good Ride and thought how well the Tyres worked so personally i wouldn't change them? A few Reasons, Price, Wear and Availability being the first Three i could name??? :wink:

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Ian,

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. The IRC Roadwinner tires that came with my Ninja 250R have performed quite well.

There are a lot of people on ThaiVisa who hate IRC tires, but it seems they are mostly CBR 150 owners, and if you ever look at the stock IRC tires on the CBR 150 they do look pretty flimsy :wink:

The joke is that IRC is the sound you hear as your tires slide out from under you- "IIIIRRRRKKKK!" :mrgreen:

Once they're warmed up the IRC Roadwinners stick very well and they are very stable in hard corners and at high speeds. I would have to say that the IRC Roadwinners are a bit too hard for use on a track though...

Anyway- I'm going to wear mine out and then try some Bridgestone Battlax tires to see if I notice a difference.

Happy Trails!

oneton

Jan 22, 2007
I just picked up the KLX250.

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... erms=DR650

Managed to find a bit of mud on the trails, even though it hasn't rained for a few days! Final cost was 149900+2900 for tax+insurance+service charge for green book / plate. Registered in farang name. Purchased from Mityon Pattaya. They have sold 40 assorted Kwak 250s to date. Emission control is high level and there are various parts that could be removed and thrown in the bin I think! The bike has a two year warranty. I am sure all kinds of performance parts will become available.
I heard Tyga Performance are making parts for the Ninja already (they bought one to play with!) www.tyga-performance.com
(Hope the image posts OK - my first one!)

Tony W[/url]

klx250

Sep 24, 2008
congratulations on the new bike oneton......check your chain to see if they have overtightened it, like they did mine.

also when you take it in for the 800km oil change, check the oil level afterwards as they put 2litres in mine when it's supposed to be only 1.5l.

Dec 27, 2007
Hi-
Last time I asked the nice folks at Kwacker HQ on Rama 9 about the GTR 1400 they said there are no plans to import it at this time as it does not pass the Thai emissions test in present form.

Apparently that test is really tough! That's why, for example, Yamaha is selling the California spec FJR 1300 here in Thailand. It's the only version that can pass the Thai emissions test. It's a trip to see the FJRs here in the Land of Smile with US instrumentation (MPH with the kph underneath).

So anyway- unless Kawasaki can come up with a GTR 1400 that will pass Thai emissions I think it will be a while before they are available in the Kingdom.

Happy Trails!

Nov 3, 2009
Help Please - I am currently overseas and my Girlfriend went to purchase a 2010 ER6N on my behalf - no problems (Kawasaki Myton Pattaya).

I required a two brothers muffler to be fitted and they promptly told her this would void (cancel) the warranty.

Is this correct? I have never heard of this anywhere. I immediately (per phone) canceled the order.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks