Lamphun to Khun Tan Railway Station - The long way

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
What fabulous weather we have right now in Chiang Mai. And to know there are so many roads out there, just begging to be ridden, I couldn’t wait to make another excursion.

If you want fast, curvy, mountains, views, railway station and a 350km loop from Chiang Mai, this ride is a real treat.

Setting out at 09:30 from Hang Dong and travelling down the tree lined 106 to Lamphun, I couldn’t help but think about this road 100 years ago. Has it changed that much? Apart from the tarmac and the electricity and paint, I doubt it very much.

normal_DSC_1652.JPG

When you get into Lamphun, it’s a little confusing but if you know where the 106 enters and exits, 12:00 and 19:00 respectively, you just keep circling the town until you find this junction.

normal_DSC_1653.JPG

The 106 south of Lamphun is a wonderful road in it’s own right, all the way down to Li but today I wanted to ride the 1184.

normal_DSC_1658.JPG

At Mae Ao, I took the left onto the 1184 and finally free of any traffic, I enjoyed every straight & every curve. It is a fast road and a very good surface.

normal_DSC_1659.JPG

normal_DSC_1661.JPG

At the bottom of the 1184, Ban Puang T junction, I took the left, towards Soem Ngam.

normal_DSC_1704.JPG

normal_DSC_1674.JPG

normal_DSC_1701.JPG

I stopped for a break at Mae Fok Reservoir and watched this lady fishing. A tranquil setting, only my tinnitus to listen to, along with bird songs and the lapping water on the shore. After the last hour, this road surface was a pain but with care it was still enjoyable.

normal_DSC_1718.JPG

normal_DSC_1725.JPG

After lunch & refuel at Soem Ngam (175 km’s from Chiang Mai), I continued north towards Lampang Luang. On arrival I saw how this area has now degenerated into a tourist spot, I didn’t bother stopping for a look at this fine temple, let alone take a photo of street vendors sqwarking around a carcus (sorry, just my cynicism). I now took the 1034 to Hang Chat and stopped at the Shell coffee shop and sampled their Americano with a Brownie.

Here I met Ake, who arrived at the coffee shop at the same time. We got chatting and it turns out he is a real entrepreneur, a couple of restaurants and a gym in Nakorn Sawan and a website
w640.png
which includes bikes, merchandise and would seem well linked with Harley Davidson in Thailand and a jolly nice chap too.

normal_DSC_1741.JPG

normal_DSC_1742.JPG

Next it was west on the 11 to Mae Tha and then a U turn & left onto the 2031.

normal_DSC_1745.JPG

normal_DSC_1746.JPG

My last trip down here a year ago was very disappointing, the road works rally messed the bike up. Well on joining the road I was smiling ear to ear but all that changed after about 5km’s. Between wet and spongy and dry and gravely, the road through to Tha Pla Duk was just like the lower half of the road I travelled last year.

normal_DSC_1749.JPG

I took the right to join the 3003 up to Khun Tan National Park and visited the Railway Station.

normal_DSC_1812.JPG

By now it was 16:00 and after giving kanom’s to as many of the dogs as possible and enjoying the walk amongst what seemed an old world place, frozen in time.

normal_DSC_1786.JPG

normal_DSC_1776.JPG

The 16:15 from Lamphun was late and after waiting for a super snap of it trundling off into the tunnel, at 16:45 I gave up hope and continued my journey back to the 2031 and north to the 1230.

normal_DSC_1831.JPG

normal_DSC_1845.JPG

I turned onto the 1229 and rode through to Mae On and finally back towards Chiang Mai & Hang Dong with the sun just hitting the horizon at 17:55 with another 181 km’s totalling 356 km’s.

normal_DSC_1859.JPG

As with all my posts, there are a shed load of other photos in my albums here ...

Ally

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Nice one Ally

Specially liked your starting and ending pictures,,,sound's like
good morning and good night...

keep em' coming

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks Marco, yes it sounds that way.

Quite a contrast to the brightness of so many other images we see.

Thanks for the comments.

Ally

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Next time I will do that Colin, took me ages to get that red muck out of places I didn't know existed.

Tomorrow I will start cleaning the bike !

Ally

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hey Ally another top effort - I am in the same boat as Pikey except I am here for maybe 6 weeks before going back to work so I am up for a ride anytime / anywhere that suits. I 've gotta say I think I will buy a Kawasaki 650cc for 225k if its all true bloody cheaper than a Pommy Truimph ah Pikey - shit its unbelieveable a 72 HP reasonable bike ( not a classic ) for 225K in Thailand. Anyhow I hope your new year is going as great as mine, cheers.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
My next trip is planned already:

Wednesday 28th Jan 09:30 Big C/HomePro @ Hang Dong Road, down the 108 to Chom Thong, check out Mae Ya Waterfall that Slash posted this week, lunch in Chom Thong, down to Doi Tao & look at the water level and then back up the 106 for afternoon tea in Lamphun.

Pikey & Kenyam if you wanna come along I would be happy. Any others want a ride, see you at Big C next Wednesday.

Only condition is, you will need to put up with my camera :twisted:

Ally

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ally wrote: My next trip is planned already:

Wednesday 28th Jan 09:30 Big C/HomePro @ Hang Dong Road, down the 108 to Chom Thong, check out Mae Ya Waterfall that Slash posted this week, lunch in Chom Thong, down to Doi Tao & look at the water level and then back up the 106 for afternoon tea in Lamphun.

Pikey & Kenyam if you wanna come along I would be happy. Any others want a ride, see you at Big C next Wednesday.

Only condition is, you will need to put up with my camera :twisted:

Ally
Slash
You might have competition following you - lift your game in the photo department! :roll:
Bring it on Ally :)

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Seems like many of us looking for new KAWA,, i'm intrested as well, it would nice "side" kick, for local commuter.

Oct 4, 2006
Liked the pictures - particularly the train station - looks like an old English branch line disappearing into a tunnel.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Yep, those signals and railway paraphernalia take me back a few years.

normal_DSC_1793.JPG

normal_DSC_1777.JPG

My dad was a fireman on the Great Western and his dad was too! He used to enjoy listening to recordings of trains rattling over rails, under bridges and past water troughs & he would commentate the journeys from memory. Bless him.

He would have liked this place too.

Ally

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Ally see you tommorrow @ 0930 hrs Big C carpark Hang Dong for Bike ride - looks like the weather will be perfect. It would be great if a handfull of riders turn up and make a day of it hey.

regards Ken F

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Brilliant Ken

Yes indeed it would make a good group ride, a variety of roads and a couple of places of interest.

See you tomorrow morning @ Big C !

Ally

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
oops, just caught up on this thread and will have to skip this as I am in the shop until 8/2. The ride is happening as I write so I hope it turned out well.

I've a few friends coming soon and have planned a ride with them from 10/2 to 13/2 (4 days/3 nights). Proposed route is CNX to Chiang Rai via 107/Tha Ton/Doi Mae Salong/Mae Chan. Day 2 to Golden Triangle and kip in Chiang Khong. Day 3 down to Nan via 1148. Day 4 back to CNX via Phayao. Anyone wanting to join, meet at the X-centre for a 10am departure.

Cheers,

Pikey.