Laos Biking Help Needed

Jan 7, 2005
Howdy,
Im a bit new to all this but a few weeks ago myself and a friend of mine bought two honda dreams and we are now in luang prabang i was just wondering if people could held me out with a few things?
I read a post about getting insurance for $3 fro ten days in how manydifferent places is it possible to get this?

Also is there any safety issues on the roads here some guy mentioned snipers to me and put a bit of a scare on me.

Do the police stop people on a regular basis over here or are they as relaxewd as in thailand(we have thai plates but allpaper work is above board and in our names.

I know iprobably should have been more prepared but spontanaiety got the better of us so any info would be really appreciated.
Cheers Padraig

Mar 2, 2005
mmmm 1st insurance I know prople talk about it and things may have changed since I left 1 year ago but the General consensus among us locals was that the insurance was not worth the paper it was printed on.

Re safety issues, Security situation in lao has always been a concern and there have been incidents of things that are in good happening between LP and kassy. HOWEVER if you follow common sense you shouldn’t go wrong. Foreigners have NEVER been targeted by (ad the gov calls them) bad people. If a uniform tells you not to go somewhere DON’T GO. I have always found uniforms to be polite and helpful if treated in kind but do remember that those AK47 are not just for show. The only foreigner to have any trouble on the roads was two tourists that stopped to look at a bus being shot up. Funnily enough they got to join in so just stay away from trouble.

This all sound negative it is not supposed to be. Lao is a wondrous, fab, groovy and safe place. I love dearly. IF YOU TRAVEL WITH YOUR BRAIN AND DO NOT LEAVE IT AT IMIGRATION YOU WILL BE FINE.

Travel safe

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"mmmm 1st insurance I know prople talk about it and things may have changed since I left 1 year ago but the General consensus among us locals was that the insurance was not worth the paper it was printed on"

Just curious - what actual experiences do you know of that show Lao insurance is worthless? Did you or a friend have an accident that damages did not get paid?

Since it is only about $3 US for 10 days of coverage, what is the point of not buying it on a visit to Laos - especially since you are told at the border crossing that it is required!!

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Have to agree with BobS. I actually have no idea of how much is covered on the insurance, but for the minimal cost it is worth it. Just entered Laos at Vientiane a couple days ago and nobody "official" mentioned anything about the insurance or if it is required, but I bought it anyway out of habit.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
In other posts, I have described the entry process at the Friendship Bridge. On several of my trips through there, I have been told by either the Customs office or the outside booth that my next stop was the insurance office.

When you purchase the insurance, they give you a windshield sticker and the plastic to attach it - similar to Thailand.

Same as the temporary import sticker for the windshield - one would assume that if they want it displayed on the vehicle, somebody out there is going to be looking for it.

Of course, I never did display either on the bike, and was never stopped or questioned. Also, I never needed to test how good or bad the insurance was.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"