Laos/vietnam 'visa On Arrival' Crossings That Remain Active In The North

daniel hart

Sep 27, 2017
My friends and I plan to ride from Chiang Mai, Thailand to the Ha Giang Loop of Vietnam by way of Laos. We've ridden across Laos before, and I got my visa on arrival at Huay Xai. This time, I would plan to do the same, and then exit Laos at Pang Hoc.

However, when it comes time to come home and come back across Laos, I do not believe I can use the same crossing as I have read that Pang Hoc has recently stopped issuing VOA's. I have tried to find another border crossing in Northern Lao, and while I see them on the map, I can not find any names that match on lists of border crossings that issue VOA's.

So, my question is: Does anyone know if there are any Lao entry points, in the north, that still issue VOA's? It looks like M. Nonghet may be the northern most point where they still issue them, but I am uncertain.

Thank you
Daniel

daniel hart

Sep 27, 2017
I'd be inclined to ask them about crossing back into Laos. Where can you re enter Laos with a visa on arrival.
Alternatively investigate the e visa options.

Good point, I sent them an email to see if they know. I read a bit about the eVisa but it seemed like it wasn't up and running yet, but I will look again. Thanks!

daniel hart

Sep 27, 2017
From the research I did it didn’t seem like evisa wasnt active yet.

In the mean time my thai friend got his thai bike across into Vietnam with no fee. So, for the time being, that’s possible.

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
From the research I did it didn’t seem like evisa wasnt active yet.

In the mean time my thai friend got his thai bike across into Vietnam with no fee. So, for the time being, that’s possible.

"got his thai bike across into Vietnam with no fee" that sounds interesting, do you have anymore info to share?
What bike?
Where did he get in?

E visa is operating at 5 ports of entry
Pop_Up-Message.png

Lao Visa Online | Lao eVisa Authorization Application

Last edited:
Reactions: Eoin Christie

daniel hart

Sep 27, 2017
"got his thai bike across into Vietnam with no fee" that sounds interesting, do you have anymore info to share?
What bike?
Where did he get in?

E visa is operating at 5 ports of entry
View attachment 133935

Lao Visa Online | Lao eVisa Authorization Application

Ah ok, the Laos eVisa crossing are all airports or Thai land crossings. Nothing on the Vietnam side at the moment.

As far as my friends trip on his Thai bike into Vietnam; he crossed from Laos to Vietnam at Nam Phao, rode the Ha Giang loop, and then crossed back into Laos at Pang Hoc. He was riding 2 up on a BMW GS800. One bike, no tour guide, no problem. This was about two weeks ago. However, he said he heard that after he went others tried to repeat it and were then denied the crossing as usual. Not sure how many people got in during that 30 day or so window, or if it will open back up again, or what prompted the flexibility, but it seemed to have all started when the Thai woman (that rode to Europe) got in and shared her report.

Reactions: Eoin Christie